ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

PH1 iceburg
Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

Saw your car in performance french car this month too. Feature coming soon eh????

Winston told me about it being in there, which issue is it, september?

I nipped to tesco yesterday and they only had the august one in, will check in the next few days...

Sarah @ PFC asked me to do a feature ages ago, but I said the car wasnt ready...Ive had one of their photographers keep contacting me about it, but we shall see!

Mk1 F4R

AA = adamanderton, lol...

Put it on when he was driving as he was doing about 20mph iirc!

Come on it was'nt 20mph iirc it was more like 120mph
Got to give credit to the car though was mint mate
When i buy one will you build me one as good as yours plz ;)

Saw your car in performance french car this month too. Feature coming soon eh????

SCAN0017.jpg

SCAN0018.jpg

Mk1 F4R

omg you let downs lol were was the help with the mexican wave ha ha how much of an idiot do i feel

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

have u managed to upload the video mate - was your camera front or rear facing ???? See the only bit of me on you tube when i come pass just before he pits....shame haha

yeah unfortunately it was forward facing and my mate chickened out :( I thought that was the clip you meant too :(

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

gutted - i wasnt allowed to record as i only had suction mounts. Going to get a roll cage mount next

Did 2 laps behind your co driver and once passed came in like i said - you defo need semi slicks though, nearly went into the back of him on the corners haha

172 sport

Ive got loads of video of the day from my car,I am sure there's bit of your car Northy,I will post it up when I manage to get it down loaded.

JDM Dc2

diff has gone/seized (im not very technical lol), jord did well/was lucky to save it crashing into the tyre wall as when it went he was doing 100+ out of the first corner, sure he'll post the vids up later...

well I dont know if its the diff, box internals, clutch or driveshaft failure yet...

DSC00485.jpg

DSC00486.jpg

Coming round the first corner at mallory after about 7/8 laps, hitting around 100 on the exit in 4th and the box made one hell of a noise, back end came round and had a mega slide right down the grass finishing around a foot away from the tyrewall....

If you try and get it in gear with the engine one, clutch fully depressed, you just get alot of grinding....after it was left overnight I can no longer get it into any gear when stationary with or without using the clutch.

Got it all on video though :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

when we all thought it was running sweet....this happens!

are you trying to find fault yourself or is it in a garage somewhere?

engine will be out later most likely :) so il be able to tell what it is, spare box back in tommorow and off I go ;)

Got flat bedded back home and its on the driveway atm! Just sorting the vids of when it went :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

nice one! hopefully its nout too bad that can't be fixed.

1.2 clio & V12 t/turb CR2

diff has gone/seized (im not very technical lol), jord did well/was lucky to save it crashing into the tyre wall as when it went he was doing 100+ out of the first corner, sure he'll post the vids up later...

kin hell jamie,#

waste no time lol, bet youve only been home 30 seconds b4 you put that?!

How was pikeypickup.com ;)

btw seen the stewards clearin your bottom end off track ;)

flol.

Ive just edited the video of the gearbox incident, uploading at the moment... Going to get the engine out while it does that, check back later :approve:

Will do a proper writeup later, re-bled the brakes before we left to go to Mallory and they were epic compared to previous days, really pleased with them. Ran some cut slicks on the front too after a while as the wheels were locking up under braking with the Toyos :evil: that and cornering speeds were a world apart from the normal tyres, although still undecided @ 70 a corner.

Full writeup later :)

ITB'd 182...

FFS!

No luck with this Jord...

Didnt you have another box to go in?

Yeah...got the JB3 with the bolt in diff which needed to go in anyway, its just this one died halfway through the day so didnt really get much time on track!

172 cup

was nice to meet you, love your car.

was in the paddock area, heard a masive screach couldn't believe it when i saw your car heading for the tyre wall, backwards, lost sight behind a tree, see you pop out the other side facing the right way and feared the worst. was a shame as you were flyin round

nick

Was good to meet you too...yeah was a bit hairy, thankfully stopped before the wall, very very very close to it once stopped!

DSC00484.jpg

And the video as said above...

YouTube Description said:
Had around 6-7 laps prior to these, was running a set of Kumho cut slicks on the front and had quite a bit of heat in them. Brakes were performing very well, felt like it was getting quicker and quicker every lap. Coming out of Gerrards at 100mph in 4th, the gearbox gave up and I lost the back end, missing the wall by a few feet.

The clip at the end is with the car jacked up, 3rd gear selected and spinning the wheel, sounds nice!

[youtube]OSh_DhRemYk[/youtube]

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep

Thats a shame mate you where running so well at Cadwell. Hope you get her back on the road quickly.

Soooo lucky!! could of been a big smash

yep, thank god!

+1. at least you didn't go into that wall!

how long does it take you to take out an engine lol??

Its ready to lift out now, just removed all the junk/exhaust manifold/plumbing etc :)

immediately "box is funked"

sounds diff/inner shaft trouble to me :(

Yeah....although when diff's have gone in the JB3's before people can select gears and just get no drive....il know more when its out tommorow :)

alien green rs133

its normally hard to diognose when its in

but then obvious when its out in front of you :D

good look anyway

hutchie

Audi TT 225 Quattro

you did well to stop it hitting the wall mate:eek: looks like you were going very quick before hand:evil: alot more grip with the cut slicks?? ( probably the reason the box gave up )

Yeah, got some good videos of when I had no incidents running the cut slicks....alot more fun, can brake as hard as I like and not have to worry about locking up...they will be up later :)

172//Crap Micra//Bus

If ya gonna do it, do it in style eh. Lucky that, except for the box that is.

Bit of a writeup about Mallory...

Decided to take a pair of Kumho cut slicks (205/50/15) to try if I got the chance, ended up putting them on after two outings just because I wanted to try them... the 'Session 3' video below was just after fitting them...

Before I left for mallory I replaced a bottom ball joint and had the tracking re-done, the feel through the wheel went alot better and there was less 'clunking' from the rack than before, but I think its still there...time will tell. I also bled the brakes through with fresh fluid, made a lot of difference, pedal was back nice and firm again with limited travel...think the past few trackdays have took their toll.

After a couple of laps and some heat in the Kumhos, they are obviously miles better than the T1-Rs on the bends and under braking. Every lap felt like it was getting faster and braking a lot later coming upto the hairpin. In 'Session 5' I really had a good run going until the box went, carrying a lot more speed through the corners than earlier in the day.

I cant use the Kumhos again now as there is a huge chunk missing from one of them (I guess when I came off and hit the kerb), but Il keep on the lookout and see if any cut slicks come up, because I still dont think they are worth the extra £40/corner - £160/set over the T1-Rs or equivelant...even though they are alot better to drive...

Anyway, here's the videos. First two on T1-Rs all round, last 3 on the cut slicks...last one of the 5 is where the box went and probably the best video... :)

[youtube]EJRZtIPB9vY[/youtube]

[youtube]P4DRSkplZBg[/youtube]

[youtube]KNx5uCDwZ2k[/youtube]

[youtube]fCLKWTXId8M[/youtube]

[youtube]g4dlX9n4e5Q[/youtube]

Shame about the box, was doing well on the day. Did the bullet cam work?