ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowered my own torsion bar today

Well after much umming and arring I finally went for it today and I have to say it was a piece of cake.

My torsion bars came out relatively easy, just needed a bit of persuasion and some WD40. Interestingly my car seemed different to other 1.4s I have read about. People often quote things like "jack the trailing arm so until the torsion bar rotates 1 notch"

Well on my car there was no way of knowing what 1 notch was so I just measured and re-measured. I went for what I thought equated to a 35mm drop but when I put everything back together and dropped the car down to the ground WOW :eek: The rear wheels are now tucked well inside the arches which is lower than I wanted but it looks so cool that I am leaving it like that. (It is easy to put back as I had a go already ) I know my standard rear shocks will break very quickly but that just gives me an excuse to buy uprated ones.

Hardest bit was deciding whether to have tea or coffee afterwards.

Seriously though I would like to thank Weight and P Carr without whom I would never have got the balls to do it. Weight photo guide was especially useful.

Total saving? - Well Halfords wanted £150 and Prima wanted £220 so I am understandably chuffed. I would certainly recommend considering having a go yourself before shelling out for someone else to do it.

I didnt bother taking any whilst I was doing it coz there have been so many (better) guides done already.

As soon as I have the new front suspension fitted (tomorrow) I will get some pics up.

Thats a good price. Even then though it was an easy job and I cant help but feel that companies like to make it sounder harder than it is in order to justify a high price for the job.

going to need to lower mine again soon so would be very interested in seeing the guide and any advice u were given as could save me a fair bit. also means i can play about with how much its lowered. payed to get it done the 1st time and dont really want to have to apy again!!!

u need a special tool dont u? how much it cost?

cheers in advance

Pete

Cheers mate and thanks again for that guide without it I would have been lost. We really should get an FAQ section or something setup on this site dont you think? Maybe even make it members only try and tempt new people to join ;)

For reference you need an M10 nut and bolt - £1.19 from Halfords and I used a 27mm socket which must be 1/2" drive - cost about £4 from Halfords.

Can be tricky jacking the back up and getting it on stands. I used the base of the trailing arm for the jack and then put the stands under the factory jacking points. I also sprayed WD40 in the ends of the torsion bars a couple of weeks before hand this might have helped a bit too.