ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Inferno Story...

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
Not really done a great deal with this of late to be honest as with it being kids summer holidays, when we head out, we use the family wagon. So I’ve just been using it when I can and everytime before I do I think I’ll sell it and get something more practical… but then I drive it!! Grin ear to ear!! So in the hope I hang onto it longer I’ve fitted some more of the carbon parts I’ve secured from @Coops Mk1
5F7811E1-347A-449A-804D-1F708EDDA1EC.jpeg
A3992BCE-1BAC-4F66-AFF6-74F0A0704B97.jpeg
A45B9F67-7EE5-46B7-9276-E6DAB398CB84.jpeg
067AA7D1-76B3-4BAB-B483-44813D6C92F8.jpeg
E012A07C-1BD2-4F2A-A920-64367C3233F7.jpeg
918683BE-2564-4FBC-A31F-BBAF3AFAF580.jpeg
6E9D37C4-EC6A-4EDF-8577-A0C3AED67BAA.jpeg

I have also arranged the purchase of a yozza exhaust from @-Rob which ill collect when I come back from this trip. Supposedly the best sounding exhaust for a 182 so we shall see.
4E190257-F769-464E-ACE4-EB3179582BF2.jpeg

Once this is fitted and sorted it’ll be off to Alex to finally get my map sorted and see what numbers she can really make since forging and then it’ll be onto suspension refresh time… Unless I sell it before then.

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
Yozza!

I mean, they look the business and I love the sound. I toyed with the idea if buying that also, but it's just come at the wrong time.

Nice purchase 👌
Thank you, I’ve never actually heard one in person and the audio clips I’ve seen/heard haven’t been the best tbh.
I am hoping it sounds good, I mean it should and the Milltek is ok but… Yozza! 😂

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Thank you, I’ve never actually heard one in person and the audio clips I’ve seen/heard haven’t been the best tbh.
I am hoping it sounds good, I mean it should and the Milltek is ok but… Yozza! 😂
You’ll love it, it’s a little bit yobbish - it’ll be interesting to see what it sounds like with the turbo!

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
So I am just home from collecting the Yozza fro @-Rob Thank you again but my thought now turn to mounting said exhaust.
After a quick search on here I'm shocked to discover that UHT exhaust silicon is all that is required for gasket material!!
I would have expected there to be a proper gasket of some description not just silicon!! :eek:
So do i stick with the tried and tested UHT? or is it worth looking for someone local to me who can put a V band on it??

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Silicone will be fine, works better than exhaust paste. I had a slip joint on our megane milltek blow like f**k, used normal clear silicone and no blowing since. High temp not even necessary any general purpose clear will do. Dont use it pre lambda as it can knacker it.

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
Silicone will be fine, works better than exhaust paste. I had a slip joint on our megane milltek blow like f**k, used normal clear silicone and no blowing since. High temp not even necessary any general purpose clear will do. Dont use it pre lambda as it can knacker it.
Cheers @Brigsy I'm very surprised by the use of silicon though I must admit!! But i guess V banding would be better??

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Vband is better if they are the type that have the locating groove. The vband that have no locating groove are ok but not amazing. Also make sure they do not warp when welded on or they can blow.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Wouldn’t bother with a V band unless you’re 100% set on having that exhaust and you’re happy with it. VHT silicone is more than adequate and all the BTM exhausts are like it. Mine wore a BTM for years with just VHT silicone between the flanges.
If you fit it and you love it, get a V band added at a later date if you really feel the need.

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
So this is what I’ve gone for… The silicone is good for -40 to +250.
Nut and bolt combo is m10 x 40mm with 2 type of locking washer, other suggestions welcomed 👍🏻
F3B09575-1349-4FED-8D86-E68754257F58.jpeg

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
So I’m going to start this post how I should have ended it… The Yozza is fitted!!
6092AF5F-6FA8-4F60-83AC-90DD082318A1.jpeg

But the link pipe is not!

I went to the car full of joy this morning so pleased to be fitting such a piece to the inferno but my joy soon turned to despair.
I had the Milltek off the car within 6mins, the Yozza hung and sat perfectly within 15min but when I grabbed the link pipe I soon realised it wasn’t all going to fit!
76DECFC9-A27E-4A6A-A3F1-5EAEBD30DCBD.jpeg

The Milltek is sleeved on the back box section as seen in the picture below where as the picture above shows the link pipe, a standard size pipe with no flaired section. Frantic calls made to mates to see if anybody had a expander tool to which no one did prompted a £30 purchase from the local Wilco which won’t be here until Tuesday lunchtime. Hopefully I’ll be able to stretch the link pipe enough to slip over the centre section
79325405-BDEB-42DA-B165-AFBA00BE5D26.jpeg

In other news but I forgot to get photos of I have done the seat belts with hot vanish in a bucket and using a pressure washer they have come up brand new. Also I have fitted a new door strap as the one fitted had a horrendous clicking noise when opening.

