ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 F4R'd Track Car Project [2010 Winter Rebuild]

You mean the front one?

If so, no, just running it as an additional mount...

172 Chassis/Top Engine Mount
Mk1 Battery Tray/Gearbox Mount
Mk1 Rear Engine Dogbone Mount
172 '4th' Front Gearbox-to-Subframe Mount
Custom 'R5' Front Engine Mount

R5 GTT EFI Clio.

I would say thats the waterpump, Shame! - wonder how long mine will last, its brand new :)

Not much been going on. Some will be pleased to hear my exhaust tip was trimmed down by an inch and then tested at an Oulton Park trackday - Only 100db so its safe for another years worth of days how it is :)

Lots of bits hanging round waiting to be fitted, steering column mounted from the cage and a quite a number of other bits and bobs. Proper update soon................

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti

Whats the noise limit for track days then? not that i will ever do one.

Stage rallies is 100 and road rallies is 98, so i have to be below 98, but at the stage rally i did last year is measured 84, the scrutineer laughed at it as it was the quietest car all day, i think due to more coming out of the head gasket than the exhaust:dead:

172 Cup

Really loving the current work. The cage is a great bit of work.

ValverInBits
Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

Might try slowing the feed down then. When I was trying joining two pieces of scrap CDS on the lowest setting, with about 50% wire speed, it was kind of 'blowing' through the CDS (1.6mm wall), kind of as if there was too many amps...

I found getting a bit more gas on the weld helped just a touch to cool it and stop it blowing. You latest welding on the gussets looks nice. You got a reactive visor, or just a standard £10 one? I'm toying with the idea of a reactive visor.

BMW M5 & E36
Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

I found getting a bit more gas on the weld helped just a touch to cool it and stop it blowing. You latest welding on the gussets looks nice. You got a reactive visor, or just a standard £10 one? I'm toying with the idea of a reactive visor.

Do it, I love mine. Especially for fiddly little bits where I don't want to be pulling the shade down or nodding away, so much easier.

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti

reactive visor is one of the best things i have bought, got mine 5 years ago off snap on so was £300, but worth every penny ( i know they are alot cheaper now) altho dont ask my dad, he reakons it was rubbish.....,before i pointed out that he hadnt turned it on:rolleyes:

Been getting on with bits and bobs over the past week. Picked up a Mk1 Cup Car subframe from Evogone, as there were a few modifications I wanted to do from the one thats currently on the car. The subframe has sump guard mounts already welded on from when the Cup Car it came from had one fitted, I may or may not make one upto fit the holes, will have to see...

Started by cleaning it up as it was pretty filthy...

IMG_9185.jpg

IMG_9187.jpg

IMG_9190.jpg

IMG_9192.jpg

IMG_9200.jpg

I had decided that I wanted to seam weld all the main components of the subframe, mainly just to see what effect it had on the handling and rigidity, considering they are only spot welded as standard...

Before it could be done all the joints had to be attacked with the grinder to remove the paint...

IMG_9216.jpg

IMG_9209.jpg

IMG_9206.jpg

There were a few unwanted brackets on the subframe that were removed also.

Started on the welding which has taken quite a bit of time and still isnt fully finished...

IMG_9243.jpg

IMG_9252.jpg

No other pictures of that really. One of the main modifications I wanted to do was the radiator mounts. This has always p*ssed me off as the 172 radiator is too wide to sit in the subframe recess properly.

At present we have just sat it on a slight angle, with only the passenger side sat on the subframe - held in at the top with two cable ties. Its worked all year, but its just been one of them things I wanted to sort.

As you can see, the subframe recess is too small for the radiator...

IMG_9266_1.jpg

IMG_9267_1.jpg

IMG_9268.jpg

IMG_9269.jpg

I wanted to extend the recess, but had to take into consideration the engine mount hole that I use for my '5th mount', something I want to keep...

IMG_9265.jpg

IMG_9264.jpg

Started chopping metal away to make the radiator fit properly...

IMG_9271.jpg

IMG_9273.jpg

IMG_9277.jpg

A lot better fit...

IMG_9280.jpg

IMG_9281.jpg

IMG_9285.jpg

IMG_9283.jpg

Adjusted it a bit more to gain more room...

IMG_9294.jpg

IMG_9287.jpg

Next, I made up 3 plates that would make up the extra part of the recess...

IMG_9298.jpg

IMG_9299.jpg

Then welded it solid, as you can see the rubber for the 5th mount still fits nicely...

IMG_9303.jpg

IMG_9304.jpg

Drilled a hole for the radiator mount/rubber to sit in with a 25mm holesaw to give me a bit of leeway...

IMG_9318.jpg

Then dropped the radiator into position, which is just how I wanted :)

IMG_9307.jpg

IMG_9308.jpg

IMG_9311.jpg

IMG_9313.jpg

IMG_9314.jpg

IMG_9317.jpg

And the 5th mount rubber still fits with the radiator in place...

IMG_9321.jpg

IMG_9322.jpg

IMG_9323.jpg

Sorted :cool:

Just need to finish a few seams on the top side and underneath before taking it to the powdercoaters for blasting and coating. Taking the Superleggeras along too and having them powdercoated at the same time...

More Soon!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Good update!

172 Cup

Some good work. Will be following this closely mate

ITB Hybrid+Cup+Scenic II

Great updates - every time!
The work you do is really inspiring!

Michael

Cheers for the comments everyone.

Savi, these are the easy jobs that I keep cracking on with ;) The big jobs keep getting put off - like taking a holesaw to the bulkhead of the car for the cage/strut bars, as I dont want to get it wrong lol.

