ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane R26

M135i and the shed
Very kind gents. Cheers! :)

Fingers crossed i've snagged a set of Performance Friction 330mm 2 piece discs for it. Hope to pick them up this weekend. :D

Proper car, this. Having seen it in person too, it's even better than it look in pictures.

Well when you decide you wat to dabble in forced induction i'll happily take your RB in p/x. ;)

M135i and the shed
Another quick update. Had a drive over to Chester yesterday and exchanged a small amount of currency for these beauties:

6043564738_05fcecdf75_b.jpg

PF 330mm Discs by PoobahUK, on Flickr

Performance Friction 330mm 2 piece fully floating disc set-up. I hadn't intended to uprate the discs just yet but at the price these came up at, i'd have been a fool to ignore them.

M135i and the shed
Who did you snaffle these from? ;)

Sounds like a good purchase!

Some very nice gent who'd just sold his .R in favour of a GT3. I was more than happy to relieve him of these for a paltry sum! ;)

They were listed on Ebay but the only identifiable search criteria to find them would have been "Megane Brakes". Not very descriptive but i'm not complaining.

340i
Some very nice gent who'd just sold his .R in favour of a GT3. I was more than happy to relieve him of these for a paltry sum! ;)

They were listed on Ebay but the only identifiable search criteria to find them would have been "Megane Brakes". Not very descriptive but i'm not complaining.

ohhh, top work!

I love it when those little eBay gems come up :)

M135i and the shed
Had a great day at Cadwell Park today with MSV. The car performed faultlessly, so well that I wasn't passed in the entire day. Chuffed with that. Also had a great 6 lap play with a very pleasant chap in a 911 Carrera which was fun.

Strong points of the car at Cadwell were definately the 330mm PF brake set-up. The 911 was a fair bit swifter on the straights but I could make up so much ground under braking. A really fantastic set of brakes which provided fade free braking all day, even if they do sound like smashed crockery!

Other than that, the chassis just gave so much confidence. So intuitive and predictable going from grip to slip. Fantastic.

Weak points were again the tyres. Don't get me wrong, the Vreds performed admirably but after 6 or 7 laps you could tell they had too much heat in them. Still impressive for a road rubber with such decent wet weather grip.

A few pics:

Early doors start.

6251100844_42bea96fee_b.jpg

Cadwell Park by PoobahUK, on Flickr

6250570919_3eaa069993_b.jpg

Hall Bends by PoobahUK, on Flickr

First job of the day sorted.

6251093252_98f553aa0c_b.jpg

IMG_20111016_103840 by PoobahUK, on Flickr

Out on track.

6251073574_46eb666fcf_b.jpg

LMP_9482_9.00 - 9.20 by PoobahUK, on Flickr

6250541489_135402aec4_b.jpg

LMP_4503_15.00 - 15.20 by PoobahUK, on Flickr

6250533931_1752274cbb_b.jpg

LMP_4418_15.00 - 15.20 by PoobahUK, on Flickr

6251063672_e2bb2b9fd1_b.jpg

LMP_4422_15.00 - 15.20 by PoobahUK, on Flickr

6250526313_0f92bf28a4_b.jpg

LMP_2417_12.00 - 12.20 by PoobahUK, on Flickr

Tripod. :)

6250478001_40f76cd940_b.jpg

LMP_2364_12.00 - 12.20 by PoobahUK, on Flickr

6251007228_030d925d11_b.jpg

LMP_2365_12.00 - 12.20 by PoobahUK, on Flickr

6250474187_0f0c19accf_b.jpg

LMP_1564_14.00 - 14.20 by PoobahUK, on Flickr

6250990686_b2d83e57e4_b.jpg

LMP_1361_14.00 - 14.20 by PoobahUK, on Flickr

6250467147_abe0115a13_b.jpg

LMP_1365_14.00 - 14.20 by PoobahUK, on Flickr

Cheers for looking. :)

BMW M5 & E36
Looks fantastic as ever Chris. Have you been around Cadwell before? My favourite track by far. I've just bought another Megane, R26 this time, no doubt it'll be out on track at some point.

M135i and the shed
Looks fantastic as ever Chris. Have you been around Cadwell before? My favourite track by far. I've just bought another Megane, R26 this time, no doubt it'll be out on track at some point.

Thanks very much. I'd been round as a passenger before and watched loads of BSB racing there but my first time driving it. As you'll know, it's uch a technical circuit and really hard on brakes and tyres! Really love it as a track as it's got a bit of everything I reckon. :)

My favourite part has to be hall bends or the gooseneck down to mansfield. Great fun and a good opportunity to get the back end moving about nicely. Not much room for error though in some points.

BMW M5 & E36
Not quite possible to launch over the mountain Josh Brookes style!

