ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kit's Ph1 172

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Fitted the induction kit!!!
11230716_10153594960424756_1093710193339004688_n_zpsku5u0lc3.gif

11800200_10153594960419756_5597405479571938657_n_zpsobfgnett.gif

Slightly different set-up to the Fatty's one for a Ph1, mainly as I didn't order a second ally joiner so I couldn't attach the second 90deg ben. I have one now so I am tempted to put it by the battery. Not as loud as people made out, or that could just be my lack of hearing and the extra added noise from no interior. But does give a nice roar when you give it a boot full!!!

Front bumper on the way!! So re-painted my fog light ducts as they got a bit peppered from grit/road debris. They look a lot smarter now.

Mec 350 slk manual
There is a black thread adjuster at the end with a spring clip try moving it back and put the clip back in where it goes in to the tb

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Slight tweet to the induction kit set up
IMG_1211_zpscoa6vpuw.jpg

Need to dig out a a small piece of rubber to stop the hose rubbing

Will do the throttle cable this weekend as then I can get help with it if it goes wrong!

robbie514566

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, BMW 120i
Looks good ! I did exactly the same thing with the silicone hoses and air filter when I cleaned up the engine bay last week
I found it did make quite a difference too the sound compared to what it did before though

Ahhh another ph1 nearish reading! progress looks good!

i did my throttle cable as soon as i got it, taped the new cable to the old cable, pulled the cable from the drivers side arch while wiggling the new cable through, then its simply connect at both ends

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Managed to find a mint front bumper for sale so I bought it, thanks @Stu. (great seller).
I was home less than 10mins before I went out to fit it, and within 30mins it was fitted. Looks so much better than the previous one with all bad bits of paint on it, or not on it!!
New bumper:
IMG_1213_zpsmynqeerz.jpg

Bumper off:
IMG_1212_zps50qd7a9p.jpg

Bumper on:
IMG_1216_zpsk2dqrlzm.jpg

IMG_1215_zpsmepqh9s1.gif

Gave the "brake ducts" (they aren't connected lol) a coat of paint as they were a bit peppered from road crap.
Can't believe the difference it made.
Just need to sort the roof and bonnet out - they both have water marks burnt into the lacquer. Tempted to source an ally bonnet and look at doing the most heinous thing and wrap the roof in black. I do want a black roof.

So the plan has sort of changed. I am going to get a second car (less than £1k, cheap to run and insure and can get my bike in the boot; thinking a silver Renault Sceinc and painting the mirrors orange) for a daily drive and then take this off the road for a year/6 months to tinker with and then track it again in the summer. So the expensive things like coil overs will wait, but they wont be needed until next summer. So going to concentrate on making it look smart and the small niggly things that have developed and get it back to how it should be.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Serviced the car, aka chainged the oil and filter.
IMG_1250_zpsgyzxvxwy.jpg

Glad I bought a new sumnp plug as this is what happened to the old one...whoops!!
IMG_1253_zps3e20fhoy.jpg

Also removed some rocks from the under tray, not sure where they came from. They dont fit in the palm of my hand, so some serious weight saving!
IMG_1252_zpsandz2bse.gif

Thinking of replacing the under tray thing, it is looking a little worn
IMG_1251_zpsqybcumam.gif

Also managed to finish my door strips. Sprayed satin black and then painted the lettering orange. Looks quite smart tbh
IMG_1249_zpshnyqm1fn.jpg

IMG_1248_zpsgmemhdj7.gif

Have also picked up this as a daily drive (please don't hate me the Ph1 police!), however have to wait until middle of September to use it as a daily as the insurance has been a nightmare. Going to take the Ph1 off the road for the winter and do a few jobs. Aim to sort out the chassis and suspension this time and then next year play about with the engine and power.
IMG_1247_zpsy8plz0mi.jpg

106 xsi s1 Clio 172
I must sound like a massive stalker but I'm honestly not I cycle past at least 3 times a week lol noticed the new dailey last week looks really clean ?

