ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's Fiesta ST

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
What's the general thought on getting the ST Mountuned from the word go?

I definitely want it done but wondering if I should wait until the car has a couple of thousand on the clock?

I'd say do what I did and wait for it. Get used to what the non-MP215 car has, how strong it is, how it feels and responds, it's certainly no slouch in standard form. Then when you finally give in and go for it (I lasted 12,500 miles) you'll really feel the difference, everywhere, every time you drive it. You'll really appreciate how it enhances the standard car, how it does it so well, and that you'd never have known it if you hadn't driven one without for any length of time.

Thanks for the response Mark.

Not sure if I could wait that long as I will do 12500 miles in a year and am on a 2 year PCP.

My thoughts were to run it in for 1,000 miles and get it done.

Wont be as quick as the M135i but 200bhp per tonne (Mountuned) and going back to manual should make it a right laugh!

RB182cup&golf gti
I mountuned mine from 500 miles and it now has 1500 miles on it so not qualified to comment on the difference as can't remember the stock performance. Was initially very impressed though and Love it, it picks up so smoothly in every gear and whistles and whooshes. Will be interesting to compare it to my 182cup when I tax it in the spring.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I don't understand what that is. :eek:

Its a function whereby when full throttle is applied the turbo generates more boost (Overboost) thus giving the car more power. However this overboost is only temporary (15-20 seconds) and is why in the UK Ford aren't allowed to advertise the power of the Fiesta ST as 200bhp (Overboost figure) but intact 180bhp (Non-overboost power figure).

Its a means of "fiddling" the numbers so certain efficiency's are met (MPG, G/Km/CO2 etc etc).

In the US however, Ford are allowed to market the car as having 200bhp as over there "temporary power figures" are allowed.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I see! So with the Mountune map is it 215bhp on overboost only? What would it be 'normally'?

There's no "actual" figures that state this. Though I'd say you'll get the 200bhp figure.

I see. Either way it sounds like a worthy upgrade.

I'd love an ST for the way that they drive but I can't get on with the looks... I much prefer the body of the Zetec S for some reason.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I see. Either way it sounds like a worthy upgrade.

I'd love an ST for the way that they drive but I can't get on with the looks... I much prefer the body of the Zetec S for some reason.

Its exactly the same though?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I asked the production team at work if they could find an off-cut of leather in one of this season's must have 'colours' and knock me up a one off...

It's a good match but I'm not convinced myself LOL

IMG_20140210_183444_zpseaa02a45.jpg

IMG_20140210_183435_zps1ad0eb6f.jpg

IMG_20140210_183426_zps323dafa4.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Wow. Is that who you work for Mark? I'm guessing they stitch for many brands?

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Ah i see good old air miles andy in the pic.To be fair mark you could work for the spar shop and that prick wuld turn up for a free can of beans.

Nice wallet though.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
1st service today, FOC as it was negotiated into the deal when I bought the car. No issues at all with anything. They even managed to not replace the foam air filter. One tyre's down to 2mm so a full set of RE050s will be needed before long...I'm hoping I'll be able to eke them all out to 15,000 miles.

13,255 happy miles done so far. Still smiling. Love Mountune more every day now I've learned how to drive it all over again. I'm seeing a fairly easy genuine 45 mpg now too, it seems to be even more efficient than it was when trundling along for mile after mile at 50-60 mph.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The mpg and road tax cost is astounding. It's going to be a great buy for years to come imo.

Anyone know the road tax on the Clio 200T? Being auto might be cheap also.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe I wax lyrical about it too much but my God it offers a lot for a hot hatch. Look at the running costs of a clio 200 that you had, tax, insurance, fuel (I know you have done this) Or a Corsa VXR etc etc.

This is what people want and that's what the manufacturers need to do if they want people to buy affordable sporty cars!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Agreed!

