ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Clio 172 PH1 Daily Progress Thread

Evo
Update,

Tomorrow im spending the weekend doing the clutch on this as my driveshaft failed this afternoon so thought its the perfect excuse to get that noisy release bearing out. Top marks to Renault southend who ordered up a driveshaft overnight for me and with a 15% discount! Still expensive though :(

Anyway parts to be fitted tomorrow that i've collected over past few weeks:

Valeo clutch kit
Both new OEM driveshafts with gearbox seals
OEM wheel bearings both front sides
OEM clutch cable
ARP con rod bolts ( whilst the subframes off )
OEM sump gasket
Oil change with filter
Vibra Technics engine and gearbox mount
Synthetic gearbox oil
OEM speedo drive
And of course some 20mm front H&R spacers ;)

So as you can see i got a busy day ahead of me. Really wanted to fit a lightweight flywheel and a 182 manifold but funds just weren't there :(

Still should feel refreshed afterwards :)

Evo
Okay its been ages since an update has happened so finally got round to taking some photos so you can all see whats been accomplished over christmas.

So first things first my clutch pedal was always stiff and a little juddery so i really wanted to get that box off and swap it over. Had a long weekend over christmas so decided to collect some parts and do a mini restoration under the bonnet to really freshen up the 13 year old gurl.

So i got myself a Valeo standard clutch to keep it easy on the commute an i dont ever intend to run anymore serious power here so the standard item was perfectly suited. I alo got myself a new genuine clutch cable with the updated weights to aid the pedal feel. Whilst the box was off i thought it'd be a good opportunity to drop the sump and fit a set of ARP rod bolts and a fresh sump seal.

Then the car was put back together with Fuchs fully synthetic box oil and a new speedo drive as my speedo did play up occassionally. Everything was running perfect and smooth with a nice light clutch, but not a week later my driveshaft started knocking on the n/s and during inspection i noticed the wheel bearing had a little play in it. So off to renault again for a pair of rebuilt driveshafts and two new wheel bearings ( £400 lighter mind ). Once the bearings were pressed into the hubs and rebuilt it was once again playing nicely. By now my Vibra Technics uprated engine mounts had arrived so i bolted them up and its really stiffened things up front.

Since then ( past month ) its been a smooth joy to drive and its being enjoyed. In the meantime i fitted a few other items so heres the pics, enjoy:

Stripped down for gearbox out:
untitled5_zpsbc4b9298.jpg

ARP con rod bolts fitted to bottom end:
pic1_zps3c16060d.jpg

New engine mounts, highly recommended for the clio thats getting saggy:
DSC_0522_zps4023236b.jpg

Got a new steering wheel to replace the knackered leather one:
DSC_0518_zps09523778.jpg

20mm H&R wheel spacers up front:
DSC_0517_zps50801b3c.jpg

And 5mm rear:
DSC_0531_zpsbc69cf6f.jpg

Sits much nicer in the arch now:
DSC_0532_zps17bc8d1c.jpg

Magnecor 8.5mm HT leads fitted, actually smoothed the drive out a little:
DSC_0526_zpse6cb21a7.jpg

Cup spoiler purchased off here in excellent condition and resprayed in Titanium professionally, really happy with finish and colour match:
DSC_0528_zpsf02a4c48.jpg

Ktec top mounts had started seizing again and being fed up with my monthly strip and grease procedure decided to bin them for Pure motorsports items:
untitled_zps201a40f2.jpg

Would have been rude not to get the strut brace package ;):
DSC_0525_zpsc6930b11.jpg

DSC_0527_zps7c110800.jpg

New battery cover to tidy up the bay:
DSC_0521_zps2695d852.jpg

Wind deflectors:
DSC_0519_zps218f0e89.jpg

Ignore how dirty it is lol, usually spotless. Thanks for reading and more updates soon when i do something about the wheels and that stupid yellow detailing.

Last edited by a moderator:

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Great mods, looks great. I'd get the wheels done silver. Good work though

Random bump, just to say how much I love this Ben. Sort of makes me regret not buying it now (although I would have at £1700 as it was nearly 500 more than that when I looked).

Dread to think how much you've spend on it now! But probably one of the most well looked after cars on the forum. You certainly don't do things in half measures. Reading through no surprise the drive shaft let go, when I viewed it the CV boot on one side was completely knackered.

Summary - I like this a lot!

Clio 172 ph1, others
Right first update. Collected a few parts for a good service and refresh, these include:

Motul 300V 5w-40 oil, this was in storage at mine for the 197s next oil change but im sure she wont mind :p

Brembo HC front discs, genuine renault rear discs and CL RC5+ pads all round. Reason for choosing this pad? Use them in the 197 and the cold bite, fadeless performance, pedal feel and overall stopping power are untouchable with any other pad i've tried.

Powerflex front lower arm and ARB poly bush kit, along with new lower balljoints for a suspension refresh.

Genuine RS 182 mats, very flash.

Demon Tweeks heatshield to replace crappy old bulkhead mat. IMO easiest way to tidy up the bay. Also picked up a mint engine cover from eBay.
182 silver metal interior door handles, originals had cracked.

