ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Naples MK1 Track car project

The bottom end he bought didnt have a dipstick tube - when we went to fit one of my spares we realised whoever had the bottom end must have snapped the old one off, as there was still part of it stuck in the hole...

Couldnt get it out so Adam took the engine out, removed the sump and removed the bit of tube. Fitted the new dipstick tube and thats all fine now - ready to go back in...

...Until he came to put the gearbox back on and realised the clutch release bearing was knackered/cracked as it had been fitted wrong a few days earlier, so he's having to get a new bearing before it can go back in...

Mk1 F4R
The bottom end he bought didnt have a dipstick tube - when we went to fit one of my spares we realised whoever had the bottom end must have snapped the old one off, as there was still part of it stuck in the hole...

Couldnt get it out so Adam took the engine out, removed the sump and removed the bit of tube. Fitted the new dipstick tube and thats all fine now - ready to go back in...

...Until he came to put the gearbox back on and realised the clutch release bearing was knackered/cracked as it had been fitted wrong a few days earlier, so he's having to get a new bearing before it can go back in...

Cheers f0xy

Having a look at the dipstick we thoughet it was something like an outer casing where the new dipstick would push into, i was wrong and it was the actual dipstick and had been snapped off, so this ment the engine had to come out, gearbox off to then discovered i had fitted the releas bearing wrong. (need to buy a new one) Opened up the sump and it took the whole of 5 seconds to knock the dipstick out and then fit the new one. Everything is now ready to go back in.

Engine out

IMG_4897.jpg

Gearbox split, clutch and flywheel off

IMG_4898.jpg

To then find this that id fitted wrong

IMG_4911.jpg

Engine was then put on to the stand and then the jack under for more support

IMG_4912.jpg

Dipstick were it had split

IMG_4913.jpg

IMG_4914.jpg

Inside the bottom end view, placed a bolt ontop and then hit it out

IMG_4919.jpg

new one beside the snapped one

IMG_4921.jpg

The new dipstick was fitted and then everything else refitted, cant put the gearbox on till i get a new release bearing and then i can put it back into the car

Since i cant do much with the engine ive had the little black bit from the topmoutnt milled down 6 mm so the suspension will fit
(fits on the underside of the topmount to align the shock)

This bit not to sure wot its called

IMG_4873.jpg

IMG_4875.jpg

This now allows the thread on the suspension to come up the topmount more and i can now get the nut on, some of the people on the ast group buy have had this problem, i think im the first to try this and it does work

IMG_4882.jpg

IMG_4881.jpg

The front brakes have also been fitted

IMG_4868.jpg

IMG_4867.jpg

The throttle cable problem has been sorted by cutting the rubber back to show more cable (i think the tb is off megane 2.0 or laguna 1.8 8v maybe a few others)

IMG_4865.jpg

Found myself the non pas brackets off the volvo 480

IMG_4855.jpg

Test fitted and painted

IMG_4859.jpg

IMG_4871.jpg

The bumpers have been fitted back on and the wheels too, dropped down off the axel stands aswell and made it all the way out the garrage for the first time in god knows how many months

IMG_4922.jpg

IMG_4930.jpg

IMG_4940.jpg

more updates soon

Mk1 Ph3
Just got my first car: MK1 Clio. It's so good to see the progress you've made over the time, helps me have a few ideas for what to do with mine. Will be sure to stick around here for a long while :D

BMW M5 & E36
Just got my first car: MK1 Clio. It's so good to see the progress you've made over the time, helps me have a few ideas for what to do with mine. Will be sure to stick around here for a long while :D

Hello! Any problems then give Adam a shout, he's ace :star:

Mk1 F4R
looking good mate
glad the stand was off use ;)

Big thanks wilky for lending it to us :D

Glade ive helped someone out with some ideas, will we be seeing a project thread

Cars looking great! Will have to give the topmount thing a try

Seems to work fine, also when i put the nuts on i put loctite on the thread too just to be extra safe

