ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

Now now, lol....should be a good day either way!

Car ticked over 153,000 on the clocks last night, which means ive done a tad over 7k on the 172 engine now :)

Although, when I started it earlier today, the rev counter was just dead, like the ignition wasnt even on... BUT, when I pulled away, it came into life and was fine for the 10 minute drive. God knows what that was all about!

Nah, still got more parts of the cage to go in.

Once thats in, cut the doors out to get some weight back, then smaller battery when I buy one. Then I will get it weighed :)

TVR Cerbera

Now now, lol....should be a good day either way!

Car ticked over 153,000 on the clocks last night, which means ive done a tad over 7k on the 172 engine now :)

Although, when I started it earlier today, the rev counter was just dead, like the ignition wasnt even on... BUT, when I pulled away, it came into life and was fine for the 10 minute drive. God knows what that was all about!

That's 100% the crank sensor. mine does it too

yeah but if the crank sensor isnt working, the engine wont run.... Injectors/Coilpack wont work...correct?

It fired up and ran fine, just no output on the revs. Drove it a few times since, been reet...I have a spare crank sensor if the worst comes to the worst though..

TVR Cerbera

yeah but if the crank sensor isnt working, the engine wont run.... Injectors/Coilpack wont work...correct?

It fired up and ran fine, just no output on the revs. Drove it a few times since, been reet...I have a spare crank sensor if the worst comes to the worst though..

You are right in the theory, however mine does exactly the same. if i wiggle the plug on mine it comes back, but most of the time it's fine.

When i was experimenting with problematic sensors, i found if the sensor was a nats c0ck too close the rev counter didn't work and if it was too far away, the engine wouldn't run. I know there seems to be no play in the up/down movement of the sensor, but there is enough to cause problems. However it usually only happens with piggyback ecu's (omex for example).

Interesting...seems fine for now anyway!

Thinking of going aftermarket ECU very shortly anyway, will see what happens :)

You on RTOC Mark? Ive posted up on there about ECU's...see where I get :)

If I post up on here Id' just get babbled with how OMEX is god!

ValverInBits

You on RTOC Mark? Ive posted up on there about ECU's...see where I get :)

If I post up on here Id' just get babbled with how OMEX is god!

I've just commissioned a custom turbo manifold......this leaves me more than short of the £25 RTOC want! But I have signed up unpaid.
Honestly though. There is very very little in it between omex and emerald. I chose emerald as it does a few extra things that I like and also there are hundreds of 20vTurbos running really well on it. As for support, Omex is supposed to be very good and emerald not so good. Personally I've found emerald very good on support so far.

Well, im 50/50 on OMEX tbh, yeah it seems like a good piece of kit, but people who I know that are running it have had their fair share of problems etc, so im not convinced at the moment!

TVR Cerbera

DTA, Emerald, Adaptronic and Pectel are all being considered tbh!

Out of that lot Pectel would win everytime, but it aint cheap.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for, Omex is ok for what you pay, there are better for sure, but it will be reflected in your wallet!

TBH i'd wished i'd spent a bit more ;)

And you might want to aftermarket clocks too, to get rid of all the renault sh1te

I dont have any wires from the clocks to the standard ECU at the moment though...lol

Acctually, 1 wire, tacho. lol. easy enough!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Evening Jordan, you rude fucker. ;)

I've searched your thread but its got beyond stupid now! lol.

Alternators.....

I've got the 172 alternator fitted in mine, but what did you do about a tensioning bracket??? I've sold the old valver engine and bits so can't rob anything off there.

Any help, much appreciated!! :D

LOL.

Basically...If your running the old style brackets (i.e. from an old Mk1 without power steering, with the bit that goes on the block and the tensioning bit), the 172 alternator will not fit, it sits too far over. These are the old style brackets:

IMG_1401.jpg

If you have that^ setup, you will need to run a Mk1 alternator as I found out when I tried to fit a 172 alternator, just dosent work.

On the other hand...

If you are running the 172 Cup brackets, the 172 alternator will fit fine, but you need a shorter belt as you are not running PAS.

Note: In both situations you will need a 5 rib belt, not 6, as it will rub on the cambelt cover because of the route a non-pas setup takes...

The only way you can run a 172 alternator is with the Cup Brackets, OR if your running a Mk1 power steering setup (like Matteh), which you aren't so ignore that!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

I have cut the 172 bracket in half so the Alternator is fitted fine, unwanted pulley is long gone.

I just need a custom bracket to adjust the tension. I'm guessing from your response I have done this completely different to you and the others! lol.

Nevermind, cheers anyway mate.

True ;)

Well apart from the sunroof leaking a bit, needs more sealant.