Front wheel bearings.

Genuine spark plugs with fresh inlet manifold gaskets and lots of silver VHT paint for under the bonnet.

ITG panel filter and genuine pollen filter/fuel filter.

Prima racing uprated exhaust mount.

New Toyo T1R tyres fitted on all four corners.

Anyway down to work:

Unknown brand of oil removed:
DSC02692.jpg

In with some stuff i can trust, only the best for my ph1:
DSC02699.jpg

Quality filter, i hate using cheap filters:
DSC02693.jpg

Genuine discs and CL pads fitted all round:
DSC02696.jpg

VVT controller seal was also seeping, i hate a messy bay so had to be sorted:
DSC02695.jpg

The old exhaust mount had seen better days, nice effort from previous owner though! Replaced with Prima racing mount now:
DSC02697.jpg

Stealth exhaust twisted round and fiddled with to actually hide it, also doesnt knock on rear beam anymore, result!:
Before:
originalexhaust172.jpg

After:
DSC02701.jpg

Sticky throttle had become worse over the past month. I tried multiple 'cheap fixes' but they were all only temp bodges, so bit the bullet and bought a new TB, potentiometer and cable from renault at honour of £350 ouch:
DSC02717.jpg

Also managed to fit the new engine cover and heatshield on the bulkhead. Gave it a little scrub up under there too. The original airbox was missing 2 clips and i didnt like the 2 way riveted inlet, looked messy. Had an old JMS V6 airbox in the garage so whacked that on to tidy it up with the ITG panel filter inside.

Next plans are to sort the worn coilovers out, they make a very annoying noise on lock and over bumps. Also looking at taking it on a trackday next month so possible preps for that. :)

Thanks.

Mahle is not cheap crap.

For example: http://www.mahle.com/MAHLE/en/Products-&-Services/Motorsports-and-Special-Engines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAHLE_Powertrain

I think MAHLE and Mann filters can always be trusted.

gudger12345

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
I love this. I am going to be spending alot of money like you on pms parts.
Looks really good.

Evo
I haven't updated this in months I shall make the effort to when I have the time. Cars in a much better state now :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Looks great Ben, on the outside and in the engine bay. Remember being behind it at a Southend meet and admiring it :)

Looking forward to seeing the updates :)

Last edited:
  Evo
Wow thread revival much lol! Completely forget to post about this car cos I'm always so busy with the Megs these days. I will get a progress up at the weekend :)

Evo
Okay lads here we go with the update at last! Thanks to @Dr Jekyll for the reminder ;)

Been using this as a daily for the past two years, just ticked over 100k last month and never let me down. Love driving it every day and makes my commute enjoyable.

Mods since I neglected this project thread:

-Speedline 2118s with rainsport2 tyres
-Whiteline ARB
-DS2500 all round
-KTR induction kit, which I can't wait to get rid off :(

After a weekend at CSS seeing a couple of absolutely mint ph1s it's made me feel crap about mine as I have been neglecting it for work and it's kinda been in the shadow of my 265. So now I have a new found motivation for my beloved 172. If I have the funds over winter I hope to embark on a mini restoration, but just having my first born money is tight so it'll have to be a budget refresh. Plans are:

-Insure a cheap mk1 clio I've had at work in storage for a few years, used to be my old daily, this way I can take the 172 off the road for a few months and not being used a daily hopefully have more hope getting it upto my standard.
-Bin the KTR induction kit, it was bought on impulse for a ring trip last year and I instantly fell in love with the noise at full chat, but now I hate it and plan to replace it for a full OEM ph1 setup new from renault.
-Get the front end blown over as it's stone chip central.
-Remove the engine and clean up bay, fit new dephaser, water pump and belts whilst the engines on the bench.
-Give the interior some much needed attention as it's the area which needs most attention, plastic is faded and chipped, front seats are cracked and worn and the carpet is knackered requiring a new one completely!
-New headlights of course

And if I can find the money:

-More performance based coilovers as the V1s currently fitted are nice on road but on track it's like cornering a ferry. May settle for some cup dampers and Cooksport springs yet?
-Some 4 pot calipers to improve the brakes which next to the 265 and 225 feel a little weak.
-Ditch the Pure motorsport air con delete kit for a proper Cup setup as I keep having problems with whining and belt tension.

So there you have it, keep updated to this to see what I can manage. A few pics of how she stands at the moment, I'd like to get it up to a show worthy condition if at all possible. Thanks for reading and watch this space!

FAB27DB2-8D2F-4291-813D-17BBD25E86A5_zpsphgzcqfw.jpg

BC7407AB-3865-494C-82F9-8C1A4FED19D3_zpszmeoial8.jpg

00266108-2D4D-46EB-83D1-9694669E9DBB_zpsqrhnlhyl.jpg

DD972FCB-FA4D-41A8-B498-AEC80E2F6C8A_zpsc107t3as.jpg

DA547E84-F021-4CF0-A8BC-D8E6C734CB9E_zpslnjh3jhg.jpg

Last edited:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Plans sound great mate.

