ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk3 Clio - 1.2 - Brake Lights on Permanently

A slow one :-(
Hi folks,

I've not been on ClioSport in years - possibly 5 years now as that is when I sold my 172 Cup and got my 1.2 TCE Mk3. Twas much a sad day and I miss it every time I jump in the car.

The 1.2 has been a trusty steed and pretty reliable... it's coming up to 5 years old and so far it's all been good!

However today it decided to have it's first spat and I'm wondering if you guys could help?

Basically my brake lights are on all the time irrespective if the brake pedal is pressed down or not.

I've had a look under and found the switch... when I press it down manually myself the lights go off.

So it looks to me like that I might be missing a bit of plastic or a spring between the button and the pedal.

Pics below... first is the brake pedal in normal position i.e. no brakes applied

7747847786_2d079d90f5.png

IMG_0142 by Ed Bookless, on Flickr

2nd photo shows the button in the same position but bake pressed down. i.e. brakes being applied.

7747846024_c02abbfe97.png

IMG_0143 by Ed Bookless, on Flickr

It's almost as if the button should be depressed when the brake pedal is a non braking position??

Anyone help me before I take it to the garage? Thank you!!!

Cheers- i reckon it might screw out. Got a headache at the moment from trying to fix it so will have a no go once i've eaten. :)

Fixed it - the button just pulls out. I'd tried twisting it and all sorts but looks like you just click it out!

Result!

Clio 172 cup
You need to remove the switch and pull the button bit at the end all the way out. Then press the pedal down and refit the switch. Release the pedal slowly and you will hear it click a few times as it sets itself. If this doesn't work, you will probably need a new switch.