It's brilliant, I can't remember if I've done 4 or 5 days there now but I'll never get bored of the place. It's a track where you really don't need straight line speed to be quick, it just suits a well sorted chassis. My Clio was rediculously good around there, so much time to be made up through the technical bits that the straights aren't really important.

Lack of run-off just adds to the experience!

M135i and the shed
Not quite possible to launch over the mountain Josh Brookes style!

It's brilliant, I can't remember if I've done 4 or 5 days there now but I'll never get bored of the place. It's a track where you really don't need straight line speed to be quick, it just suits a well sorted chassis. My Clio was rediculously good around there, so much time to be made up through the technical bits that the straights aren't really important.

Lack of run-off just adds to the experience!

Absolutely. This was the situation with the 911 in the above pictures. Had a great 6 lap play with the Porsche which pulled away on the straights but I could make up so much time on the brakes and corners. A really close match-up with both cars having their benefits.

The only negative thing I could say about the day was that my tyres (although surprisingly good) started to go off a little after 6 or 7 laps. Not a massive problem as I just came in let them cool off before going out again. The price you pay for running road rubber rather than semi-slicks I guess.

BMW M5 & E36
I see the road/track tyre arguement was touched upon in your Meganesport blog. You'll have no more fun with stickier tyres, just marginally quicker laptimes and a bigger chunk out your wallet. Money better spent elsewhere for me, or just towards more trackdays. Miles = smiles.

M135i and the shed
I see the road/track tyre arguement was touched upon in your Meganesport blog. You'll have no more fun with stickier tyres, just marginally quicker laptimes and a bigger chunk out your wallet. Money better spent elsewhere for me, or just towards more trackdays. Miles = smiles.

My thoughts also. Had so much fun sliding the back end around into hall bends. Great fun even if not ultimately as quick as a sticky set of tyres. :)

Just read through this thread for the first time. Your car is absolutely awesome. Nicest one I've seen. Some cracking photo's too.
Whenever in the [very distant] future I upgrade from my 182, these megs are looking more and more a good choice.
They just look so mean from the front.

P0rn. Favourite R26 by a mile.

Looked at getting a loan to buy it when you had it up for sale! Thought better of it though, sadly.

M135i and the shed
P0rn. Favourite R26 by a mile.

Looked at getting a loan to buy it when you had it up for sale! Thought better of it though, sadly.

Cheers. :)

Good solid cars these as long as you go sensible with the boost and power levels. Running it at about 270bhp and 290lb/ft and oil changes every 6 months makes for a pretty reliable but quick car really.

Clio RS ph1
This is probably one of the best Megane's ever!!

What size tires are you using? I'm thinking of buying the Vredestein aswell.
I'm running 235/40/18 at the moment. Same size Vredestein wil cost me € 204,- While the 225/40/18 will only set me back € 130,- over here in The Netherlands.

M135i and the shed
This is probably one of the best Megane's ever!!

What size tires are you using? I'm thinking of buying the Vredestein aswell.
I'm running 235/40/18 at the moment. Same size Vredestein wil cost me € 204,- While the 225/40/18 will only set me back € 130,- over here in The Netherlands.

Wow, very kind mate, but there are some other Megs out there that are pretty damn special. :)

In terms of the Vreds, i'm running 235/40/18 as per factory spec. Don't think i'd personally drop to a 225/40/18 unless I was going for a semi-slick like an RS2 or R888.

Good tyres the Vreds. Underestimated but decent in the dry (seem as good as my PS2's did previously) and mega capable in the wet. The only downside is that they don't have the durability of the PS2's in my opinion.

M135i and the shed
Small update. The car hasn't really moved since getting its 4 year service at Birchdown but since the last update i've had a new set of rear drilled discs, performance friction 97 rear pads and another flush through with RBF600.

I also finally got round to using my ITG Cosworth 60/67 filter which i've had sat around for the last few months.

IMG_20120217_221700.jpg

IMG_20120217_221605.jpg

6897204403_e5a18d1954_b.jpg

ITG Intake by PoobahUK, on Flickr

Air filter relocated inside the front arch/bumper cavity.

Seems keen with this set-up on. Intake temps on Scangauge are comparable to the standard set-up so assume the increased 'urgency' is down to it being a less restrictive intake rather than it being supplied with colder air. The noise is ridiculous so we'll have to see how long I keep it on for. Looking at the hosing used for the ITG kit I suspect it's not going to compress down unless you're going for forged engine type power however I might consider asking ITG about the possibilities of it being hard-piped.

Nimbus Megane R26
hmmm would be interested in that setup for mine.. does that come as a kit with the pipework included??

R26 + EV0 FQ340
How much bigger is the Cozzie filter Poob and would it make any difference to the amount of available air? I can see It helping up to a certin point then thinking it would be governed by the ITG hose size.