It was nice chatting to vikki and yourself, the Meg look awesome. :D

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Cheers fella if I can get mine within 1/10th of yours then I'll be over the moon, you kicked off the inspiration!

When Vicky leave's you and you end up having to sell one of your kidneys to fund the PH1 don't come crying to me. flol

Edit, Forgot she loves cars so you will be fine. :D

Evo
Okay got the car in the workshop this week to do a major engine refresh as the old girls ticked over past 100k. Plans include:

Cambelt, dephaser and water pump replacement.
Remove the exhaust manifold and heat wrap it.
Fit a set of silcone hoses I've had laying around.
Four new injectors and a new lambda sensor.
New power steering pump and aux belt.
Fresh oil/filter and coolant flush.

Plus a few other niggles I've been meaning to look at. Car was at Renault yesterday for a new key as the original no longer unlocked the car. Parts should start arriving tomorrow morning!

Evo
Old injectors out:
442C139F-A83D-457C-B4CC-30C2EDD119DE_zpsuftj9fcb.jpg

New ones in:
DB3A822D-1EF3-4EEE-9AAA-6B32E2E1134F_zpsxden2o7h.jpg

Also had a small oil weep from the breather plate so whilst the inlet was off managed to tackle that:
2769686F-F48B-48CD-836E-AA5380DFD1FB_zpst19xnd9o.jpg

Cleaned up and refitted with some silicone sealant:
DAC2E75F-D5A5-416E-AC09-FF464D56FC9B_zpspcdyuafg.jpg

Evo
Old hoses out, the heater hose clamps were an absolute pig!
9FE1E30A-F8DB-459A-9198-F5F5FAF7E468_zpsaprfyx11.jpg

New header tank as the old was looking a little old:
CBF041D5-D8A0-48A1-9211-D7ED63AA7617_zpspx4ffy30.jpg

830B05E7-5FDB-4AB1-9A88-35F78995C75C_zps4eq67giu.jpg

New hoses fitted:
327A016F-F61A-41BF-B216-E279F9C314B1_zpsvj2qzgwr.jpg

Evo
Today I'm getting down to the main job, cambelt!

4F1D2EBF-A60F-41EA-BDAD-0C5723DEED56_zpsrmqwhqck.jpg

Water pump came off a breeze however the gasket has been comfortable for 14 years and refused to even lift at the edges. Unfortunately it took me over an hour to hand sand the gasket away, proper PITA

46E3C5B8-E719-4265-B573-110C934CFB9B_zpsecfl6tf3.jpg

Would be cracking on now however Renault still haven't delivered ANY parts and they were all ordered on Monday :(

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Good progress mate. I have the cam locking tool's whenever you're ready. :)

Evo
Good progress mate. I have the cam locking tool's whenever you're ready. :)

Cheers fella it may be put to one side for a while as I have other priorities as of next week and Renault have lost my parts. May have to pick this back up in a fortnight!

Evo
Managed to finish this over the weekend between Goodwood on Sunday and a trackday on Monday!

In the end just bought a set of genuine renault tools as that way I can use them for the mrs 225 when that's due the belt.

Manifold wrapped:
B297EA45-3C26-4B03-BAAA-ED808E0C608A_zps2rlvrjxn.jpg

Cambelt, dephaser and water pump on. All engine parts sprayed up again , wanted to get them powder coated but funds didn't allow.

1CDD28EA-9AB9-4C99-90E1-4A3173A44C63_zpsackuzc26.jpg

FF3C9C8A-0E6E-446F-A482-614EE3C2FCD8_zpsbkvnk7lg.jpg

Started first time and after a quick rough idle which I assume is from the fuelling adjusting for the new injectors and lambda it runs absolutely smooth and drives perfectly. Feels just as quick as before but with a better idle and quieter running.

Evo
Wanted to get the power checked on a dyno as I wasn't 100% convinced the camshafts were timed to perfection. The horse shoe fitted fine but with a couple fingers force to slot into the inlet. It felt just as fast on the road but I like to be thorough and it also gave me an opportunity to get the AFR checked as it's running a remote Fastchip remap.

After some research on my local dynos I decided against AmD as they have a reputation for running high and after reading up on South Easts dyno day at AtSpeed it seemed all the clios posted honest figures. Popped down first thing this morning, had to drag the mrs and little girl with me to her first ever dyno session ;)

FA971180-F199-472D-9E78-9EFDFF925D09_zpsgp7ffoxl.jpg

61BA4D32-5CC0-4872-A79A-D0AE2930F7D2_zpsynd2c5ee.jpg

Well what can I say? I know this will be contended by most but the cars always been freakishly fast and I've driven many 1*2s of different spec over the years, I knew this one was a strong motor...

779C54BD-33CA-4601-9C55-4BD091BD55DA_zps0851pwrs.jpg

It recorded 182.3bhp and 160lb/ft or for those who don't like the predicted flywheel figure it was 160bhp at the wheels. Whether it's accurate I'm not really bothered just happy the timing was done correctly and it's pulling strong :)