Mk1 F4R
Hello! Any problems then give Adam a shout, he's ace :star:

come on give the guy a brake its his first post prob not looked at anyother threads yet

If you do need any help or inspiration look up f0xys thread ;)

OR whiteleys he's ace too :slap:

Last edited:
  Mk1 F4R
My oz f1's have now been sold and gone to a good home, the reason for selling them is the offset of them 45 and i wanted something less like another set of williams wheels 37 or something with a similar offset. Lo and behold! a set came up on the bay and i picked them up lastnight, not a bad price too.

Williams wheels + R888 still a little bit of life in them but not road legal, id say i could get a track day out of them

IMG_4956.jpg

Ill be posting an update later as the engine is going back in, finaly can get some work done :D

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
new wheels look good
may have to come down and nick them, two sets of willy wheels just isn't cricket lol

Mk1 F4R
Oooh, nice!

Nice one , getting there quick enough

wheels look cool Adam.
whens the first outing for this beast then?

Hes booking Rockingham on the 14th June, lol.
Engines back in but plenty to do now!

Cheers guys, the first day as f0xy said its going to be the day after fcs at rockingham, looking forward to it but its going to be a rush

new wheels look good
may have to come down and nick them, two sets of willy wheels just isn't cricket lol

lol :rasp:

Mk1 F4R
So... the new clutch release bearing that id been waiting for turned up at renault yesterday, Big thanks to jord for going to get my parts as i was at work and wouldnt of got the engine back in if he hadnt of picked them up

new release bearing and the snapped one

IMG_4973.jpg

gearbox then went back on and then lifted into the car, alternator and 4th mount also fitted. Tonight im going to go and sort the wiring out :dead: not my best point lol

How the car looks now

IMG_4980.jpg

IMG_4981.jpg

IMG_4982.jpg

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
this is looking very nice!

love the white touches, even though they will be a nightmare to keep clean!

i gave up on mine and painted them black instead! :eek:

Mk1 F4R
Black wheels look good. Are they staying black or all going white?

Not really decided but im liking the look of the anthercite wheels, so think they will stay like that

this is looking very nice!
love the white touches, even though they will be a nightmare to keep clean!
i gave up on mine and painted them black instead! :eek:

Cheers, was thinking that as ive put my fingers on the fuel rail guard and its filthy :mad: Now i have the new wheels in anthercite im thinking it looks alot more track looking lol might do other thing that colour too

chop chop then to get it done for FCS!

im trying to lol

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
This is really coming along nicely :)

Ive not read about using the volvo 480 brackets before though, I would love to get rid of my Aircon, would these brackets work with the original alternator rather than the cup setup? Im unsure of which your using.

Hes using the valver alternator, im using one from an espace diesel with the same brackets (Come on a 480 or a low poverty spec Mk1). The normal 172 alternator does not fit (well my 172 Ph1 didnt line up), but im guessing the cup one might.

Mk1 F4R
The car started briefly (as i turned it off as it was 10.45) lastnight after the 10th time lol had to rig it up with jump leads because i didnt have some of the earth leads needed, go to sort that out over the weekend. Thanks to jord for lending some relays
Well it came to life for a short while after swapping relays and earths from my wiring onto Adams earlier :)
Hopefully try it again over the weekend when the down pipe is sorted and then i can cheak all the wiring to see if it is ok
Thanks For the comments guys

BMW E36 328
The car started briefly (as i turned it off as it was 10.45) lastnight after the 10th time lol had to rig it up with jump leads because i didnt have some of the earth leads needed, go to sort that out over the weekend. Thanks to jord for lending some relays
Hopefully try it again over the weekend when the down pipe is sorted and then i can cheak all the wiring to see if it is ok
Thanks For the comments guys

And a big thanks to rob for lending the car that helped bring the beast to life lol, when you rekon your gona have the wiring sorted out mate?