ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.8t with O2m or 02j?

Clio 182
Hi guys,

This maybe somewhere but I haven’t been able to find a much detailed post about the o2m/o2j gearboxes with the BAM225 engine.

I done a Turbo conversion on my Clio 7-8 years ago. (Hit 330bhp) And I want to return to owning one but this time with a vag lump.

Once I return from travelling I want to carry out a restoration project.

Fully strip back and respray ,

Below is the idea I have but I have a question regarding transmission & wiring.
I’m a HGV technician myself so am able to carry some fabrication work . I know Fabrication Subframe to fit engine is required and custom mounts and shafts.

With the shafts, do I require to send a VAG shaft and clio shaft to company and they combine the lengths and sleeve?
Or do I require to measure what is require on the lengths of the shafts?

So my idea is to carry out a BAM 225 Conversion.

Fully forge Pistons and Rods, Supertech valves.
Uprated Inlet
Either go for a ko4 - 064 (on mk6 golf rs)
Which is good upto 360bhp
Or contemplating going Garrett turbo.

Has anyone fitted designed a tubular manifold to there BAM builds?

I would go Emerald ECU , with the wiring side of things, would I require to still use the clio Ignition / key etc, dials or Can I fit VAG dials, is it simply splicing the Engine Loom of the BAM into the Emerald ECU, and chucking the Clio loom?

In terms of transmission - I’d prefer o2m box, however I have only seen o2m fitted on a Clio engine in a Clio , and not BAM! Any links to what is required?

Anyone know if it’s been done? As O2js are not great boxes and I’d prefer a 6 speed box with reliability.
Has a 4wd been done ?

Is there ways I can keep Speed limiter etc with the Emerald ECU?

Other than that I will run, roll cage, 2 x Recaro Pole positions, Willwood 4 pots, clio 200 rear diffuser conversion, v6 spoiler, 2118s,

The build I understand will be around £15k minimum to do. But this is a longtime project I will carry out. 👍

Any info and links I’d massively appreciate so I can fully prepare on what is needed and any information on my list.

Attached is my old clio turbo build

Attachments

• IMG_0277.jpeg
    IMG_0277.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0278.jpeg
    IMG_0278.jpeg
    326.1 KB · Views: 19

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
[D7R TV on Youtube]

This guy is running an 02J, might be something in this video (or his others) that's useful to you

Build sounds mega, look forward to seeing it

Clio 182
Nice one , thank you this goes through o2j by looks of things, hopefully there another one that goes through o2m.

AWD is really intriguing me, it’s not that the matter of how, it’s where I can do it, a lot of work,
If I was to do it, I’d probably most likely do it

S3 or TT rear diff, with a racing traction control unit,

The question for the rear axle would be, to either fabricate the diff onto the Clio rear axle and build custom shafts to fit rear hub axle, or use the s3/audi axle to custom make with Clio axle to fit?

fabricated Prop Tunnel, most likely have to relocate or make a custom fuel tank.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You'll need the audi axle I would have thought, and it'll be a ton of work for minimal gains.

There's quite a difference between being able to fabricate the parts onto the chassis, to actually making it perform well under hard use. Not just that, you want it to perform better than the setup you replaced, otherwise it will have been a massive waste of time.

Keep it FWD, just do the engine swap and see how you like it.

Personally I wouldn't bother with half the engine work you've got planned either. You can make just about 300bhp on the stock engine, stock turbo.
You want to add thousands and thousands into the build on rods, pistons, valves, springs, manifold, turbo etc etc.
For what?? an extra 60hp??

Save the money and take the 300 you can easily get, it's not like the car will be slow.

Clio 182
You'll need the audi axle I would have thought, and it'll be a ton of work for minimal gains.

There's quite a difference between being able to fabricate the parts onto the chassis, to actually making it perform well under hard use. Not just that, you want it to perform better than the setup you replaced, otherwise it will have been a massive waste of time.

Keep it FWD, just do the engine swap and see how you like it.

Personally I wouldn't bother with half the engine work you've got planned either. You can make just about 300bhp on the stock engine, stock turbo.
You want to add thousands and thousands into the build on rods, pistons, valves, springs, manifold, turbo etc etc.
For what?? an extra 60hp??

Save the money and take the 300 you can easily get, it's not like the car will be slow.
Yeah I get you, that’s why I am 50/50 with the decision.

The reason I want to build the engine up is to always have the decision to go higher, whilst I have all the shell a part it would make sense to get everything done while it’s out,
I had a 330bhp in my previous build, and I wanted more.

I had an 380bhp golf edition 30 and I loved it, but again, intrigued to try more.

If I could I would love to build a 500bhp clio, I know it’s been done before.
So building a fully forged engine if I was to make that decision would be why if I was decide to go down that route.

Which is why the FWD OR AWD decision to make if I was to ever decide to push that 500 barrier to handle to power.

It would be like you explained, making sure that the setup is an actual gain or not. Improve or make the handling worse.

I like to try things different that no one has done.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Sack off the emerald ecu for another standalone that can talk to the clio canbus system.

I use Ecumaster black and stock dash works fine, i believe maxxecu and link also work.

Clio 182
So a little update regarding this after some conversations with some old friends and other guys that have carried out similar builds.

My thinking has not stopped.

I was thinking of going down the route of a Audi TT rear Suspesnon but it’s too wide.

The other option is to use a Mazda Mx5 Rear subframe and Diff as they’re similar size and less fabrication is required.

A guy I use to know well told he had carried it out.

I will be going with the o2m gearbox and ECU wise I’ve heard to use a me7.5 ecu , which is the standard ECU in the newer Vags, Audis, these ECUs are very tuneable. I then potentially should be able to run the cabling much easier?

I have been thinking long and hard to fit a v6 body kit, which I know are fround upon, due to the wheels not being centre.

However, I can realign the new rear axle I believe reading up, 45mm backwards to centralise the rear hub. Area

Whilst I have a bare shell I can cut out the rear quarters and roll out, weld a wider side end with box frame.

The only question really does the front hubs not sit central like the rear? If so , that maybe the question to ask on how to centralise it , been trying to get in touch with a guy called Bradley Jenkins who carried out an amazing v6 rep on his 1.2.

New fuel tank to run like a v6.

This has been done properly and I plan on doing the same.

Anyone carried the same thing out on here and done a good job?

The overall goal is to build a mint show car with lots of power.

Clio v500? 🫣😂