ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

megane 225 engine into a clio 197

Megane 2 GT 165
225 --> 172 / 182 the box is to big I heard as well
225 --> 197 could well work...both 6 speeds however might be completely different ofcourse :D

well intrested !!

clio sport 197
well my gear box is on it way out and iam pretty sure there idenitical but with a turbo and also piston compression ratio. ive had nothing but problems with the engine/gear-box and front suspension/steering on my 197 ive replaced most of it lol terrible. also is on its way out of warrenty and the renault garage my way are usless. totaly. so iam up for the challenge also i think it will be worth it and it will be fun todo. lol

altho it might end you in tears lol

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
well i suppose if your ones knackered its worth considering.

otherwise i wouldnt bother if it was just for the sake of upgrading.

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
well my gear box is on it way out and iam pretty sure there idenitical but with a turbo and also piston compression ratio. ive had nothing but problems with the engine/gear-box and front suspension/steering on my 197 ive replaced most of it lol terrible. also is on its way out of warrenty and the renault garage my way are usless. totaly. so iam up for the challenge also i think it will be worth it and it will be fun todo. lol

altho it might end you in tears lol

:eek::eek::eek:

why? Just buy a 225.
because it takes all the fun ouf of a hobby called modifying
people have been putting cosworth lumps and vaux LET or XE lumps in anything and everything but what thay came from for the last 10-15 years because:
1: its fun doing something new
2: something others would not expect
3: sometimes faster (would be in a clio)
4: something to do
5: learn by doing
6: because since the beging of time theres allways the need to make something better diffreant
7: because by doing you learn how to take an aux belt off in 1min and not takeing all day over it so you get to play with your toy sooner

could you put a megane 225 from a 57 reg engine into a clio 197 07? What would I need and is it possible???

anything is possible but as most people that have Renault don't do convertions there's no real info or support in it

1: will it fit, yes it will, no really it will.
2: gear box to big? No sutch thing

As for mounts I don't know but with a bit of fabrication when the engine it sat in the right place its not realy that hard to make your own mounts if there not the same (is the 225 engine not just a lowcomp version of the Clio engine anyway?) cannot see Renault building a totally new engine for one car tbo so mounts should not be a prob.

If this was going in a 172 then mounts might need making but I cannot see this with yours.

What you will need making is
1: airfilter to turbo, turbo to intercooler, cooler to intake making as it will be totally different. Then you will need (maybe a custom down pipe) then downpipe to back of car (3")

then get some chips from somewhere (or 1k for mapable management [fucherpruffing]) and away you go 300bhp.

if you got proper management and you come across a free 10k you can build a 400-500bhp engine (yes it really do cost that mutch to make one that does not pop)
but for >1k 300bhp should be easy done if you know the right people

even this morening i was thinking of putting the vaux XE lump that i have leying around in the kangoo.

Last edited:
  RS CLIO 197
shame your not closer to me would have liked to given you a hand - i was always curious about this mod engines look very similar - think the 225 cam cover is quite a bit different but the 197 has the under bonnet space - as for gearboxes 225 / 197 are they really the same ?

Golf GTD Mk7
^^^ you'll have the power of the 225 but the handling of the 197. Better choise than just buying a 225 imo of course.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Would be epic. Given that the front end is identical from what i understand, couldn't see why it wouldn't fit. I'd probably try and fit an lsd at the same time.

clio 172 cup
i would go down the route of stripping a 225 like the r26.r and getting the power upto 270-300bhp

ITB'd MK1
^^^ you'll have the power of the 225 but the handling of the 197. Better choise than just buying a 225 imo of course.

weight saving as well. The 225 is a fantastic car, the 197 lacks something, I think this is IT ( pending the time we have the rotrex conversion done ;) )

clio sport 197
well ive got a couple of engines in mind including a 230. but iam having trouble with the ecu you can get so-called universal ones but whats the best one and getting a good engine is hard never mind ecu. i should have secured my-self an engine by sunday hopfully. the only worrie i have is the clearence on the rear of the engine bay for the turbo/manifold. there looks enoughf room but you never know. as for the gear box and basically the whole front end it is a megane ive changed a number of parts for my 197 including track rods/drop links + others and its all a megane sport.

THO`S CHEAP FRENCHIE`S LOL...

anyone with any info is always welcome.

R27
i was told that harness and ecu reading will need to be replaced.. And the handling will be compromised due to the weight ratio... then again..it might be a lazy mechanic..

Cheers

Desm

Golf GTD Mk7
You might need to uprate the suspension to allow for the extra weight, but I can't see there being that much difference in a 2L NA and a 2L turbo.

R27
i think there will be alot of difference in HP & Torque ..but compromised on response and handling. i would loved to convert when my engine goes kaput..
but imagine the trouble you have to go through ...better think twice..hehe

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
You might need to uprate the suspension to allow for the extra weight, but I can't see there being that much difference in a 2L NA and a 2L turbo.

Same set up as the meggy at the front!!

'revo knuckle' anyone ;)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
i think there will be alot of difference in HP & Torque ..but compromised on response and handling. i would loved to convert when my engine goes kaput..
but imagine the trouble you have to go through ...better think twice..hehe
Handling wouldn't be compromised IMO, the lumps can't be that much heavier in the Meg?

Golf GTD Mk7
Handling wouldn't be compromised IMO, the lumps can't be that much heavier in the Meg?

Probably just the weight of the turbo/accessories, so not much. It's not like the ktec conversion on the 182 compromises its handling.

ECU's are the same so assuming you have an electronics engineer/calibrator who is capable then you can run the Megane lump on the 'standard' engine control.

The engine physicaly fits and the box pretty much clears. Mounts are the same. Turbo clears the rear bulkhead with a couple of mm spare.

Cheers
M

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
id say its actually a pretty easy conversion due to running the same box, ecu and similar lumps.

however i will add this, if you have had never ending toubles with your gearbox and engine and suspension id be looking at your or maby the previous owners driving style.

ValverInBits
can we throw these compromised handling myths out the window please. It's a very similar engine, with a slightly stronger bottom end, a small turbo and an ally intercooler. You won't notice it in a car that weighs what a 197 does.

Good idea. Most likely turn out to be a simple bolt on engine conversion. If the management becomes a pain, fork out 600 for emerald or omex.

Simples

R27
So if thats the case, why dont we just add on a turbo, intercooler with the ECU?

Instead of dropping the whole engine?

Just my 2 cents.

Anyone knows the compression ratio for the megane?

Desm