Fingers crossed the exhaust will all be sorted by later next week!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
So I’m going to start this post how I should have ended it… The Yozza is fitted!!
View attachment 1609425
But the link pipe is not!

I went to the car full of joy this morning so pleased to be fitting such a piece to the inferno but my joy soon turned to despair.
I had the Milltek off the car within 6mins, the Yozza hung and sat perfectly within 15min but when I grabbed the link pipe I soon realised it wasn’t all going to fit!
View attachment 1609423
The Milltek is sleeved on the back box section as seen in the picture below where as the picture above shows the link pipe, a standard size pipe with no flaired section. Frantic calls made to mates to see if anybody had a expander tool to which no one did prompted a £30 purchase from the local Wilco which won’t be here until Tuesday lunchtime. Hopefully I’ll be able to stretch the link pipe enough to slip over the centre section
View attachment 1609424

In other news but I forgot to get photos of I have done the seat belts with hot vanish in a bucket and using a pressure washer they have come up brand new. Also I have fitted a new door strap as the one fitted had a horrendous clicking noise when opening.

Fingers crossed the exhaust will all be sorted by later next week!
I'm struggling to see why you can't slide those two together on the bottom picture? They'll be tight but they'll fit together.

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
After watching numerous videos of exhaust expander tools I’ve decided to cancel the purchase and instead go for a sleeved option. Not only is this cheaper but will save a fair bit of hassle and grief when I can’t flair the link pipe due to wall thinkness, strength of the steal and cheapness of the tool!
I will however have to trim the link pipe back a bit to allow for the sleeved joiner section but this shouldn’t be an issue as long as I follow the golden rule of measure twice & cut once.

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
A bit more time spent on the Clio this afternoon, It was supposed to be a wheel clean after the cv boot repair and a quick rinse over. It in fact became a wheel clean, another cv boot repair, filing and sanding the wheels & spacers and nipping up the lower Evol mount leaving no time for washing.
5BD2EE1F-FFF7-4158-BF76-31616826AC42.jpeg
869989F1-A2E0-42CE-8A4D-ECA258F9606E.jpeg
DF66359D-94D4-49CE-B37D-719AEC63C283.jpeg

I ended up going with the classic jubilee clip to repair the cv boot as clearly the oem clips are crap.

The wheel sanding is a result of damage caused by them not being done up properly allowing the spacer to “slap” around on the bolts. I just wanted to smooth out the mounting face to see if it would clear a little wobble I have, This was infact the case and has sorted the issue. The company which did it was disappointed that their staff had done it and offered free service and check over of the car.

The gearbox bolt issue is a reoccurring fault I seem to be having and I think it is due to worn/damaged Evol mount. The bolt seems to work loose over time which shows through the shifter lurching about inside the car when coming off throttle.
To try rectify this I have purchased a new to me oem twisted mount form @plees .
25CB1332-D0AF-4F61-806C-25435259693A.jpeg

It just needs a wipe over and then I plan on putting purple Powerflex bushes in, I’m hoping this will take some of the harshness away allowing a bit more flex than the Evol.
Possibly put some loctite on the bolt too! 😂

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
Today was MOT day… It passed but with a couple of minor issues but clearly it was a day for orange cars at my local dealer.
999F2409-C878-4AF6-898F-226CDCA5EE18.jpeg

Firstly it appeared that I have some play in my N/S drive shaft,
Secondly I have very very slight play on the in O/S inner rack ball joint,
Thirdly my high level brake light appears to have stopped working and lastly both my washer pumps have given up.

As soon as I got home the car was up on a jack and the N/S wheel was off. I backed off the nut a touch and torqued it back up to 280nm and refitted the wheel. This instantly removed the play the tech had shown me in the garage.
There’s not much I can do about the inner rack ball joint myself so this will get booked in to be sorted soon.
The high level brake light is a known common issues so I’m on the hunt for a non sport light to strip down for the internals to replace mine with.
The washer pump again known issue, Reanult wanted £55 each for these but I have sourced 2x Febi Bilstein ones from AUTODOC for £22 so I’ll see how I get on with these when they arrive.
47417112-65D0-486B-B24D-54661542F22E.jpeg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Today was MOT day… It passed but with a couple of minor issues but clearly it was a day for orange cars at my local dealer.
View attachment 1610824
Firstly it appeared that I have some play in my N/S drive shaft,
Secondly I have very very slight play on the in O/S inner rack ball joint,
Thirdly my high level brake light appears to have stopped working and lastly both my washer pumps have given up.

