ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

You need to remove more from the bottom to match mine ;) I took a chunk out and had to do it deeper than i wanted on the bottom lol

Well....... 827kg, good enough for me :)

Needless to say sub 800kg's is easily possible if there was no cage, that weighed 35-40kg alone. Sub 800kg without a cage would be pretty sketchy though ha!

For calculation purposes, im on a standard 172 engine now @ approx 170bhp (we all know ph-quicks are the fastest ;)), which brings it to nearly 210bhp/tonne.

If the car makes 190bhp+ with the cams + ECU, which it should going off freds recent build on that 172, I will have easily passed 230bhp/tonne. Easily enough fun! :)

Audi TT 225 Quattro

well done getting it that light mate, good 70kg less than mine but then i like my creature comforts as its my daily;)

seriously tho mate im very shocked you think light weight wheels are a waste, made a HUGE difference to the way mine drove when i fitted the superleggeras, a 15 weighs just 4.7kg compared to a speedline willy wheel which weighs 7.2kg ( probably the lightest set you have at the sec as turdbines are even heavier lol ) a saving of around 10kg rolling weight you WILL notice, try and lend a set you might just like it;)

Yeah...I should have really explained it a bit better, as the only wheels I would probably get are Superleggeras LOL. But you probably know yourself how rare they are in clio fitment these days, especially in 15"! ive not seen another set in 16", never mind 15" since I sold mine from the Mk2.

Had them on my Mk2 and they were VERY light indeed. Problem is the other 'lighter' wheels seem to be everywhere, everyone has them, team dynamics, oz ultraleggeras etc, plus I dont really like any of them.

When looking at lightweight wheels that I like, or that suit the clio, you will probably never ever see them come up second hand....and I think it is a waste spending £500 on a set of new wheels, when £500 into the engine could get more performance...

Although, if a cheap set of Mag OZ F1s came up I may be tempted, but still they would probably be bent and or too expensive to make it worthwhile!

The only other weight saving options would be lighter flywheel, save around 2-3kg, but is it really worth it for the money? Hmmmm, not for the price they are new

Also fiberglass panels, ie. doors/boot etc, I dont think too much would be saved, definitely not worth it for the costs involved imo! My boot weighs next to nothing now, same with the bonnet, flaps in the wind as you may have seen at brands ;)

Not sure what else, fuel cell once again not much saved, clio tanks are plastic? Not much else left lol!

Audi TT 225 Quattro

the wheels: totaly agree that superleggeras are THE best wheel for a mk1 ( probably why i own 2sets/sizes and spares lol );) i was in the same position when looking for them as you could'nt get them new anymore and everyone else had pro race etc and they were'nt my cup of tea. ultraleggras dont really suit the mk1 i think so was'nt an option, i got my 15's of rob barrington ( kingstromba ) for 300quid with toyo tyres fitted which i was happy to pay as the wheels were totaly mint and bloody rare... fitted them and loved how it drove on them etc but they just looked abit small with my suspension height so got on the look for 16's . put a post on the wanted section on here thinking i would never hear anything but was surprised to get a reply saying someone had a set for sale for good money and condition so they were got and fitted and ive been happy ever since lol. i'll keep an eye out for a set for you as im always looking for spares myself.:D

weight: how much does the bonnet weigh with a single skin? i had a fiberglass bonnet from ktec which was 4kg or something stupid and i know the standard bonnet weighs about 18kg so saved a nice amount when i changed that, not sure if it will be worth it against a single skin bonnet tho. i surpose every little counts when you go as far as you have;)

Il weigh the bonnet later, im guessing its weight is around a 1/3 of what they are standard....triple skinned in most places!

If a second hand of them was around then yes its worth it for the cost (300 is a bargin for them) but still, just going to stick with what ive got for now, as I said I hate all the other 'common' sets of wheels. considering the superleggera stopped production quite some time ago now there cant be many sets left around in 4x100xet36 fitment.

I would never go back to 16's again, 15's all the way for the prices I pay for tyres ;)

Audi TT 225 Quattro

meh , its not to bad around 15quid extra per tyre, stiffer sidewalls better handling;)

I beg to differ :rasp:

£30 a corner in 195/50/15 compared to £50+ for a decent tyre in 16" wins me over for now :approve:

Trax maybe?

Il make an appearance if I can get hold of a stand pass!

If I can get one im going to hang around for the sunday near silverstone as im at Santa Pod on the saturday....you still going?

ITB'd 182...

Il make an appearance if I can get hold of a stand pass!

If I can get one im going to hang around for the sunday near silverstone as im at Santa Pod on the saturday....you still going?

Yeah, Jord.

Will be at Combe on the Saturday then staying in the same hotel as Norm/Schwep etc....Then Trax on the Sunday :)

ValverInBits

Light as fook mate.

Consider Compomotive MO. I don't like the look of the superleggs

Cool. Will do!

You staying in the same hotle as us lot then?

What hotel is that? Replied in the other thread in Trax forum

Light as fook mate.

Consider Compomotive MO. I don't like the look of the superleggs

Hmmmm, might be something to look at over winter. Will have see what else happens first and see if the cost is worth it lol

Stand Pass etc sorted, see whoever is going on the day! :)

Will see what happens about the hotel guppy.

you could get past 800kgs, without the cage I would probably be around 785-790! Its got...

