ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Living With a loud exhaust..?

mx5
Looking to get an exhaust fitted to my clio, thing is though, its my first car and ive never had/driven a car with a louder exhaust on it.

Obviously when booting it, it'll sound much louder, but like day to day driving, is it annoying? Eg in traffic

I recently fitted an induction kit to my car and am loving the extra noise of that, so will it just be like the next step up from that?

Was wondering if those of you who have had exhausts on your car could let me know what to expect. Its not going to be ridiculously loud, but not quiet either. I know that the sound varies from exhaust to exhaust but am just after general advice

Cheers

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I hated lol

Was epic when in the mood, but just pissed me off so much on normal trips or if you where taking people who don't have any interest in cars out on a trip.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Oh try driving one hungover. It's like being stabbed in the brain.

Za**** & Xr250R
I have a yozza fitted and tbh you do get used to it i hated it at first but it will grow on you, i only really notice it now when i give it the bean's lol

mx5
Tbh most of the time im driving the roads are pretty clear (on the way to and from school etc + social) but theres one strech which is always pretty stop start. Being a pretty slow car i basically rag it everywhere once its warmed up loll

The more i think about it the more i want one, the only realy negative is that my dad sometimes drives my car and im doubt he will be up for it, ill have a chat with him later tho.

Can you get exhaust which arent that loud except on full throttle? ie sound kinda normal when in traffic etc, but noticably loud when you put your foot down?

It gets abit much on a 12 miles journey to work, i cant imagine what its going to be like when i go the 'ring next week :)

These FTW
untitled.gif

i think most of these guys are talking about their 2 litre engines, which are definitely noisy once decatted and fitted with a sports exhaust. which is the engine in your Dynamique? the principles may be the same but it might not be quite as noisy in comparison (?).

generally, it'll probably be a good idea to retain the cat and fit a system with at least two silencer boxes - it shouldn't be disastrously noisy.

F56 MINI Cooper S
wat induction kit have you got fitted? is it a nice sound when starting it up or not much difference?

Williams
I hated lol

Was epic when in the mood, but just pissed me off so much on normal trips or if you where taking people who don't have any interest in cars out on a trip.

Totally agree! Its almost embaracing if you have to drive people around who don't apreciate cars. (But thats a on 2l Williams, full stanless & with a decat).

Sounds fcuking nuts when you're booting it though!

J03

MX5 1.8
AWFUL!! i had a peco bore exhaust on my old 1.2 clio.. its hurrendous.. (it was fitted before when i bought it) constant drumming noise on the motorway.. you have to put the music twice as loud.. banging music + loud exhaust + blacked out car = chav city.. its alright now and then.. but when ya wana have a relaxing drive or be able to hear what people are talking then dont bother..

320d
It wouldn't bother me if I had a loud exhaust. However I won't put one on my 1.2 because its all noise no go tbh. If I had a sporty car then yes, but on a shopping trolley with a small engine no. All imo of course.

alien green rs133
i manage to live with my LOUD exhaust, some times i just wish i could turn it off, dont regret it being loud one bit though

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mn8UiwHPruI&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mn8UiwHPruI&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

mines the 8 valve one though

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
if i could go back to my 1.2 i wouldnt have the loud exhaust id keep the standard one.

if standard 172 exhausts were better quality id 90% probably have kept it!

Family Bus
I have had 3 loud cars, the clio being the best sounding.

I think you have to get the right balance, too loud and it's just frigging annoying, if it's a 'chav mod' exhaust I don't really see the point

With the clio, the engine sound, plus the noise from the exhaust/decat was simply immense and completely doable.

As said, strike a balance, try and get a custom build exhaust, then you can clearly define how loud you want it to be.

M2 Competition
Ragging the ass off a 1.2 around town it'll sound awful. Absolutely awful.

On a faster car its acceptable, but it has to be something special or a track car for you to not look like a tool with a loud exhaust.

vauxhall corsa vxr
i had 5inch flame cut on my fiesta and i loved it then i hated it so when on holiday i used too miss it and then id come home and start driving it again loved it then hated, its a vicious cycle mate but i wouldnt do it to mine again

I got a more 'subtle' one, so when driving you can still hear it but it's not too loud. When flooring it it sounds mint :D

[YOUTUBE]oSKYtrGz9yc[/YOUTUBE]

mx5
yea thats pretty much what im after sound wise, sounds good mate.

whats it like on motorways? is it a cat-back?

ta

Yep it's a cat-back mate, got it made at Prospeed so I could choose any sound/look I wanted (it's a 1.2 btw :rasp:)

On motorways you can certainly hear it, but you can hear yourself speaking easily, there's also a point where I can put the accelerator and it's completely silent (which is weird! Not supposed to do that but I'm not complaining!)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
K-tec stealth .. de-catted.

It's pretty noisy when idling and cold. When floored it sounds loud .. and under load, around 3k it can get a bit much, reverb'ing around the cabin and such...

but when not on load, i.e: at 70 on the motorway, it's almost unnoticeable !

You get used to the noise after a while. I've got a backbox on my 1.2, it's pretty loud due to the fact the 2004> 1.2s came with straight through centre sections and the backbox I have is half the height of a standard one. I don't mind it all, love the noise when flooring it. Plenty of time do be quiet and sensible when I'm old tbh ;).

mx5
mines 2001 so wont have that

I think i might just get a custom stealth back box made up by top gear, think that would be plenty loud enough for me tbh

320d
K-tec stealth .. de-catted.

It's pretty noisy when idling and cold. When floored it sounds loud .. and under load, around 3k it can get a bit much, reverb'ing around the cabin and such...

but when not on load, i.e: at 70 on the motorway, it's almost unnoticeable !

Thats 100% True. A member on here took me out in his 172 cup with ktec stealth and it was realy quiet driving normally and when he booted it it sounded epic.

When I make the jump to a 172 stealth with decat is top on my purchase list.

Ph1 Williams No: 112
I had the same doubts when thinking of buying one for my Mk1 1.2 and as has been previously said, when on long motorway drives, with people who dont like cars, trying to talk when going above 60mph does get very annoying.

But hey, first car.. got to try all these mods out so when the 2nd car comes you know exactly what to do to make the perfect car ;)

BMW M135i
The magnex I had on my 172 was a loud as i'd want to go, loudness isn't really the issue imo its more how much it drones at cruising speed imo.

The milltek on the 225 is only a gnats bollock louder at 70 than the standard one was which is nice.