ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mintno1's Ph1 172 & Ph2 172 Cup Progress Thread

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Looks tidy - intrigued to hear how this happened...
What's the plans with it?
Nice pics Gareth - i'll miss the old-gal, but I know its in good hands :cool:
Looks tidy too

So bit more info... didn't mean to be so elusive before :smile:

Bought the car from @DerbyDan last night... I met Dan when I was breaking my previous Ph1 as he purchased a couple of bits off me and we had a brief chat about his car and I commented then how clean it was compared to mine. It transpired that I had actually spoken to the previous owner who Dan purchased it from but because I was working in Manchester for a month at the time didn't manage to get to view it and Dan snapped it up. Since then we have chatted on the forum and commented on each others threads and when I read he was thinking of selling I dropped him a message. I wasn't looking for another car at all so needless to say my wife was intrigued as to my reasoning as to why we needed another Clio especially as the cup is now louder and more uncomfortable then when it arrived (her words, I would disagree completely) 😂

Anyway I ended up buying it, we agreed a price and I collected last night :up:

It is very clean I think and all original apart from springs, exhaust and a couple of other bits as far as i can tell. It currently needs a new shock on the rear and Dan very kindly supplied with 2 new so they will be fitted this weekend. Currently just going to drive for a few weeks and see what I think might need doing soon and in the future but the plan currently is to keep it as standard as it is already and try not to put many miles on it, will carry on modifying the cup to compensate though :smile:

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
So essentially you bought it to save it and make sure it didn't get stripped for parts or tracked?

Yes essentially, I have already broken one which I thought was for the right reasons but I just felt I hadn't finished with a Ph1. It won't be tracked or stripped for parts, I intend to do whatever work needs doing now and in the future and keep it for the long term :up:

yes!!!! phase 1! cup was okay, phase 1 wins ;-)

It's funny I thought you would like the post :smile: seeing yours didn't help when we met with those parts :up:

Great stuff, I've seen the thread on this car before and thought then it looked a cracker, so it's nice to see it's being kept on the forum. With it being so original and clean looking in the photos, that's exactly the right thing to be doing here, keep the phase 1 minty clean and standard and use the Cup as the modified, loud, B-road blaster, therefore having the best of both worlds. High five not available, so have a thumbsup :up:

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Great stuff, I've seen the thread on this car before and thought then it looked a cracker, so it's nice to see it's being kept on the forum. With it being so original and clean looking in the photos, that's exactly the right thing to be doing here, keep the phase 1 minty clean and standard and use the Cup as the modified, loud, B-road blaster, therefore having the best of both worlds. High five not available, so have a thumbsup :up:

Exactly, couldn't have put it better myself :up:

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
I haven't added up how much I have spent, probably best not too 😂 still more to do as well, keeps me entertained!
I no the feeling it bankrupts us haha. 13k and counting on mine [emoji85][emoji85]

Just don't tell the Mrs [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Am going to keep the Ph1 and the Ph2 cup updated in this thread, hopefully makes it easier, can't deal with more than one thread :smile:

This weekend's job was to get the new rear shocks on the Ph1, here they are, supplied by Dan when I purchased the car which was good of him :up:
36334912043_4bc70d2cac_b.jpg

No shots during but one afterwards on Alex's drive
36751141910_238057eaf3_b.jpg

Shot of Renaultsport logo on the front driver's seat, I did take some interior pics but wasn't happy with them, should have hoovered before I tried photographing
36334909993_36020b2641_b.jpg

And last one of both cars together, it was raining so I took one quick pic, no update on the cup this weekend other than I have a knocking I noticed earlier so I need to work out what that is
36751137910_7736fcf4c6_b.jpg

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Looks lovely and genuine. @DerbyDan always came across as a honest genuine guy so hopefully you got a great deal. If you decide to sell the ph1, give me a shout. I miss mine 😧 I'd love another one.

Was and easy and pain free transaction on both sides and it's getting driven at the minute which is good although am currently trying to organise a garage/storage for it so will see how that pans out, it won't become a true garage queen whatever happens :up: Their is definitely something about the Ph1's and they do drive completely differently to the Ph2's especially when you drive them back to back, amazing how different they are, if I decide to sell I will give you a shout, hope you are well Mark :smile:

Looks lovely and genuine. @DerbyDan always came across as a honest genuine guy so hopefully you got a great deal.

If you decide to sell the ph1, give me a shout. I miss mine 😧 I'd love another one.

Thanks for the 'big-up' :up::blush: I like to think that when I sell anything that the potential buyer know everything about it - the good points & the bad. I've been so lucky with the last two cars that I've sold in that they've gone to the absolute perfect new owners... last year I sold my Honda Integra - back to Honda UK & its now been refreshed & has been featured in a number of magazines & had appearances at Goodwood FOS & Car-fest north & south. The Clio has gone to Gareth, someone I know will look after & appreciate it.... whilst I think I would have felt uncomfortable selling the car to someone who didn't know RS Clios, Gareth I think knows that these cars aren't perfect.... & my Phase1 isn't the absolute perfect example by any means... but with his input it has the potential to be a very nice original example of a PH1 172.... I will continue to check out this thread to check on its progress....

I am certainly missing it... my 'new' Honda CRZ is a mile ahead in terms of comfort over the Clio... but I do miss driving something that provides that visceral/analogue experience that the Clio does....

