ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's BMW M140i

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Most of them have no idea what's beneath them. I'm sure I read something, once, somewhere, that said a survey of BMW 1 series owners revealed that 80% of owners think their cars are FWD.

Yes, think I read that somewhere before.

I do have to giggle. The "RWD is better" argument pops up a lot on pistonheads. You get people who act like every car must have a 500bhp V8 and RWD, but then complain that a 250bhp FWD car has too much torque steer to handle lol.

Both are good in my view, just different types of good.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
My S2000 is epic. So easy to push the back out, may be a little too easy in damp conditions.

FWD can still be great fun though and is the safer option for most. My Mrs 2L 1 seres was terrible in the snow.

Mk1
My S2000 is epic. So easy to push the back out, may be a little too easy in damp conditions.

FWD can still be great fun though and is the safer option for most. My Mrs 2L 1 seres was terrible in the snow.
Snap. Dailing my S2k at the moment on AD08rs, coilovers etc. Hardcore or nah!

Truth be told, it's a bit of chore. Traffic and the gear ratios make it feel a bit wooden. Constantly on the clutch. Salt on the roads.

I need to find another comfortable daily asap!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Most of them have no idea what's beneath them. I'm sure I read something, once, somewhere, that said a survey of BMW 1 series owners revealed that 80% of owners think their cars are FWD.

Even if you halved that figure - those results are shocking.

Pretty much any mainstream car north of £20k can break (or at least approach) double the speed limit these days. To have absolutely no idea of which end the car that you're pressing the Go pedal on is driven by, is bloody scary.

To also rely on a battery of electronics that constitute driving aids as your sole protection against driving going wrong - is just as terrifying

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Snap. Dailing my S2k at the moment on AD08rs, coilovers etc. Hardcore or nah!

Truth be told, it's a bit of chore. Traffic and the gear ratios make it feel a bit wooden. Constantly on the clutch. Salt on the roads.

I need to find another comfortable daily asap!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes! They can be hard work, especially this time of year. They also rot like crazy.

That’s why I bought my CTR FN2. It has its faults and the ride is a lot more compromised than in the S2000 (believe it or not) but it’s spacious, cheap, looks decent, well spec’d and a hoot to drive. Point to point it’s also quicker than the S2000 as it’s far easier to drive quickly without the risks.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Yes! They can be hard work, especially this time of year. They also rot like crazy.

That’s why I bought my CTR FN2. It has its faults and the ride is a lot more compromised than in the S2000 (believe it or not) but it’s spacious, cheap, looks decent, well spec’d and a hoot to drive. Point to point it’s also quicker than the S2000 as it’s far easier to drive quickly without the risks.
FN2 CTR is so slow you can kick f**k out of everywhere and not really care

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
FN2 CTR is so slow you can kick f**k out of everywhere and not really care

Yep! That’s the beauty of it. Same as my old Fiesta ZS. Interestingly though, turn the TC off and it will spin up relatively easy. Just goes to show how effective systems of today must be.

The S2000 isn’t quick either in truth, not in today’s standards. It’s got enough power to bite you in the arse though being RWD. You have to concentrate during the wet/cold months or while the tyres are cold.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yep! That’s the beauty of it. Same as my old Fiesta ZS. Interestingly though, turn the TC off and it will spin up relatively easy. Just goes to show how effective systems of today must be.

The S2000 isn’t quick either in truth, not in today’s standards. It’s got enough power to bite you in the arse though being RWD. You have to concentrate during the wet/cold months or while the tyres are cold.

Is the S2000 snappy? I remember getting my MR2 roadster and considering that people said that was snappy but I found it very intuitive to catch and hold.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Is the S2000 snappy? I remember getting my MR2 roadster and considering that people said that was snappy but I found it very intuitive to catch and hold.

All relative really as it depends on how good of a driver you are. The early ones much more so than the later versions (Honda made numerous revisions over the years). I’ve only span mine once and that was in a couple of cm of snow. But yes, it can be very snappy. Wide rear tyres and a short wheel base can catch out people in the wrong conditions. When it goes big time it’s very difficult to regain...Probably the reason why so many have been written off. You do learn it’s limits though. During the summer months it’s brilliant, so much fun. At the end of the day only a select few have any driver aids (optional extra). Try one.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
All relative really as it depends on how good of a driver you are. The early ones much more so than the later versions (Honda made numerous revisions over the years). I’ve only span mine once and that was in a couple of cm of snow. But yes, it can be very snappy. Wide rear tyres and a short wheel base can catch out people in the wrong conditions. When it goes big time it’s very difficult to regain...Probably the reason why so many have been written off. You do learn it’s limits though. During the summer months it’s brilliant, so much fun. At the end of the day only a select few have any driver aids (optional extra). Try one.