I've spent a lot of time sat behind the wheel of mine now both on the road and on track...and I can't for the life of me find where Ford have cut costs to allow them to price it lower than both the Clio 200T and 208 GTi.

It's either a loss leader for Ford, or they've got a hugely efficient supply chain and production process, or, Peugeot and Renault are simply taking the p*ss.

I think the latter is likely.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
My opinion is they built it from a great base. The mk7 is a superb car.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Ford share a lot of parts between models iirc.

so that keeps costs down.

for example, my rear wiper is also on a Kuga, Mondeo, cmax, smax etc.
door handles are shared, engines, the list goes on and on

i know most car companies do this but it seems ford are too dogs for it.

all part of their "one car" initiative I imagine

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Here's an update following a few changes over the last month or two.

The first was Mountune MP215 being fitted which added a sizeable chunk of cost along with its first service (I've added a notional cost for this as they were thrown in originally as a dealer incentive when I ordered).

The second is a change to the way I'm calculating depreciation; along with taking out the cost of the services which I'm now going to 'charge' as and when they happen I'm now calculating it using the 'sum-of-the-digits' method. The chart shows how it's now more realistic in terms of accelerated depreciation early in a car's life...but the change to the cost per day/mile is frightening...especially when you consider the lease deals out there right now!!!

I'm also now charting a rolling two-month average MPG figure which is a better indication of how it's performing and how I'm driving it...it's plain to see how I've been flooring it almost everywhere since the Mountune upgrade...it should level out and climb again once I regain control of my right foot.

Slide4_zps764d5b32.jpg

Slide1_zpse2ac8da3.jpg

Slide2_zps7aa44418.jpg

Slide3_zps2ff9e4d0.jpg

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Forgot to add, I measured tread depths yesterday too;

FL & FR = 3.5 mm
RL = 3.0 mm
RR = 2.5 mm

A solid 15k miles on a set of the RE050s looks like it'll be possible, and that's including a very hot very dry trackday as well. When I come to replace them I'll be going for exactly the same again...they work so well.

Wow those costs are bloody scary!!!!

My old 911 4S 'only' cost me £14k over the space of 26 months!! I say only because it seems cheap comparing it to your Fiesta lol. Still a s**t load of money down the drain!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Ooft. That depreciation. More than my lease lol.

What was it before Mark?

You can see the delta on the graph - by changing it I've been 'hit' by an additional £1,000-£1,500 over the 9 months I've had it.

It does mean of course that the numbers per mile/day/week/month/year will ALWAYS get better...as it'll never again depreciate as steeply as it is right now.

I'm slowly warming to these leases...but how much more would it have added to cover 20k miles per annum on the m135i for example?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Wow those costs are bloody scary!!!!

My old 911 4S 'only' cost me £14k over the space of 26 months!! I say only because it seems cheap comparing it to your Fiesta lol. Still a s**t load of money down the drain!

Don't forget this includes fuel for 20k miles and a completely unnecessary £700 modification so the overall picture's a little skewed at the moment.

Don't forget this includes fuel for 20k miles and a completely unnecessary £700 modification so the overall picture's a little skewed at the moment.

Yeah of course :)

What's the £700 modification by the way? Moutune package? Thought it was more than that..

Just seems scary to think that it's cost you over £10k already since June. Least it's been fun though!

Love reading all these cost breakdowns you write. It's very OCD like me lol ;)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah of course :)

What's the £700 modification by the way? Moutune package? Thought it was more than that..

Just seems scary to think that it's cost you over £10k already since June. Least it's been fun though!

Love reading all these cost breakdowns you write. It's very OCD like me lol ;)

Mountune MP215 = £689 (£599 + £90 fitting cost).

Has been fun indeed...but when seeing the low cost leases out there makes me think there's a better way. Still, until I get to 5yrs/100k miles the ST is staying put...and by then the depreciation will have evened right out...so at that point, with the knowledge I'll have, I'll give finance options serious consideration so long as the market stays like it is at present.