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
It isn't a big village so I am bound to be spotted!!
The 172 is going back to the parent's in September for some TLC over the winter/ Not really driven the new one as I only have temp insurance until Wednesday ont he new one and I took the 172 home this weekend to do an oil change. But I have to take it back tomorrow so it is off the road until then, so tomorrow is the first time I will have a chance at a proper drive.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Had a bit of injector fail and running on 3 cylinders last week after I left it for a week in the rain. Somehow sorted it self out but the EML stayed on, so got the codes read. There were two faults: "Injector Circuit Open Cylinder 1" and "Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire".
IMG_1341_zpszqtem3db.gif

IMG_1342_zpsp6ekhdgy.gif

But a bit of a drive later (about 100miles, whoops) the EML turned off, this was actually before I got the codes read. So I have cleared the codes and waiting to see if it does this again after a period of being sat in the rain. The cat even got in on the action in car diagnostics
IMG_1337_zpsaxn8ries.jpg

Started to take the roof lining out, and for such a waffer thing piece of material it doesn't half make a difference on the sound! I was shocked. But I dont care it is louder, it is now a track slag #BecauseRaceCar. Just need to source a heat gun to remove the glue and that, hopefully Sunday's job.
So the 172 has been swapped for the 1.4 and it is currently sat on my dad's drive. Got a few jobs linned up for the winter. I want to give the car back its edge which I think it has lost in 14 years and 166k miles!
So the jobs include:
* Braided brake lines
* Solid engine mounts
* Fit the solid dog bone mount I have
* Coil overs
* Rear ARB
* Various poly bushing when I get around to it
* and paint the interior + other exterior jobs.
I think all this is reasonable to get done over the winter. So I am going to start collecting parts when I find them/have the money and then when I can get some help from my brother fit what we can in the available time. Then come the summer I will go to some track days as I havent really done a proper one in years, despite owning a stripped out track car.
Next year I will probably waste my money on power hunting.......

But first is the Forge Action Day at Coombe this Saturday, and all I want to do is have fun and not let my step dad pass in his MX5! He is a better driver than me and I am always a bit cautious on track, especially Coombe as you do get some right units who think they are heros.

IMG_1344_zpsitpxgbdw.jpg

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
So I did the Forge Action day on the weekend. It's been 2 years since I was last on track so was a little nervous. I am a "sensible" track driver as I back off for corners and let quite a few people past to calm the nerves.
It was a really good day! Have missed abusing cars on the track. Went out with my step dad in his MX5 and his work colleage in a 200 SX. Step dad had a bit of a nightmare as his MX5 was a bit hesitant and wouldnt rev above 4k, then randomly worked at the end of the session!
The cars I went with. The kid with the Seat wouldn't go out on track and spectated, but somehow missed us. Like is my car not obvious with bright orange wheels??!?
IMG_1357_zpsqrvgpfsw.jpg

Spending hours in the queue to go out!
IMG_1360_zpsq5sd6yvz.jpg

IMG_1361_zpskpthftzp.jpg

Was gutted my camera didn't work, I think it ran out of charge over night after I set it up :( But this is the view I was expecting!
IMG_1356_zpsqjfhbgno.png

Clio felt really positive all the way around, would like to have a bit more oomph out of Camp around Folly. Through the corners there was understeer, but I think this confirms what I am planning on doing to the car over the winter anyway - chassis upgrades to give the car back it's edge.
Car is now on SORN so I have to make the most of it! I may book a track day in the sping to give me a dead line to get the car ready!!!!
Now the updates on this will be "look what I have bought" and "oooh new parts fitted".

Your plans sound good bud! thought you got yourself a dci then we would of be daily friends also!

yep book that track day! I'm on a mission with mine, I think it s because I'm very impatient but it really helps keep the project moving forward haha

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Your plans sound good bud! thought you got yourself a dci then we would of be daily friends also!

yep book that track day! I'm on a mission with mine, I think it s because I'm very impatient but it really helps keep the project moving forward haha
Thanks!! I want braided brake lines and most of the interior painted by the end of November. Then coil overs done by February, and then engine mounts I may take it to a garage to do when it is legal again. I can only work on the car at the weekends as it is not with me and I will have to see my girlfriend some weekends as she lives up in deepest darkest North Wales, but hopefully my plan comes together by Mapril/May! Will give me some time to source funds to buy parts as I go and then fit when I get the chance.But I wont get a chance to do anything to it until mid October as I have a work trip the the States which will take out two weekends at the end of the month plus other life things getting in the way, being an adult sucks. May have to take a few days off work to get it started, but luckily I have now gone onto a 9 day fortnight so get long weekends every other week, but the girlfriend has alread marked those for "time together" and she hates the 172, and I mean hates it, she would rather walk than get a lift in it.
My daily is a 1.4 petrol, a dci would have been nice, but I wasn't fussy with what it was, just so happens to be another silver Clio!
Not sure what track day to book, could be tempted with Llandow as I know the Clio goes wella round there!