• Lighter Engine (F4R)
  • Removed Bonnet Skins
  • Removed Boot Skin
  • Removed Door Skins + Bars
  • All Windows Polycarbonate
  • Sunroof Frame Cut Down + 3mm Polycarb rather than glass
  • Auxiliary Fuel Tank Removed
  • No Heater Matrix or Blower Unit
  • Lightweight Battery (5kg)
  • No Dash (Apart from the Top)
  • All Trim Removed
  • All Sound Deadening + Carpets Removed
  • Lightweight/Bucket Seats
  • Cut Down 'Bare Minimum' Looms
Cant think of much else regarding weight saving, lol.

SG 200 Cup+F4R'd MK1

Ah cool.

Well I have removed all interior and sound deadening. I just need to scrape the tar off before the inside is sprayed.
I plan on replacing the windows with polycarb and the sunroof might be a carbon sheet? Not sure.

I plan on getting rid of all the electric goodies like windows, sunroof etc.

And I plan on getting buckets.

I will probably end up chopping the skin off the doors, but thats about it I think.

How much lighter is the F4R?

Not sure, but Matteh will be able to confirm I guess...

I just basically copied what whiteley had done by chopping the sunroof frame down the bare minimum, bolting it back onto the car, then sealing a piece of polycarbonate in cut to the shape of the glass (used Tigerseal). Its been fine and never leaked etc.

You should be pretty lightweight without all the electrics, dont bother swapping to manual windows instead of electric though, hardly anything saved at all, leave them in or cut the doors out completely. Id leave the door bars in though if you havent got a cage, as an accident could be nasty!

Cant remember how much the heater matrix and blower unit weighed, all the holes are welded up on mine now anyway, every bit counts I guess!

SG 200 Cup+F4R'd MK1

I have took the blower unit and matrix out. I was going to fit the blower back in and channel it to the windscreen for when it steams up. They don't weigh much anyway. Blower unit cant weigh more than 2-4kgs.

Have you done anything like this on yours?

Not done anything since I removed them no, but I am going to be putting one/two 12v heater/blowers at the front of the dash top underneath so it comes out of the rear vents onto the windscreen, Just not got round to it yet!

Mustang, S13, AX GT

Yeah...I should have really explained it a bit better, as the only wheels I would probably get are Superleggeras LOL. But you probably know yourself how rare they are in clio fitment these days, especially in 15"! ive not seen another set in 16", never mind 15" since I sold mine from the Mk2.

Had them on my Mk2 and they were VERY light indeed. Problem is the other 'lighter' wheels seem to be everywhere, everyone has them, team dynamics, oz ultraleggeras etc, plus I dont really like any of them.

When looking at lightweight wheels that I like, or that suit the clio, you will probably never ever see them come up second hand....and I think it is a waste spending £500 on a set of new wheels, when £500 into the engine could get more performance...

Although, if a cheap set of Mag OZ F1s came up I may be tempted, but still they would probably be bent and or too expensive to make it worthwhile!

The only other weight saving options would be lighter flywheel, save around 2-3kg, but is it really worth it for the money? Hmmmm, not for the price they are new

Also fiberglass panels, ie. doors/boot etc, I dont think too much would be saved, definitely not worth it for the costs involved imo! My boot weighs next to nothing now, same with the bonnet, flaps in the wind as you may have seen at brands ;)

Not sure what else, fuel cell once again not much saved, clio tanks are plastic? Not much else left lol!
http://www.ultralitewheels.com/g-spec.htm
5.6kgs, not seen them on another clio yet and £320 for a set. Thats not to say it'll fit the look of a mk1 but could be worth a try?

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti

i cant remove any of my interior trim,carpet,replace the glass windows or use fibreglass panels as road rally rules dont allow it, my car is really heavy:( if i were to ever take the heater and blower out, id replace the screen with a heated one, nothing worse than a misted windscreen.

yeah, heated screens are available for the mk1 clio for around £200ish apparently, but I chose not to get one incase of chips etc on trackdays, wouldnt want to be replacing them :( Im on my 2nd screen at the moment!

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti

what i use the car for stone chips in the screen are more of a 'when' than 'if', our red 205 is on its 3rd heated screen and god knows how many headlamps all caused from catching/overtaking cars on a stage and having crap hit it.

Skoda Fabia vRS

chased up your tools mate and France have been off for a few weeks it seems, earliest ill know anything im told is next week now

Had a drive down to NW Performance ;) and spent a day there today, got the car up on the ramps to check it over, found out what my knocking on the steering was (balljoint-to-hub bolt was loose), and tightened up a few other bolts that had somehow worked loose (subframe worryingly)....

IMG_6689.jpg

IMG_6691.jpg

IMG_6698.jpg

IMG_6702.jpg

Wideeeeeeeetrack :)

IMG_6700.jpg

IMG_6703.jpg

IMG_6706.jpg

Someone asked for a pic of the 172 brakes behind a Williams wheel...

IMG_6709.jpg

And one from underneath...

IMG_6715.jpg

Done a few bits and bobs over the past few days, will post an update later this week!

Nah, not bothered.

Im pretty much sure something on the 172 widetrack dosent fit correctly (few mm's out maybe), and putting forces on bolts that they shouldnt be getting.

Going to replace all the subframe bolts with locktite in the next week or two, along with a few others, then spanner check the whole lot.

BG 182 FF

glad you found out what the knocking was :),
Off subject a bit but the colour and finish of your inlets look awesome in them pics :)