Not much else to update, cage will be finished soon. Few more bits to tidy up before Cadwell on the 11th, updates soon :)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

jord, watched a few of your cadwell vids last night whilst waiting to go on a shoot, very impressed with the car, and your handling of some of the mistakes....

great to see your hard work paying off and being enjoyed

yeah, all the hassle is paying off (nearly), had a good few weeks now of driving without problems, been spot on :)

With regards to my leaking problem, ran another bead of silicone round the sunroof this morning, all watertight now, sorted :)

Bit of an update from today...

After the box mount shearing off before brands hatch at some point, I had been left with one of the bolts snapped off inside the casing. I had just been running the car with two bolts in the mount instead of three, and the rear brace thing. Decided I would try and get this snapped off bolt out today, as I really cant be bothered changing the gearbox and it was annoying me...

I torqued the two bolts and brace up after brands, and since done another trackday and driving about, and it hadnt come loose, so it was holding. But either way I wanted it sorting...

IMG_3924.jpg

As you can see the bolt is missing....removed the mount completely, and you can see the thread...

IMG_3927.jpg

You can also see the far right hole has been damaged slightly from when the mount came loose, another excuse to take the box out really. Tried to drill a center hole into it, which I did, then tried to use some thread extractors (yes Winston ;) ) to remove the bolt, but they were made of cheese and did not work... After that I just gave up and put it all back on, but beforehand fitted this.... front '4th' box mount, comes on 172's etc but I had never bothered with it before...

IMG_3930.jpg

IMG_3933.jpg

I really should have painted the bracket but I couldnt be bothered and just wanted to see what difference it made, lol.

Fitted and it certainly does make a difference, alot more 'together' and ive lost all the rattling from my solid rear dogbone mount for now :) Although, my downpipe has started blowing again from the manifold join, new gasket time again, and hope the engine has less movement now with the 4th mount to stop the gasket wearing again...

Anyway after giving up on the sheared off bolt, I cleaned up the JB3 I had off the blue valver (Very low milage, was bought from renault by previous owner :) )... Painted it up with some hammerite like last time, slightly different color this time as its all I had lol...

IMG_3934.jpg

Mmmmmm bolt in diff rather than s**tty circlip :)

IMG_3936.jpg

Il probably try and get the box swapped in the next week or so, before the renaultsport cadwell day, will just have to see how much else needs doing. Quicker for me to drain the coolant and take the engine out, swap boxes and put it back in, didnt take long at all last time....and I cant be bothered mucking around trying to get it through a gap in the subframe.

Sorted the rest of the cage bars over the past week or so, the ones that were wrong are now profiled to how I want, 7 in total (rear lower stays, harness bars, door bars, bulkhead bar), and they just need welding in. I will hopefully find someone who can weld around this way that can just spend an hour welding round them and then its done and in, and can get on with painting....dragging on now :boring:

More soon!

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

Good work.

Your bits always look good painted, mine look crap.

i think it's all in the picture ;)

everything i take a picture of looks sh*t tbh

jord, how much do you estimate you have spent on type D coolant? i reckon i'm up around the £150 mark now :clown: everytime i do it with a view to keeping it clean, but it always ends up getting contaminated, this weekend it was in a bucket and my bro drilled a piece of aluminium next to it, metal filings ftl :rolleyes:

oh dear, not good lol

Erm no idea, this stuff has been in for around 7k now, and its still pretty clean, gone a bit yellow if anything....

My radiator has a hole in it though, tiny one in the bottom drivers side, as my coolant keeps going down and i get a little puddle from time to time under that location, so I just keep topping it up with water...

When I swap the gearboxes il get some fresh and use that though, but no idea on totals, maybe 6-7 full (x5 litre) tub's worths? lol

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

lol

GSF must love me, last time i ordered some i hit the pay button twice by accident, a nice lady rang me 5 mins later to ask if i meant to buy for 4 x 5 litre tubs as all the other orders i had made in the past were for 2 x 5 litres. you know it's bad when the shop knows your order! roffle

its the same with gearbox oil, whenever i change it i use a fresh, clean container, and yet something else (usually a bit of coolant) manages to get in there. costing me a damn fortune!

BMW M5 & E36

The amount of gearbox oil i've been through is painful, got about 35 litres of various fluids sat in a waste tub!

ValverInBits

Nice guide mate, still not sure about fitting the 172 widetrack to my car. I think i'll stick with williams for now.

The amount of gearbox oil i've been through is painful, got about 35 litres of various fluids sat in a waste tub!

VAG helpfully designed their 'boxes so the driveshafts bolt onto plates outside the box casing......No oil lost :D
German Win....Ja!

106 GTI

Nice guide mate, still not sure about fitting the 172 widetrack to my car. I think i'll stick with williams for now.

VAG helpfully designed their 'boxes so the driveshafts bolt onto plates outside the box casing......No oil lost :D
German Win....Ja!

In france they use baguettes to just soak up any spills

ITB'd 182...

Whats the differnce in the boxes Jord?

Valver and a PH1 1*2?

Any differnce in ratios?