ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my ph1 - TO BUILD or BREAK

you definitely speak alot of sense james, but as of yet you owe me nothing...lol
I have been thinking of other approaches to the shell, ie wrapping it etc, can i ask how much your wrap set you back? (pm if you like),
i have put a feeler out to a friend of a friend who is just about to set-up by himself wrapping so could work out.... we will see...
Haha I still owe you though :)

Yeah I just don't think the £3500 is a necessity as much as it would be nice to do and also awesome when finished! The wrap cost about £800+vat off the top of my head, I do think it's a great method of protecting race cars but I would never have one on a road car just because it is such a pain to keep clean! Everything sticks to it like s**t and you can't use the majority of chemicals to get them off! Really is a PITA. That obviously only applies to the Matte finish and the gloss one's are easier to keep on top of but they can dull quite quickly. If your living at Milton Keynes then I had discussions with a wrapping company there and they offered to do the car for about £900 all in and there work is top notch and using great quality vinyl. As always if need anything give me a call or drop me a message :)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Why did you take it apart in the first place? Genuine question as ive not been following

if you mean at the very start (back 2 years ago), it was because i had a crack in the airbox, this was removed and sent for some work, at this point i had the chance to buy another car to get around in meaning the clio would be a second car, and that was when i chose to go this route with it. I make no secret that i probably wouldn't have gone this way had i not worked for fastcar, working on the magazine aloud me to get parts and products i otherwise would not have been able to afford, i doubt i would be able to do it again, i just wouldn't have the money for this kind of spec.

Haha I still owe you though :)

Yeah I just don't think the £3500 is a necessity as much as it would be nice to do and also awesome when finished! The wrap cost about £800+vat off the top of my head, I do think it's a great method of protecting race cars but I would never have one on a road car just because it is such a pain to keep clean! Everything sticks to it like s**t and you can't use the majority of chemicals to get them off! Really is a PITA. That obviously only applies to the Matte finish and the gloss one's are easier to keep on top of but they can dull quite quickly. If your living at Milton Keynes then I had discussions with a wrapping company there and they offered to do the car for about £900 all in and there work is top notch and using great quality vinyl. As always if need anything give me a call or drop me a message :)

cheers mate,
I actually put a feeler out to someone last night, it just so happens that a friend of a friend is about to go into business wrapping, he use to do so as a profession, i have been quoted £500 for normal quality vinyl or £700 for better vinyl, the thought here could be that i could get the car prepped/treated then just wrapped, could save a large amount of money... but i am still trying to make my decision

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Do not break it. You have to finish this! Always been such a nice car, would be a shame to throw away all your hard work! :(

53 Clio's & counting
IMO I think it falls down to money and time.

If you think the money spend on it would be better spent elseware then break it, and buy another one off here which has had £££ thrown at it - this also goes for time, if you think you won't have the time then it's better to get rid, buy something you can actually use and enjoy it - buying a modified Clio off here and fitting some of your 'trick 'bits to it will be cheaper, faster and easier.

BUT,

The whole point of modifying a car is the enjoyment in doing it - if you didn't enjoy the fun of building it mate, you would have paid some company to do it for you.

I can tell you enjoy doing it, and due to the fact money and time isn't an issue, then I would suggest carrying on with it.

I would get a few mates together and have a good wekend on it - you will make a good bit of progress on it, and it will give your enthusiasm a big boost.

SQ5
I genuinely regret breaking my first Supercharged one, I should of left it 6 months and worked in it over the winter.

It would of been awesome if I'd of finished.

Stick with it, I've been through enough Clios now to know I only come back to them so keep this and use a dip in dip out project. It'll all be worth it.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Stop been such a girl Neil!

Trust me its such a great feeling when you finally finish the car and drive it for the first time. Remember I was in a similar boat to you. Stripping a car down and building it back up with new parts.

Just get it painted and build it back up. £3500 seems quite a lot for getting the shell painted by your mate? £3500 is a lot of trackdays!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
thanks for the various comments, opinions people,
have been having a good think about it over the weekend, although i have a lot on....

when talking to other people about it i think it is quite apparent to myself that i don't want to give in and break it, i think i just need to work out how to progress whilst everything else is going on. The money would be nice, and i could probably go out and buy something else much cheaper and then bank a load of dollar, but the thing i would by would be knowhere near the same spec and whats the point in money in the bank anyways....

i think i have made my decision but i will be having a chat this week with my painter mate to go over a few things, hopefully i can progress in some way from there.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I'm still not sure how you can live with yourself for taking apart the nicest car on cliosport.

Get on it!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
I'm still not sure how you can live with yourself for taking apart the nicest car on cliosport.
Get on it!

thats a very nice compliment,
i was very happy with the car at that point, but it didn't stay like that for long, little bits needed doing and when another car came along it seemed natural for it....