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti

nice work mate, bits of fabrication like that are always really satisfying, only thing id say is id have seam welded it an inch on inch off rather than the whole length of the seams, but def gona be more rigid than as standard.

apart from the sump guard mounts, what is different on the cup subframe?

Yeah I was going to do it an inch spaced at first, but from other pics I had seen of them done on another forum they had done it all the way along so I just went with it..

Unsure what else is different, I think it may be the 'williams' spec type with the extra skin in places, but I don't really know...

The reason for this subframe really was the radiator mount and to replace the drivers side rear mounting that is usually a daft rubber bush with a metal spacer. Obviously it will give more vibration but I can live with that!

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti

Makes sence...,and i wasnt critisizing the welding;)

id like to get hold of another one to seam weld then just swap over at some point on mine (which i really need to do an update on:eek:)

yeah, they can be picked up really cheap anyway, and if you're painting/powdercoating the condition does not really matter I guess...

Once this is powdercoated Il just remove the other one and put this in its place straight away, only an afternoons job :)

Clio Dynamique

I know you seem to have done a fair bit of welding now but remember with your MIG welding you push the weld, do little circles or arches from side to side moving upwards if that makes sense, the circles build up the weld, also the faster you go the higher the wire speed and power you can have without blowing through but still getting good penetration to both bits of metal being welded. The best thing you can get is a reaction mask, you can get cheap ones off ebay which do the job for small amounts of welding or if you got plenty of money a speedglass one.

I know you seem to have done a fair bit of welding now but remember with your MIG welding you push the weld, do little circles or arches from side to side moving upwards if that makes sense, the circles build up the weld, also the faster you go the higher the wire speed and power you can have without blowing through but still getting good penetration to both bits of metal being welded. The best thing you can get is a reaction mask, you can get cheap ones off ebay which do the job for small amounts of welding or if you got plenty of money a speedglass one.

Yeah, I really need to invest in one would make it far far easier!

Yummy.

IMG_9348.jpg

IMG_9345.jpg

Subframe done too, its come out well with all the seam welding. I did a bit more welding on it before taking it to the powdercoaters from the last pics.

IMG_9350.jpg

IMG_9352.jpg

IMG_9362.jpg

IMG_9365.jpg

Radiator Mount..

IMG_9351.jpg

IMG_9366.jpg

In the middle of sorting a solid steel bush to replace the normal standard one (big hole on one of the corners) at the moment. More updates later!

172 Cup

The work on both the wheels and subframe look brilliant mate

Just finished the solid subframe-to-chassis mount. Started out as a piece of solid piece 42mm bar...

IMG_9359.jpg

IMG_9361.jpg

Drilled an M12 hole through, then chopped into two. The height on top has to be 10mm, so it was machined down to slot into the hole on the subframe. The cup then goes underneath and ties it together. The original bolt then goes straight through the middle...

IMG_9382.jpg

IMG_9383.jpg

IMG_9387.jpg

IMG_9388.jpg

Shall be fitting it on Sunday and see if the car shakes to pieces :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

JORD!!

(Sorry to spoil your epic thread!! powder coating is awesome)

do you happen to have an old fuel pump lying around?? I need to find out the part number for a valver fuel pump.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep

I so want those wheels they look fantastic. Impressed with the solid chasis mount I wouldn't even know where to start with that sort of work.

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti

Is the subframe mounted on rubber at all 4 corners then? i just assumed it was solid mounted:eek:

Il find the part number shortly Daniel..

Wookie - Nope, both front bolts and the N/S rear bolt are solid...the O/S rear has a random rubber bush and is 10mm lower than the N/S

Trophy #473

Well impressed with all the little details you've gone to town on, 5th mount, using a 1.2 dash top with 172 dials, the gussets on the cage, just makes the car bit more special!

Decided to swap the subframes over today. Got the old one off the car in just under an hour, just left the hubs/driveshafts/shocks hanging. Was not in bad condition considering the amount its been driven...

1_IMG_9396.jpg

1_IMG_9398.jpg

1_IMG_9394.jpg

The rubber bush (which my solid one replaces) had seen better days, it fell apart as the bolt was removed...

1_IMG_9400.jpg

1_IMG_9401.jpg

Checked my solid bush was a good fit on the new subframe...

1_IMG_9404.jpg

Then swapped everything over...

1_IMG_9407.jpg

1_IMG_9409.jpg

Then took the subframe back to the car and set about re-fitting it. Bolted the back up into place first which was fine, the solid bush fitted perfectly...

1_IMG_9411.jpg

But then hit a snag...the subframe arms/supports near the wishbones did not seem to fit/line up right, even with the front jacked up to the correct height...

1_IMG_9412.jpg

Then the main problem was apparent, the front mounting holes were a mile out - like they were not long enough to reach the front of the car. They fell about 15mm short...

1_IMG_9413.jpg

1_IMG_9415.jpg

1_IMG_9417.jpg

1_IMG_9418.jpg

After a lot of moving it around and messing, there was no difference. I was stuck with what to do so ended up leaving it bolted up at the back and supported with the jack at the front...

I got on with removing the engine loom and other bits from the engine bay ready for the engine to come out at some point this week...

1_IMG_9422.jpg

1_IMG_9424.jpg

1_IMG_9428.jpg

1_IMG_9429.jpg

And thats about as far as I got.

After taking a second look at the most recent pictures of the subframe, it looks like its quite bent :( Ive circled where it looks odd compared to pictures of my other (old) subframe...

2_IMG_9399.jpg

2_IMG_9394.jpg

I didnt notice this before to be honest, as I was told the subframe was in good condition and all fine when I bought it, hence the amount of work gone into it. But to be honest I now think it is about as good as f*cking scrap :dapprove: