ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's BMW M140i

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
My god I really REALLY want to press the button and get a late M135i LCI or M140i but can't do it atm, also considering an F30 Touring 330i or a 340i but the later is abit more than I want to spend monthly. I need to stop looking at them as I have a little one coming in the new year so should probably keep my monies free for them :)

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Prices a dropping so fast on these !! Bargains are about you would be pissed if you had bought one new !!
Lots of crashed or cat? Ones about thou.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Prices a dropping so fast on these !! Bargains are about you would be pissed if you had bought one new !!
Lots of crashed or cat? Ones about thou.

Thing is, you could get 20-23% off these things new if you simply went on BabyBMW or Pistonheads, so its not surprising the 2nd values have taken a pounding!

If you paid retail, you're pretty much a numpty. This whole thing acts as a reminder to always research a purchase thoroughly ?

Plenty of CAT cars about, but i think that is also because Autotrader now highlights all the shonky ones.

They are easy to avoid if you set your postcode search to avoid Birmingham or Bradford ?

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
is the rear leg room ridiculously poor on these. I sat in the back of a 5 door E82 version once and I struggled even with my little legs.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Just noticed there’s a grey 14 plate M135i on cutters for sale for £12.5k. It’s on 117k but appears well equipped and has had an exhaust and remap.

Just noticed there’s a grey 14 plate M135i on cutters for sale for £12.5k. It’s on 117k but appears well equipped and has had an exhaust and remap.
Looks decent that and is local to me. Think it would be tough punting that on with that many miles though. I'd prefer a lower mileage pre facelift if in the market.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
is the rear leg room ridiculously poor on these. I sat in the back of a 5 door E82 version once and I struggled even with my little legs.

No. It’s not as good as a 3 series obviously but if you’re (or more importantly your passengers are) familiar with the rear of a hatchback then it’s more than acceptable for 4 adults.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I was pleasantly surprised with the room in the back of my 3door, it is as if it is designed as a 5 door and converted to a 3 door and not the other way around, if that makes sense! Although my mountain bike, with wheels off, takes up the whole back of the car

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I can sit behind myself comfortably enough. Access is a complete PITA, maybe slightly easier than my ST but only just. Space is good though.

I had a bit of an epiphany this week, I get RWD now. Why people say it's a pure driving experience, it makes sense. Being pushed from behind gives options and just feels so right, it's ace. I can't wait to get this thing on track.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Another convert.
I hope to never drive FWD again, such a waste of potential fun.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Another convert.
I hope to never drive FWD again, such a waste of potential fun.

This is sort of where I am right now. I plan to swap cars with my Fiesta ST owning mate in the New Year, after a few months and many miles in this it'll be interesting to see if the ST still makes me fizz. I think/hope it will.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I would tend to agree, its all about setup in FWD.

For it to be fun, you NEED the option for lift off oversteer, i.e. the ability to steer on the throttle. Without that, on a trackday for example, when you really get to explore the limits, it can only be about lap times, which, unless you're racing, isnt necessarily the point. RWD naturally offers the throttle adjustability straight away, but only if you have the appropriate level of power, and/or cr4p rear tyres.

There is however, something incredibly amusing about FWD when you pitch it in, lift, the rear swings round, then you quite simply bury the throttle and let the car pull it self through, especially with an LSD. Understeer is what kills fun in FWD cars, but then, you either learn to drive around it, or set the car up properly in the first place. Many people on here, like myself & @Martin. have RWD & FWD, there is a place in the fun scale for both types imho.

In all seriousness @MarkCup, after i gave my M135i back, i owned an e46 M3, then an e90 M3, then the 981 Boxster S.

Bugger me, you'd think you were in heaven if you drove any of those.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
my first car was RWD (2 litre, 4 gears and absolutely no driver aids other than a steering wheel), my 17 year old self can confirm they are much fun.

Think I've had 8 different RWD cars since most of which were nothing special but all still had the ability to give RWD entertainment.

Never owned a decent RWD motor (don't count the i3 as RWD as it had more aids than Africa) but it's something that is defo on the horizon. First port of call would be a skid pan day to learn the limits and be able to control it on the limit.

As mentioned above FWD there is always a get out of planting the throttle if it gets to far out of shape on track, the worry with RWD is you don't really get that.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
@MarkCup just an observation but are you not a little concerned of any downsides to posting videos online of you sliding the car around a roundabout, while there's of traffic on the road.

it doesn't bother me, but personally wouldn't do it. Then again I don't watch too many self made car related videos, so I'm not sure how commonplace it is to see.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Rwd is good fun until one day it catches you out and it all ends in tears before bedtime! That is only if you are not as capable as Colin McRae was, like everyone on here seems to be ??

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
RWD FTW. Davo unless you are a complete tard rwd will not "catch you out".

Although a decent FWD is still fun, like the mini I have.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Yes and no I would say .

I stuffed my MR2 track car in to some tyres when I got court out with some snap oversteer but now fide it fun learning all the RWD traits .

Rwd is good fun until one day it catches you out and it all ends in tears before bedtime! That is only if you are not as capable as Colin McRae was, like everyone on here seems to be ??

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
RWD is great when you have a track to play with. Love chucking the Mazda about and wouldn’t want to go FWD again in that regard. When it’s a cold greasy road on a Sunday morning though, I know what I’d rather have.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Best part is a lot of them couldn't hold a decent slide if their life depended on it [emoji23]

Bit of opposite lock out a junction does not maketh drift King

FLOL so true !

Remember having a bit of a play with a bmw few years ago going down dual carriageway to roundabout roads were a bit damp I went round roundabout fine chasing bmw lost back end and struggled his tits off to hold it inline ?
Saw him in the mirror arse must of been twitching like a rabbit's nose!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Let see how they all get on when this winter really kicks in and i'm sailing past them all in a Skoda sporting a vagina with a massive wide on!

FLOL they won't go out if it snows won't get of there drive !

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
You'd think that every owner of a RWD car was broadside around every roundabout on their way to work every morning the way they talk about how much better it is lol.

Haha!! I can safely say that in the past 3 years, i've been sideways in RWD once.

Needless to say, being that i was in the Porsche at the time, with its fairly high limits, i completely cr4pped myself ?

FWD, on track? All the flipping time ?