For sure. But there’s being a good driver and there’s snapping so fast that a robot couldn’t catch it.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I much preferred the drive of my 02 S2000 to the 04 plate facelift I had. The 04 always felt floaty and soft, had no confidence in that one compared to the 02 which I caned the hell out of :)

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I much preferred the drive of my 02 S2000 to the 04 plate facelift I had. The 04 always felt floaty and soft, had no confidence in that one compared to the 02 which I caned the hell out of :)

Did you get the geo looked at? A lot of cars left the factory incorrectly setup.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it was setup ok, just always felt like the front end was going to lift off the ground and throw me into the nearest hedge ;)

The 02 plate just felt a lot more planted, did 20k a year in that one driving in all conditions, and it only really tried to kill me the once ;).

I loved that car, when I bought the 04 about 5 years after I’d sold the 02 it was a bit of an impulse buy, was a good price and a local, but never really gelled with it. Did less than 200 miles in a year in it, just sat in the garage most of the time!

Plus I got old in that time.

Did look lovely though :)

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Yeah it was setup ok, just always felt like the front end was going to lift off the ground and throw me into the nearest hedge ;)

The 02 plate just felt a lot more planted, did 20k a year in that one driving in all conditions, and it only really tried to kill me the once ;).

I loved that car, when I bought the 04 about 5 years after I’d sold the 02 it was a bit of an impulse buy, was a good price and a local, but never really gelled with it. Did less than 200 miles in a year in it, just sat in the garage most of the time!

Did look lovely though :)

Mine was the same, until I took it to Center Gravity for a full setup. Amazing how many cars they classed as dangerous straight from the production line. No two cars were ever the same.

I drove a 02. The vtec engagement was so much more prominent. I think they tried to smooth out the power curve in the later cars as too many hero’s were writing them off mid corner while hitting vtec lol.

Its well known there are no performance gains from changing a exhaust on the m lites.
The original system is over 3" and i cant help but feel it will be more efficient than the Remus that splits into two smaller pipes.
But you cant argue with the sound of it.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Also if you want performance just get it mapped for more boost.

There is a stage 1 map for like £500 or something that will get you to 440bhp with to “hardware” mods.

You get a touch more with a performance exhaust.

Look up dervtech tuning on facebook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Its well known there are no performance gains from changing a exhaust on the m lites.
The original system is over 3" and i cant help but feel it will be more efficient than the Remus that splits into two smaller pipes.
But you cant argue with the sound of it.

That explains it. I meant to put something on the video about how the exhaust was worth it for the noise alone...it is, very much.

As for power, as it is I'm not looking for more. Once I've got the LSD fitted, I've had it on track, and it's out of warranty, then KB4 or something similar might happen.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
That explains it. I meant to put something on the video about how the exhaust was worth it for the noise alone...it is, very much.

As for power, as it is I'm not looking for more. Once I've got the LSD fitted, I've had it on track, and it's out of warranty, then KB4 or something similar might happen.

Agree totally. I don’t see the need for more power. Mine still feels really fast.

But I guess in a year or 2 I might feel different. Definitely look at dervtech or something similar. The plug in JB4 was all that was available for a while but they are crap in comparison and there is no price difference.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
The weather and roads recently have been interesting, never threatening but very entertaining. It's so loose! With every mile I'm more happy in this than I ever was in the RS.

Doing a trackday might undo a little of that but I expect the diff to then give it back and then some.

Toureg vW Transporte
@MarkCup great vid. Has your exhaust got rattling yet. I’m on a 67 plate and the lh box rattles on cold start up. It disappears then, but it’s pretty noisy. I’m presuming it’s a flap inside

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
@MarkCup great vid. Has your exhaust got rattling yet. I’m on a 67 plate and the lh box rattles on cold start up. It disappears then, but it’s pretty noisy. I’m presuming it’s a flap inside

That’s interesting RE the rattling back box. A neighbour of mine said to watch out for it. He is a mechanic and a BMW fanboy. He said that he knows a number of people that have taken them back in warranty for this. It’s a common fault and if you negotiate well you can get the M performance back box as a replacement.

