ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 182 Packed Up Today :( Anyone Know Why?

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Hi folks, right where do i start.....

Driving my 182, went over a speed hump rather heavily ( don't think that's owt to do with the problem tho) then drove for another couple of miles home then it starting to go t!t$ up!!

Suddenly the car started to chug and splutter along rather violently as if it was in the wrong gear ie: 5th @ 20mph or so.

I had no control over this whatsoever but it seems to come from the accelerator
pedal. I pulled over eventually and then smelt a burning smell, switched the engine off had a look under the bonnet then tried to start the car and it would'nt start at all grrrrrrr

Pushed the car onto the drive and left it for an hour or so. I came out to it and tried to start it but it was just not having it then after trying for ages and ages it suddenly started up! no idea whats gone on, took it for a spin round the block and the chugging has gone.

It wasnt anything to do with petrol/water/oil etc

Anyone want to guess what the cause may have been i'm totally baffled

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Checked them, i even took a battery charger thingy to it, although it was impossible to get it right on the terminals - stupid place that they are in.

I must admit it eventually started after a long time turning it over, i really don't think it was that to start with, it wouldnt have caused the car to jump and stutter would it?

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Not a clue about the crushed petrol feed, how does that happen.

Spark plug lead, again don't know i was poking about and didnt notice anything which looked out of place.

How likely is this to happen again anyone want to take a guess, i'm reluctant to take it to Reno if i can help it!

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Lunner said:
right its a 182 so its under warentee, they give out those for a reason...take it back to reno

Yes mate i know it's under warranty but i thought i'd ask some helpful peeps on the forum to get a bit of advice.

Reno as you know tend to stuff something up on your car when you take it in that was'nt there before.

Thanks for the advice tho.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
damaged the lambda probe/wiring when jumping over the speed bump..... i had a problem with the plug on the first probe, and everytime i tried to press the loud pedal it spluttered/wouldn't rev etc

check both plugs/probes under the car

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
gt_gaz said:
damaged the lambda probe/wiring when jumping over the speed bump..... i had a problem with the plug on the first probe, and everytime i tried to press the loud pedal it spluttered/wouldn't rev etc

check both plugs/probes under the car

Hi gaz, sounds the exact same mate.

It happened again last night, going along fine then splutter/chug followed by me trying to accelerate but the car wouldnt budge at all, the revs were stuck @ 20rpm but the car was not moving. I tryed to put some power down but nothing happened, there was a smell of like bad eggs afterwards!

Turned the engine off then tryed to restart and it wouldnt, just kept turning over without kicking into action.

I've been onto Reno but it's that time of year so there shut till Tuesday grrrrrr.

gaz, can i fix this myself if thats whats up with it?

Cheers mate, not the best time of year for it to go t!t$ up.

Merry Christmas, finish this turkey off now lol!

Oyster Card
Remember that smell of eggs all too well, My problem was the HT cap losing it's seal so it basically just sat on the spark, and the other end of the HT leads, dunno the name guessing distributor? one of the few leads coming off it the main one in the middle had come loose over a bump.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
AcID ZeR0, did you fix it yourself or is it a garage job?

Cheers.

SEAT LEON
Hi Like The Lads Have Said With You Going Over A Speed Bump You Have Probably Damaged The Downstream Oxygen Sensor The Plug Conector Is Next To The Chassis. You Will Get All Them Faults If U Sensor Broken The Injection Computor Will Be Receivin All The Wrong Readings. When Its Gone Cold It Will Be Ok Cos The Injection Computor Will Be Reading Off The Up Stream Sensor. Un Till It Gets Warm Then You Will Get Faults Again.
Take It To U Renault Dealers And They Will Sort It Thats What They Are There For.

RenaultSport clio 182
Mine did the same when it was about 6 months old, took it back to renault and lost it for 2 weeks while they replaced the whole engine wiring loom!

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
daveyb393 jesus!! great news that!

I'm taking it into Reno tomorrow, although they can't look at it till Friday, hopefully it turns out to be a less serious problem, can't be doing without it for 2 weeks.

Do Reno give out courtesy cars easily? just wondering like as i'm using a mates 206 at the mo but he will need it back soon.

RenaultSport clio 182
They gave me a 1.2 corsa for the duration!! Wasn't happy with this so they gave me a nissan almera! Surely it should be an equivalent car. Tried for the V6 they had in the showroom but got a swift F*!k off!

If its a warently issue they have to supply you with a courtesy car (if you want one). If they don't have a car availiable they have to get one its not your problem its the dealers issue to find one. Its in your service manual or something stating just that.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Just a quick update.

Asked about a courtesy car but they said they didnt have one available till 9th Jan! anyway luckily they seem to have sorted it out today, fixed 3 faults and took it for an extended run or should i say thrash!! and they said all's well, problem didnt occur .

Touch wood that's that then.