ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT Fail on suspension too firm!

Toyota Corolla
About a month ago I fitted the KTR Coilover suspension kit from k-tech. Adjusted it so there were 49 threads visible between the bottom locking ring and the start of the tread. Was running fine, not too low for speed bumps etc but today I gave it to merchanic to get it MOT'd and it failed!
It failed because the 'bounce' test i.e. push down the front of the car to test the shocks, was too firm! They said it needs to be raised.

Does this sound right? Anyone know the min height?
Car is a ph1 172, x reg.

Hope that makes sense!

Cheers,

James

Toyota Corolla
I think that it's because the MOT tester is an old chap stuck in the 1950s or something... I just want to check first make sure it's not me being dumb or something!

I just don't understand how it can be too low :dapprove: If they do change the height it's gonna cost me another £££ to get the alignment & camber fixed again.

S4 Avant
Take it to an MOT tester who will pass it, not one who's trying to get money out of you.

Edit: Ride height has very little to do with how firm the ride is.

Toyota Corolla
It's really annoying me that a merchanic and MOT testers don't know anything about this sort of thing and come up with it's too hard because it's low. Perhaps they think it's running on bumper stops or something... I'm gonna be unleashing the fury in the morning:mad:

what does it actually say on the failure sheet?

they can fail for things like fouling on lock due to lowered suspension, but not stiffness of the dampers/springs i didn't think :)S)

can either argue the toss with him or save yourself the hassle, but spend on another test elsewhere

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Thats bullshit we have had many car with Coilovers on and non have failed due to it being to firm...

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
pfft... you've been done over mate. take it back and complain if i was you. i watched my mot tester do my test - and there was no 'bounce' test. and he's legit too.

Toyota Corolla
Spoken to k-tech and they say that it may be a bit to low! I shouldn't really fail for that but the test centre might be a bit picky. Anywho, 120mm seems to be the recommended height for it (start of the thread to the bottom locking nut)
Might have been nice if this sort of information was in the box when I got the suspension!!
Dig, dig round two with the mechanic & the test centre :dapprove:

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
lol its not in the mot manual, suspension to hard, ring vosa get them to check and then they will pass it and the mot tester will get points on his licence

Golf GTD Mk7
call VOSA and report the garage. I'd definately complain. I'd understand if the supension was too bouncy, suggesting shock problem, but too stiff, the guys haveing a bubble bath. It's amazing how many random things people fail cars for.

Toyota Corolla
I think they were being a bit anal with it, saying that it was too low for the rebound to work. Trouble is that the car is with a mechanic who takes it to an MOT centre, so I couldn't do anything... hence why so annoying! He's now raised it up 20mm :( and has now passed the MOT.
This all means I'll have to get the alignment re-done camber etc. which will cost another £81... My car is a money pit!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
The "Bounce Test" is just a simple way of findoing out if a shock absorber is nakerd any more than 3 bounces and the shocker is fucked. not many test stations do it as you can usually tell if its fucked when driving or observing, as said mate call VOSA..

Megane RS 250
Here in italy they do that test, but if springs and dampers are matched the cars doesn't rebound so it passes.

172 cup
lmao that garage would love my suspension its rock hard lol the k tec dampers are tuv approved so they should be fine id defo ring vosa and say wtfffffffffffffff is cracking off here

Clio 182, CBR600RR
thats stupid m8 my polo was slammed 110mm, it was that low that it only just passed the brake test as the subframe was ground out on the floor when it dropped into the rollers! An the suspension might as well have been welded up it was that hard haha. Not 2 mention the inch of stretch on the rear tires as well!