ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Simon’s Phase 1 172

starmagsi

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy 193
Picked up a new little project today…

IMG_0203.jpeg

It needs some work but has got potential to be good. 62k with a lot of service history (though not necessarily good service history) but really needs some TLC.

Back home now and tucked up with the Trophy, this evening will be the first of many spent ordering parts.

More pics and info to follow as soon as I get chance. 👍

starmagsi

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy 193
Started doing a few bits to the Ph1 on and off the last couple of days.

Rear ‘door cards’ out to check for rust. No surprise to see that there is some there, I’m 50/50 on whether it will be treatable or need repair. Sill covers coming off will be the decider - more to follow.

The cause of the quite terrifying drive from Manchester back home to Derbyshire is one completely knackered rear shock. Old shocks removed and new ones on order.

Poly dog mount fitted - because it was there.

Took the 5 spoke 17’s (yep…) off and fitted some F1’s I picked up locally. Not mint but will do until I can justify getting them refurbished.

Rear discs and pads, front pads, engine mounts and a few odds and sods on order so will hopefully turn up next week. Get that fitted, service and then it will be usable.

starmagsi

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy 193
I think I remember seeing this car for sale just from the description of the 5 spoke 17” wheels.

It had been for sale for many months, the owner is now in her 70s (it was actually her son selling it on her behalf) and it has been used very little in the last few years. It also has a very interesting Powerflow twin exhaust.

Apart from the inevitable steering wheel decay, discolouration to the silver plastics and darkening of the dash, the interior is absolutely immaculate and it does seem to run really well. The body work is a PDR man’s wet dream with car park dings everywhere.

I’ll get some more pics up as soon as I get chance - I’m terrible for spending a few hours doing things to it and then sitting down with a coffee and realising I took no photos at all…

gudger12345

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
looks a nice base.
This was for sale on Autotrader for quite a while, with the BMW 335 style rear exhaust system........

starmagsi

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy 193
Same one, yes.

The exhaust is still there but will be replaced in due course. It was fitted about 20 years ago to a fairly new car, there is a receipt in the pile and it wasn’t cheap - not for me though.

Expecting some parcels to arrive tomorrow. 🤞

starmagsi

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy 193
A few random pics from this evening…

IMG_0219.jpeg

IMG_0221.jpeg

IMG_0222.jpeg

IMG_0220.jpeg

Got the new rear shocks fitted after work and went out for a quick drive to see the effect - completely different car, feels like a Clio again.

More to do over the weekend.

My daily is in the body shop at the moment after a trip into a hedge on an icy road before Christmas so this will be called up for commute duties next week I think. 👍

gudger12345

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
A few random pics from this evening…

View attachment 1674827

View attachment 1674828

View attachment 1674829

View attachment 1674830

Got the new rear shocks fitted after work and went out for a quick drive to see the effect - completely different car, feels like a Clio again.

More to do over the weekend.

My daily is in the body shop at the moment after a trip into a hedge on an icy road before Christmas so this will be called up for commute duties next week I think. 👍
I have a great condition steering wheel if you are interested in purchase it??

starmagsi

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy 193
Done so far.

Rear Cup dampers
Rear Brembo discs
Rear Brembo pads
Poly dog bone mount
Renault gearbox mount (new insert to follow on the drivers side mount, but changing the gearbox mount has got rid of the ‘play’ that was there)
Renault air filter
Oil and filter (this will be changed again in a few hundred miles, just giving it a flush through)
Wiper blades (got a voucher for Christmas)

To follow.

Exhaust - the one on there is not to my taste aesthetically, it’s too loud, and it’s impossible to eliminate the rattles. This will require work to the rear bumper too.

Steering wheel retrim.

Steering rack bushes - there is a little play in the steering and they are advisories on last MOT.

Rear caliper rebuild - the ‘boots’ on the drivers side are a bit tired.

Fit front pads - they are on the shelf, still plenty on the discs.

Front dampers - just because

Belts etc.

Bodywork etc.

That should just about do it. 👍

starmagsi

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy 193
A weekend of little progress. As usual, no pics. 👍

Picked up a second hand K-tec stealth exhaust as well as a donor rear bumper so that I can ‘fill’ the cut outs for the twin exhaust. It will be good to get that done as the exhaust sits wonky and bangs on the bumper as it is.

Also fitted the Powerflex upper mount insert, that feels a bit better.

Spent the rest of the time messing about with the washer fluid reservoir. I’m not sure if there has been oil in there at some stage but it had so much black gunk in it that the nozzles keep blocking up. It’s a lot better now, not 100% though.

Oh, and swapped the wheels with the Trophy so the Ph1 is on Turin’s atm. The Trophy will go back in the garage shortly and the F1s can go for return and new tyres.

starmagsi

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy 193
So the Ph1 has some kind of fuel cut off switch under the bonnet… The last 24 hours could have been very different.

starmagsi

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy 193
1707735942935.png

Quick update...

The Ph1 spent a day at Diamond last week having Timing and Aux belts, dephaser etc. Was also treated to a new set of spark plugs to remedy slightly rough running. All good and running well now.

Next up will be fitting front discs and pads, and replacing the twin exit exhaust for the 'stealth' one (and sorting the apertures in the bumpers). Also have some Jon Foz seat rails to fit at some stage.

One small annoyance is the bolt that holds the rear seatbacks in place is proving a real pain to remove. The car has been smoked in in the past so I wanted to get them out and give them some attention - they are still in really good condition but could do with refreshing. I haven't got underneath the car to get at the other end of the bolt (I am having a week or two off the garage floor) - I am assuming it is open to the elements and has just corroded?

Also starting to make tentative plans to drive the Ph1 down to Provence when we go down there in September.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Cut the bolt off, easiest way. I had to do the same on mine when I removed the rear seats. The torq head is rubbish and can’t get any purchase on it to undo it as you say it’s open to the elements underneath. My plan was to then weld a big nut on to use a socket on it.

Cut the bolt off, easiest way. I had to do the same on mine when I removed the rear seats. The torq head is rubbish and can’t get any purchase on it to undo it as you say it’s open to the elements underneath. My plan was to then weld a big nut on to use a socket on it.
I drenched it in a load of plusgas over a couple of days and then used molegrips, was an ar*e to get out. Or you could cut the sides of the round bolt so it's square and use a socket. Such a terrible design by Renault to use a star nut on a bolt like that.

starmagsi

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy 193
Thanks for confirming my suspicions, I’ll get back to it at some point this week. What a ball-ache that is.