As soon as I got home the car was up on a jack and the N/S wheel was off. I backed off the nut a touch and torqued it back up to 280nm and refitted the wheel. This instantly removed the play the tech had shown me in the garage.
There’s not much I can do about the inner rack ball joint myself so this will get booked in to be sorted soon.
The high level brake light is a known common issues so I’m on the hunt for a non sport light to strip down for the internals to replace mine with.
The washer pump again known issue, Reanult wanted £55 each for these but I have sourced 2x Febi Bilstein ones from AUTODOC for £22 so I’ll see how I get on with these when they arrive.
View attachment 1610825
Often it's just corrosion on the brake light resistors. Pop out the light (without breaking the lense) and use a fibreglass brush or similar on them. Contact cleaner will help but if in a push you can use deodorant spray.

Should save you some money

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
Often it's just corrosion on the brake light resistors. Pop out the light (without breaking the lense) and use a fibreglass brush or similar on them. Contact cleaner will help but if in a push you can use deodorant spray.

Should save you some money
Cheers @Louis i think I’ve got some electrical contact clearer spray tucked in the garage somewhere so I’ll give that a try 👍🏻

I’ve just been out to investigate my washer pumps and I have the motors running for windscreen and rear wiper but I’m getting no fluid through. I’ve used an airline and blown back tank and through the bonnet jets so I’m assuming the pump blades must be knackered.

So until the new pumps arrive I’m running a single wiper conversion 😂

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
So I’ve been out and stripped the spoiler brake down but with no joy unfortunately… But I did get it out without breaking in so 👍🏻
97999EB7-F31F-4F1D-B4B1-8AC58D001BC6.jpeg
6C816A52-73A9-4FC0-A374-878BFEC94A0A.jpeg
7634FE79-7A1F-4CAD-B16F-CFF92A419EA0.jpeg
74ED0742-0CD2-4879-AA66-A042AA45E2C9.jpeg
98508FAD-DD73-482B-A1F0-C7331D998E4F.jpeg

As you can see from the pictures it isn’t in the best condition on the backside of it. I de-pinned the connector and give them a clean up and a spray with electrical contact cleaner but when testing it continued to not work.
I think I’m going to have to go back to my original idea and strip a non sport spoiler and do an internal swap over.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
So I’ve been out and stripped the spoiler brake down but with no joy unfortunately… But I did get it out without breaking in so 👍🏻
View attachment 1610889View attachment 1610890View attachment 1610891View attachment 1610892View attachment 1610893
As you can see from the pictures it isn’t in the best condition on the backside of it. I de-pinned the connector and give them a clean up and a spray with electrical contact cleaner but when testing it continued to not work.
I think I’m going to have to go back to my original idea and strip a non sport spoiler and do an internal swap over.
I can still see green corrosion on all the board component solder joints?

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
So been out to the 3rd brake light again this morning and stripped it down fully, cleaned and sprayed everything in sight and still nothing. I suspect the corrosion has gotten inside one of the resistors and done some damage. Threw it back together and will be sourcing a non sport light to change internals over and hope that works.
2760A896-E3AC-4862-B4AE-4952A437F777.jpeg
36502683-B8A9-4815-9A34-F51B8FE9A801.jpeg

bowen86

ClioSport Club Member
When I had the rear spoiler light issue on my silver Clio, I whipped out the worst looking resistor and it worked again?! Honestly. No idea how or why.

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
Update…
So I’ve been doing some miles in the clio whilst I’ve been away shuttling out from a hotel an I have since discovered a couple of annoyances with the Inferno turbo which I didn’t have with the Monaco turbo.
Mainly it is the vibration in the cabin! It is unreal! Even at cruising speed or when I let off the throttle the whole car vibrates as the revs come down. Current setup is Evol lower and ktax/vibra upper engine and gearbox. Monaco was oem gearbox, Powerflex twisted and oem upper with yellow insert.
I have a standard twisted mount to go on but I plan to put inserts in this to hopefully reduce the vibration a bit and if that doesn’t work I’ll go oem upper also with an insert.
Secondly I’ve noticed the suspension feels floaty, disconnected from the steering at higher cruising speeds. I don’t know if this is due to the cheap coilovers previous owner put on or the cheap tires or even just the fact I was used to a 15” wheel.
Again the Monaco was brand new cup shock, cooksports, PMS mounts and strut, rear strut and whiteline arb and it felt planted.
The love is lost currently even though it puts a grin on my face driving at slow speed with the turbo noises, I want to push it on and see what it can do and currently it’s not possible.
Rant, moan… Update over 😂

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Right in the feels… 😞 and everyday… but if I hadn’t I would never have had my M140i and Meg 4 RS Trophy which were awesome cars.
True

I contemplated a Focus ST3 earlier just to try, I don't want to leave it too late and miss the boat. It's better to have tried whilst you can than miss the boat and regret it