ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Naples MK1 Track car project

'92 172, Lotus Elise
go for it f0xy :p

geesus, if you find a spare, let me know ;)

and adam, that box is rubbish, you don't really want it. I'll take it off your hands :D

In reality, f*ck all difference IMO. Some people also say they are slightly stronger but Im not convinced.

Just done this comparison...

JB3-048_vs_JC5-014.jpg

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
from how i read it, the williams box is the one 'not' to have, not only has it a taller final drive, but theres a larger rev drop into 5th than both the drop into 4th and the valver box, right where you dont want a bigger rev drop!

Assuming mines a valver box (the gear speeds appear to match etc but the number on my box doesnt exsist on the superb excel file foxy sent me :() im happy enough with the ratio's themselves for a standard box, tho there is a big drop between 1st and 2nd, maybe not so noticable now i have the f7r, but its still there, so im keeping my eyes open for a jb3 037 box as it has a slightly taller 1st, and swap the 5th from the box i have ( as i read somewhere on here its possible to do under the end 'cap' like a ford ib box) then ill have the best avalible from the standard box's for what im using the car for:D

On a different note, someone i know is breaking a complete 172 if you need any bits? Im tempted with the engine just to squirrel away incase either the f7r isnt up to scratch or it goes bang.

Mk1 F4R
little update

We are moving house so i decided to move the car round there, did it late at night as there was not bumper, wings and engine in/on it or tax and went the long way round off the main roads good job its only 1 min down the road, only did it as i had no other way of getting it there. It has a lot bigger garage which is a great help and i think the new house is awesome

IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3702.jpg

IMG_3785.jpg

IMG_3786.jpg

Been craking on with cutting out the boot and ive just started on the bonnet too, done a little more on the wiring and spraying and painting things ready for fitting

Before
IMG_3790.jpg

After
IMG_3793.jpg

I am in the middle of putting in the battery cut off switch in, the scuttle panel pull is fitted and in the right place and works fine, also drilled a hole in the scuttle panel ready for when its fitted. Need to find somewere to fit the inside one, any ideas of were i can put it as im only putting the top dash back in

IMG_3798.jpg

IMG_3800.jpg

Mk1 F4R
Made a good start on cutting the bonnet out before everone else came round, This is were i got upto

IMG_3804.jpg

IMG_3806.jpg

Gone throught the bonnet on the right hand side of the pic which is the near side, hopefully its not too bad and ill be able to sort it out, ill not be cutting it so close on the other side. Should be all finished tomorrow thats if i dont cut anymore of my fingers lol :clown:
The remaining bits of metal and putty will be heated upo and then removed

Also drawn up some nice shapes on some 1.6mm steal to cover up the holes on the floor were the plastic grommets are as they are getting abit tatty and missing, also were the heating pipes come through on the bulk head as im not putting the heaters back in so they need covering up too
Then all that will be left to cut is were the blower unit was in the scuttle and then tiger sealed into place

IMG_3801.jpg

More tomorrow

Mk1 F4R
Bonnet got finished off yesterday but it still needs tidying up and then should all be good to fit aerocatches

Heres how it looks now

IMG_3821.jpg

IMG_3822.jpg

IMG_3830.jpg

I have left these bits on so i dont have to mess around sealing the vent into place and it also attached to the catch too so its giving support to that also

IMG_3829.jpg

The remaining bits of metal witch were stuck down i just heated them up with a heat gun till it was tacky and it then came straight off

IMG_3831.jpg

Doing more later as there is still 100&1 things left lol

Mk1 F4R
Good job on the bonnet, better than my effort!

Cheers, i have left the top part on because im sure you have seen jords when he hits like 70 and its flapping all over the place lol hopefully this will stop this from happening also left the two bits in the corners for a little bit more strength if i need to stand it up anywere
I have gone through in one place deffo and some other places ive gone into the metal but not all the way through and the paint has bubbled a little, sortable with the grinder and a rattle can ;)

Last edited:
  Mk1 Clio F4R'd
I'm going to do the bonnet on mine too, already half done. But its looking good, wish my luck and progress was heading in the same direction :(

Mk1 F4R
I'm going to do the bonnet on mine too, already half done. But its looking good, wish my luck and progress was heading in the same direction :(

cheers savi, So have you just cut it out were the engine goes
Progress is now slowly getting there

Nice garage :)

Good effort on the de-skinning, I was sh*tting myself when i did my bonnet, was really worried about going through.