Toureg vW Transporte
Thanks david. I’ll take it back it. It’s only highlighted in the last 500 miles but sounds like a load of change loose in the rear silencer ??

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I've heard this a lot, but not from my car which has been fine, no issues.

That’s interesting RE the rattling back box. A neighbour of mine said to watch out for it. He is a mechanic and a BMW fanboy. He said that he knows a number of people that have taken them back in warranty for this. It’s a common fault and if you negotiate well you can get the M performance back box as a replacement.

I've heard the decision on the M Performance exhaust comes down the the dealership, it's not BMW funding it. As such it's a bit of a rarity from what I've seen.

Not that it would benefit me...I don't believe the M Performance exhaust is warranty approved with manual gearboxes like it is with the automatic. That's something to do with how much higher the manual revs in top gear so I'm told.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Comfort entry - Window goes down so you have better movement to get in your car. So, you're parked in a space with your big ol' door and think shite, "I'm gonna struggle getting in" believe it or not the window makes a massive difference because it actually curves towards the car.

Manual box - I thought you were told this was the best option?

Heated seat - Welcome to a half decent brand.

Exhaust rattle - If your dealer checks it they will just replace the back box with another standard one. The M Performance exhaust wasn't as common as people make out. Had mine replaced under warranty

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It's odd that you can't lock the dual zone, you can in mine/most BMWs I've seen.

Re the 'box, as much as I love a manual, having driven the ZF8 in the 135/140 I'd struggle not to spec one with it.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I was behind my preferred new steed the other day, M140i, mineral grey, red interior, auto, mapped. The way it wiggles on even part throttle from the rear made me giggle. Next Jan can't come quick enough!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Comfort entry - Window goes down so you have better movement to get in your car. So, you're parked in a space with your big ol' door and think shite, "I'm gonna struggle getting in" believe it or not the window makes a massive difference because it actually curves towards the car.

Manual box - I thought you were told this was the best option?

Heated seat - Welcome to a half decent brand.

Exhaust rattle - If your dealer checks it they will just replace the back box with another standard one. The M Performance exhaust wasn't as common as people make out. Had mine replaced under warranty

I wasn't told the 'box was good, I was warned it was a bit not good. Still, I had to have it, using my left leg and left arm while driving to stir cogs is as integral to the experience as pressing the accelerator and brake pedal is for me.

It's odd that you can't lock the dual zone, you can in mine/most BMWs I've seen.

Re the 'box, as much as I love a manual, having driven the ZF8 in the 135/140 I'd struggle not to spec one with it.

I've seen others have an "ALL" button. They seem to have sc rimped a bit on the 1. NNot that it's a realy problem, I just thought it really odd!

I was behind my preferred new steed the other day, M140i, mineral grey, red interior, auto, mapped. The way it wiggles on even part throttle from the rear made me giggle. Next Jan can't come quick enough!

They are soooo much fun to give a little squirt to here and there! Below is a little tame. I was trying to measure up against Jeff in his M4 but a 100 kg passenger in the back of mine with an open diff meant I'd never measure up to his angles. He has a monumental pair of balls.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I lol’d at the tags. You’re such an insta-whore!

I really love the 140s. Such a good package, I enjoyed my go in Regs car and the exhaust makes it feel a lot more fruity, but I’d go for the manual every time (if they still made them!)

It does feel like a shame BMW don’t do a small, practical and fast manual anymore.

Suzuki Jimny

Older m3’s like mine don’t have a sync either, does my head in ?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Just a quick one was all I had time for this weekend, still loving every single thing about this car ( apart from everyone, well 99% of everyone, telling me that I should have bought an automatic) and it's going to get a whole load better in about 8 weeks' time.

terryc101

ClioSport Club Member
Because I never park anywhere where space is an issue I had no idea what it was until I asked the question on my last video.

Simple but surprisingly effective!

Yeah I only realised when I pushed the key twice thinking I hadn’t unlocked it. Also catching your ribs/armpit etc on the corner of the window f**king kills so it’s needed.