ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New parts but slight clonk to front suspension

Clio
Hi,

My Clio 182 has had new top mounts, wishbones, ball joints, track rods and ends and ARB bushes. Not all took place in that order. The last item to be fitted were new top mounts (original type) and then a couple weeks later wishbones with ball joints.

After the first week with the new wishbones I started to get a quiet clonk from the front end when both wheels would bounce up and down together, like over sharp speed bumps in car parks or bumps across the road. It's taken around a thousand miles to develop a bit more than when it started and is now happening more often.

The suspension bolts are all tight when I have checked as are wheel nuts (just in case).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may have failed? Is it possible the new ball joints are the wrong type / size allowing additional play?

Thanks!

Have you checked that the top mounts haven't come loose, and are in fact fitted correctly? You say old type top mounts so you mean the type without the newer design spacer? I ask this as its quite common with the new design, see below as an example..

When I took the car for a test drive, there was a horrendous clunk from one side. A bit of investigation later and it seemed that the modified spacer wasn't tightening down on to the top mount bearing but was stopping short, bottoming out on the thread of the shock, leaving 3-4mm movement on one side and about 1mm on the other. Not ideal! I ended up having to use the old spacer and top cap to prevent the movement...

Clio
Thanks for quick replies guys!

The top mounts are installed securely and have not come loose (checked several times thinking the same thing!). Yes you are right in that I have installed the original design, as the "revised" kit I got was with the wrongly manufactured all in one nuts. I just used the new bearings and cones, but kept the same setup as from factory.

The clonk isn't like a loose top mount either, or at least it isn't compared to when I did have a loose one (because of the aforementioned "revised" nut).

As the wishbones were installed by a garage rather than myself, I can't vouch for exactly what was done. I can't imagine they would have removed the dampers and slackened off the spring cap retaining nut?

What's the symptoms of damper failure? Can they clonk but still damp fine? (they compressed and extended okay when I took them off for the top mount work)

Damper failure would normally include leaking, could be a snapped or unseated spring maybe. Just pull the wheels off and check everything.

PH2 172
As the wishbones were installed by a garage rather than myself, I can't vouch for exactly what was done. I can't imagine they would have removed the dampers and slackened off the spring cap retaining nut?

What's the symptoms of damper failure? Can they clonk but still damp fine? (they compressed and extended okay when I took them off for the top mount work)

As long as they are fully damped in both directions, with no undamped free play when reversing direction, the shocks will be OK.
The sport ball joints have 12mm bolts holding them to the wishbone, as opposed to the 10mm bolts on the non sports.
You could check they are 12mm, and that they and the bottom pinch bolt are tight.
Ditto the ARB bolts as you did not do the work yourself.

Clio
Good point about springs maybe not seating right. I guess as they're Eibach and depending how the wishbone were replaced could mean one isn't seated right. Will check

Thanks all for the replies. Will let you know what I find.

Clio
Good morning,

I've since had a check of the front suspension, and all fixings are tight and I can't find anything that moves or clunks. I have felt the suspension with someone going lock to lock and again cannot find anything untoward.

I have attached photographs of the top mounts and their position. I understand they are supposed to look slightly out of position, but as it's only on rapid rebound that it seems to happen I am wondering if it's a little bit of play between the top mount upper and the body?

(P.S. please excuse the dirty engine bay! The car is my daily driver and gets filthy very quickly)

Attachments

• 20180120_164139.jpg
    20180120_164139.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
  • 20180120_164151.jpg
    20180120_164151.jpg
    1,007.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 20180120_164202.jpg
    20180120_164202.jpg
    997.4 KB · Views: 78