ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 172 Cup project thread.....

Ocsltd

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup & 182 Trophy
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum so thought I'd introduce myself. I've just picked up a 2003 '03' Reg 172 Cup, 1 Owner with 82k miles. I've always been a fan of the 172, in particular had a soft spot for the Cup! I picked mine up through the trade, paid a smidge over £1k for it. It was advertised as having no service history so took a punt on it, hoping that as it had only had 1 owner from new, they would have looked after their car!
I asked for the V5 doc ref number so I could perform a Vosa mot history check, this revealed that the majority of mot's had been performed at the same Renault main dealer, Renault Watford.
Once I picked up the car, I rifled through the book pack hoping for a service book, but no such luck! There were however, all old mot certs and a few visual health check sheets and an invoice for the bonnet safety recall, so this gave me a bit of hope!
So like a dog with a bone, I contacted Renault Watford, who were pretty useless, claiming the vehicle had never been through their workshop!! I challenged this with the documented proof I had, but was getting nowhere, so I sent an enquiry / complaint form to Renault Uk who to be fair we really helpful!
They replied within 24 hours and understood my concerns / frustration. They did reveal that they relied on the individual dealer submitting the information, but could confirm that Renault Watford had carried out a service in 2010 and a major service in 2011 including the all important cambelt / aux belt! Result. So whilst no complete service history, I'm satisfied that it would have been serviced by Renault prior to then......
Anyway, enough babbling, haven't taken any pics yet, but will upload some soon. Plans are to keep it OEM +, tidy up a few bits and enjoy it! I'm pretty smitten already!

Clio Sport 172
Hi!
Welcome along to the forum :) I'm a newbie myself as only bought my 172 on Xmas Eve but the forum is proving to be a great source of info and great people!

Renault Watford sound like they were being v crap, but at least Renault themselves could help you out.

Hope to see some pictures soon!

Ocsltd

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup & 182 Trophy
Hi!
Welcome along to the forum :smile: I'm a newbie myself as only bought my 172 on Xmas Eve but the forum is proving to be a great source of info and great people!

Renault Watford sound like they were being v crap, but at least Renault themselves could help you out.

Hope to see some pictures soon!

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome! Will update with some pics ASAP. I did fit a new 3/4 front number plate today, along with an oil change, coolant flush / change and fitted some aero wiper blades. I've also got a newer style RenaultSport badge to go on the rear, subtle changes.

Ocsltd

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup & 182 Trophy
Welcome mate also have a 2003 reg clio cup have had it 4 weeks love it
Thanks mate, yeah I'm sure I've read your thread, I recognise the pic of it up on the kerb! Great little cars aren't they!! I've just fired a pm off to 'Snappy' to sort out my melted thumb grips, I may be at the back of a long queue though!

clio 172 cup
Thanks mate, yeah I'm sure I've read your thread, I recognise the pic of it up on the kerb! Great little cars aren't they!! I've just fired a pm off to 'Snappy' to sort out my melted thumb grips, I may be at the back of a long queue though!
That's me bud where you based

Ocsltd

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup & 182 Trophy
What's the fatty kit and where is it from? Does it give any performance gains, or is just added noise? Lol

Ocsltd

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup & 182 Trophy
image.jpg
Gave the old girl a quick bath today. Cleaned up the rear end with a new plate, removed the badges and replaced with a newer style Renault badge for a cleaner look.....

Ocsltd

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup & 182 Trophy
Haven't updated this for a while, no pics sadly, but I've been giving the old girl some love.....
Just had the turinis fully refurbished including the inners, and wrapped in new Continental premium contact 2 tyres, new Ktec stealth exhaust, new OE Renault cup shocks all round with new Eibach springs, new engine and dog bone mount, new radiator, expansion bottle and coolant flush, oil and filter. Replaced the missing alloy centre cap, new rear wiper trim, new rear no. Plate lamp.

It's getting there, just need to get the timing belt, aux belt, water pump and dephaser pulley done....

Love these cars!!