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Little update as I have been a bit slack recently, you can tell autumn has set in :smile:

172 Cup
Have a slight knocking still and still haven't managed to get under the car to see what I think it may be, it isn't doing it al the time so am hoping it's something and nothing, have booked it in at Engine Dynamics but before it goes I wanted to get an RS lower inlet as mine didn't have one, I don't have any other plans engine wise (possibly Ph1 airbox, think I might have organised one) so that was the only thing I wanted to add before it goes, managed to get a lower RS inlet and upper that had been ported and polished by APD off @shiftspark they arrived yesterday so got them fitted today

Before showing the MR Products battery cover I fitted a few weekends ago
37024622323_3a1cc67da6_b.jpg

During
37024624643_a028b9af4f_b.jpg

37024623533_13fa4df3a4_b.jpg

23842058538_679b413baf_b.jpg

After
37024621753_b6f608f479_b.jpg

Car is currently filthy so tomorrow it will get a wash

Ph1 172
No pics but it has been being driven on a regular basis as the family car decided to fail it's MOT a couple of weeks ago, I have bought a OEM Valeo clutch and I think the vibration under heavy acceleration is probably the driveshaft so have a 2nd hand one to go on, will also get the timing checked at the same time as it is a little lumpy when idling, more than they normally are anyway. Have also all being well got new wing mirrors coming that aren't faded along the top edge and a aluminium bonnet to go on, not a modification as such but can't hurt :smile:

Hope everyone has had a productive car day with the sun shining :up:

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
I keep toying with the idea of new wheels but I do like the F1's still, especially in silver, they look so much better than the blue, I like the fact they are Renault wheels as well just fancy trying something else... maybe :smile: and some new seats after mapping at ED

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Milestone reached last night in the Ph1, had to pull over and grab a picture

37782770516_edce132fa6_b.jpg

Also managed to organise a garage for it to go in when it's not being used, garage needs a good clean, will try and do that tomorrow but put it in there this morning for the first time, make sure it fitted 😂

37782769166_da590cddf5_b.jpg

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
I love the ph1.
Like proper in love, love. So much want for it!!
Was good to see you last night. And the ph1 also. But mostly the ph1!!

I don't mind coming second to a Ph1 😂 I'll bring it back again and do some work on it rather than just watching you and @MrBlonde slaving away :up: I might come and ask your expertise to come up with a plan of action for what needs doing on it to get it where I want it

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
That's a nice low milage that, defo worthy of a big thumbsup :up: I only wanted a phase 2 originally but I've joined the longggg list now of people loving the phase 1's!

There is definitely something about the Ph1's you should get one Steve you won't regret it, it's surprising how different they are to the Ph2's as well, I can't remember the last time I saw a ph1 out on the road either they are definitely getting rarer

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Lovely work, and agreed all about the phase 1, came to a choice for me again the RB would be the first to go for sure

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Bought these today, thinking of putting them on the cup, they need some work first though, question is what colour should I get them? Any suggestions?

24003804848_2ca24d6a03_b.jpg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Just sell them to me, much less hassle ;-)
I'd say go silver though, I've always wanted silver Williams wheels and always ended up with every other colour, lol! Would look excellent on the phase 1 then imo

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Just sell them to me, much less hassle ;-)
I'd say go silver though, I've always wanted silver Williams wheels and always ended up with every other colour, lol! Would look excellent on the phase 1 then imo

Will shout if I decide to sell them :smile: silver is on the list as I thought if I didn't like it could spray them myself with very little hassle as I'm guessing it would be easy to cover :up: they are supposed to be for the cup not the Ph1 😂

Got to say that I am missing the ol’ Phase1 - seeing photos of it here isn’t helping lol! But with my recent change of jobs & thus increase in commuting mileage means it would have just been unfair on the old Clio.... it is nice to see that you have got somewhere dry in which to store it Gareth. I’m surprised that you thing the vibration on hard acceleration might be the driveshaft/s..... the vibration only started after the change to the OEM mounts from the Ktec ones it had on originally... hence why I thought it might have been ‘just’ a heat shield or rubbing exhaust?... but I suppose the extra movement of the engine could throw up other issues?

PS; the Cup’s improvements continue to make it one desirable car..... the Williams wheels will look tidy on it - my vote is to re-finishe them in bronze

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Got to say that I am missing the ol’ Phase1 - seeing photos of it here isn’t helping lol! But with my recent change of jobs & thus increase in commuting mileage means it would have just been unfair on the old Clio.... it is nice to see that you have got somewhere dry in which to store it Gareth. I’m surprised that you thing the vibration on hard acceleration might be the driveshaft/s..... the vibration only started after the change to the OEM mounts from the Ktec ones it had on originally... hence why I thought it might have been ‘just’ a heat shield or rubbing exhaust?... but I suppose the extra movement of the engine could throw up other issues? PS; the Cup’s improvements continue to make it one desirable car..... the Williams wheels will look tidy on it - my vote is to re-finishe them in bronze

Hope you are good Dan and the new job is working out well! It is good to have somewhere dry
to store it and hopefully store some parts in there as well :smile: Will have a proper explore of the driveshaft etc. when it goes in for the clutch but I suspect it may be that, it's not a problem, I have one ready anyway so will figure it out. Cup is getting better, hadn't thought about bronze will add it on the list, been messing about in Photoshop but still can't decide what colour yet

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Well I opted for silver on the Williams wheels, I think the silver Oz F1's work really well with the blue so hopefully these will as well, will try and get them fitted over the weekend/next week so will update when they are on, might have to mess with the ride height as well :up: @Coops Turbo you need a silver set now

37432551254_3d4a4dc387_b.jpg

37432552064_74834683d2_b.jpg

24289589828_0a6436b4db_b.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Great stuff. Company we have been using charge 160 for four if we remove they tyres. No brainer on some cars we’ve recently had in. That’s for 15/16”.