You gona get some of this for the boot?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200449041907

Sharp edges FTL

Thats the one thing i was trying not to do, go throught the bonnet gone through in one place and its bubbled the paint in two other places, personally i thought there would of been more as it was my first time at doing it.
Lol one step ahead on the edging, already done yesterday ill put a pic up later
cheers for the info, i get mine from my dads work thats if they have any in
Having this new garage makes things 100 time easier

Mk1 F4R
The car is now up on 4 axel stads and the rear beam has been removed, took a good hour or so to take it off. Its been taken off because whoever had the car before me had hit the torsion bar in to far, i can get it out on the car as the shel is it the way to get a good swing on a slide hammer. Whilst its off get the tosion bar out wire brush it and then a lick of hammerite

IMG_3838.jpg

Ive been told there should be a gap in the middle on both sides on the bottom rail, you can see the right side has a gap but not the left as its been hit in to far

IMG_3839.jpg

Underneath of the car is also looking tatty so this is also going to get a tidy up too and braided lines fitted befor the beam goes back on

IMG_3842.jpg

Gave the garage a good clean and sweep out (grinding dust ftl) i know it still looks messy but better than it was

IMG_3845.jpg

Also put some shelves up for all my goodies

IMG_3848.jpg

An hour? It took more like three hours due to you moaning about your arms being tired from undoing the 4 beam bolts, LOL.

Mk1 F4R
Few new items purchased

1.2 fuel filler to get rid of the one on the valver as its pritty big and was in the way when removing the rear shocks
Underbody sealant and a few cans of white paint and primer

IMG_3875.jpg

Picked up a new rear beam yesterday as the one that was on my car, well whoever had it before me hit the torsion bar in to far and cant get it out so rather than mess round with it i thought it would be easier to get a fresh one

Mk1 16v 172 hybrid
Nice work on the car you have done loads sine I last seen it. The garage is wel bigger than your old one bet it's alot better working on the car in it. If your in this week I will have to call round and look at the car. :)

Mk1 F4R
Nice work on the car you have done loads sine I last seen it. The garage is wel bigger than your old one bet it's alot better working on the car in it. If your in this week I will have to call round and look at the car. :)
Nothings changed since you last saw it really, lol.

Cheers dale, like said ^ still looks the same as it did a while ago but waiting for parts and the nuts from kam racing (again) as the last ones didnt fit, also just been getting things ready for it to all go on

Lol he dose take ages to do stuff he just needs a kick up the arse.

Lol also true

good progess, love the garage. so jealous!

Thanks, the garage is awesome finaly got room to work on the car

and an easter egg ;)

Lol went down a treat with a brew ;)

Mk1 F4R
Well were do i start quite abit has been done over the last week or so

After picking up the rear beam the torsion bars have been taken out (these ones are fine). All has been wire brushed and sanded down ad has now been painted

IMG_3959.jpg

IMG_3958.jpg

Steering rack has been removed and the new track rod ends hae finaly gone on, it took 30 mins of heat to get the old track rod ends out they seemed to be rusted in

IMG_3853.jpg

IMG_3854.jpg

The pinion was romoved and then stuffed with grease as im using it as a non-pas rack, feels nice and smooth now

IMG_3856.jpg

IMG_3857.jpg

Also as im using it as a non-pas steerng rack there was no use for the pipes on the rack so i cut the nuts off the ends and then filled them with weld and all is good

IMG_3858.jpg

IMG_3859.jpg

Then re fitted it

IMG_3869.jpg

Decided to give the rear arches and underneath of the car a good clean and remove the auxiliary tank

From this

IMG_3882.jpg

removed the auxiliary tank and found this, great something elseill have to fix

IMG_3897.jpg

to this

IMG_3898.jpg

I then got some metal bent to the right size and f0xy came and helped me weld it onto the car. Cheers mate big help

IMG_3954.jpg

IMG_3948.jpg

IMG_3951.jpg

We ran out of gas but its 100 times beter than it was

IMG_3970.jpg

Rear arches painted

IMG_3904.jpg

IMG_3902.jpg

and then finally this, also fitted the rear beam back on

IMG_3983.jpg

more later