ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

Valver is shorter ratios... Using Matths clever tool you can see the difference :)

GearRatioValver.gif

GearRatio172Ph1.gif

A williams JC5 would be a bit better, similar to a 172 Ph1, but Its finding one....the valver one is ok for now :)

As far as I can work it out (not sure how it works out), but a valver box should give quicker accelleration?

Does anyone know how the ratios effect it?

106 GTI

As far as I can work it out (not sure how it works out), but a valver box should give quicker accelleration?

Yep works the same as a geared mountain bike, the easier the gear the less force it requires to accelerate

TVR Cerbera

Personally, i'd say there wouldn't be a damn site of difference between the g/boxes. Yes i agree the valver box will allow the engine to rev up quicker and hence accellerate quicker, however the g/box is shorter so you'd have to change gear more often which wastes time too. IIRC the pug 306 GTI-6 was slower than the 5 speed GTI purely because you have to change gears more often, however if you stayed in one gear, it would accelerate faster. horses for courses imo

'92 172, Lotus Elise

there's a nice handy guide over on clio16valver ;)

ratios were found from Renault

cage is now fully in (well apart from bulkhead bar, coming soon, just needs changing slightly).....found someone literally 1/4 mile away from me who is a friend of a friend, certainly knows how to weld :)

IMG_3957.jpg

IMG_3951.jpg

IMG_3949.jpg

My own version of the doorbar, slightly lower at the back and slightly higher at the front...

IMG_3955.jpg

Rear lower stays in too...

IMG_3956.jpg

Will sort some proper pics next few days when ive sorted the other bar on the bulkhead and given it some paint :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

cage looks sound! is it a pain in the arse climing over that bar to sit in the seat?

lol.

cage is partially painted satin black in areas where you cant reach, rest of it will be going the same over the next few days :)

Clio 172

them welds look seriously neat! looks like a great cage too, say you're well happy with it.

Woznaldo

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault 5 GT Turbo

Personally, i'd say there wouldn't be a damn site of difference between the g/boxes. Yes i agree the valver box will allow the engine to rev up quicker and hence accellerate quicker, however the g/box is shorter so you'd have to change gear more often which wastes time too. IIRC the pug 306 GTI-6 was slower than the 5 speed GTI purely because you have to change gears more often, however if you stayed in one gear, it would accelerate faster. horses for courses imo

For a straight line drag, maybe your right but, on a twisting country road, the extra punch out of the corners will make a difference with the Valver Box.

Same as fitting the Pug 205 gti 1.6 box to a 205 1.9 gti better for the twisties/track work.

106 GTI

For a straight line drag, maybe your right but, on a twisting country road, the extra punch out of the corners will make a difference with the Valver Box.

Same as fitting the Pug 205 gti 1.6 box to a 205 1.9 gti better for the twisties/track work.

But the money used buying the box and the hassle etc it could be money spent somewhere else, tyres , towards a diff etc

Few more pics of the cage, painted satin black today. Dosent look bad, it will do until the whole interior is resprayed over winter :)

DSC00455.jpg

DSC00456.jpg

DSC00457.jpg

DSC00458.jpg

DSC00460.jpg

DSC00461.jpg

DSC00462.jpg

One more bar to go in across the bulkhead/behind the clocks too. Door bars were not painted as they have black pipe lagging round them now too :)

Nah not yet, pointless for the gains though really, its wafer thin as it is...

Doors will be cut out shortly, save some weight with the inner door bars etc...

Mine is the Xeros, snick01 is the Tungy....got these few pics yesterday. Difference in front track width is noticable even more so with them side-by-side!

IMG_3999.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

IMG_4061.jpg

IMG_4063.jpg

IMG_4074.jpg

From the other day, need to fix my bumper now :rolleyes:

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

them polycarb windows look smart! what happened to the bumper?

was driving down a country road, round a bend to be faced by a wall/gate/dead end...slammed on and locked up, slid 60-70ft on this crappy tarmac and just stopped on a bit of grass, snapped the bolt off holding the bumper on....lol

320d

It's coming on well Jord looking forward to seeing it sometime soon, haven't been able to make a meet in months.

was driving down a country road, round a bend to be faced by a wall/gate/dead end...slammed on and locked up, slid 60-70ft on this crappy tarmac and just stopped on a bit of grass, snapped the bolt off holding the bumper on....lol

DSCN0010-1.jpg

Whoops! lol

MK2 Mondeo 2.0 16V Zetec

I think I came across this tonight. Big repsect, thats fast as fook!!!!

yeah mate I went past you, then parked up to get some food....then you went past on stonecross?

alun, no hes not, thats another lad

snick, lol