Last edited:
Yeah that sounds good, and that's unlucky mine lives just down the road.. shame, I'm sure she won't mind being 2nd to the car! Skype had come on along way ;)

around Feb time there's a clio track day from another clio Facebook forum although might be too soon

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Some "updates"...aka it was my birthday yesterday and I was a very lucky boy and got some nice goodies:
Bradied brake lines
IMG_1502_zpswrugljck.jpg

Aero Cannards, #BecauseRaceCar. These will definately add 3.647bhp
IMG_1501_zpsmv9bcmut.jpg

Next weekend is set aside for working on the car, aim to get the canards fitted and strip it out for painting. Brake lines will have to wait a few weeks.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Have not solved the leaky car problem :rage: first time I've seen the car in a month and the drivers foot we'll had some water in, not as bad as I was expecting so my clearing out of the wiper scuttle drain points sort of worked! Might need to do it again.

I've just started it up, seems to be fine. Dad has been starting it up occasionally. But it was just hunting for revs idling, now it is fine day at about 750rpm on idle.

Got stuff ready to remove the tar sound deadening and the interior to get ready to paint, aka I bought a heat gun :tongueout: still need to decide what colour for the inside. Thinking dark grey, but a satin or gloss finish??

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
That is true, I can leave the car in a state at the end of the day. The new one is doing me well thanks!!!

I initially thought satin, but a few people have talked me around to a gloss finish, although realistically I have another week before I am ready to paint, this weekend is prep work.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Some actual progress!!
First thing was to fit the new LED side light bulbs, thanks to my brother for these! I like them. Also fitted them in the interior lights too.
IMG_1529_zpsy9rstnij.gif

IMG_1530_zpsdtqykpib.gif

Then I set about stripping the car even more. Like so:
IMG_1511_zpsvrwoy5uo.jpg

IMG_1519_zpspockuzrm.jpg

IMG_1517_zps8l5as9o6.jpg

All the stuff on the drive
IMG_1518_zpsonz0tikr.jpg

Then I set about removing the tar sound deadening...all 6kg of it!! Didn't realise how much there was!
IMG_1535_zps0ronyj51.jpg

Then removed this quantity of water from inside the driver's sill.....no idea how it is getting in there or how long it has been sat in there. Hope it is all out.
IMG_1521_zps6o0zzlh8.jpg

Then I took the seat rails off and put a coat of paint on them, need to finish this off as they were still wet before I had to leave. But before painting:
IMG_1536_zps1drprqde.gif

Didn't get around to marking my canards up, but just placed them where I roughly want them. With my two physics degrees, understanding of aerodynamics I have calculated they will do naff all apart from add some cool factor though.
IMG_1528_zps5b0vr2ex.gif

And all tucked up until next weekend
IMG_1537_zpsqy4rt0pn.gif

Hopefully this will help it not get wet as still having water ingress issues, and the drivers sill full of water. But poking around the drain plugs in the wiper scuttle helped, just need to do it again
Was actaully surprised with the ammount I got done this weekend, was not expecting to finish the tar removal.
So jobs for next week is to get the interior ready for painting. So de-grease the tar patches and wash/vacuum etc prior to painting and then start!

Last edited:

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Removing the residue from the sound deadening has to be the worst job on a car I have done in years. Never doing it again.
On the plus side it's nearly done and just stopping for lunch before I vacuum and wash the insides before I start to paint.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Petrol usually does a good job of getting rid of it in my experience.

Still a messy horrible job though!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Managed to paint the roof and back quarter panels this afternoon, quite a lot done! Just need to do the floors, hopefully have enough time tomorrow as I need to take the wheels off and WD40 the brake lines to help free them up for the braided ones I'm fitting next week. Also need to mark up my canards to do them next week as my brother is helping me with this and he is only around for the day, so painting tomorrow may have to take a back seat :confused:
Pictures to come tomorrow!!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
All painting done!
IMG_1543_zpsnglr507e.gif

IMG_1544_zpsfa7imour.jpg

Few bits need a second coat, plus I need to do some parts black, like the piece surrounding the hand brake and the seat rails. I know it isn't a professional job as there are some rough edges, not all the tar stuff came off the roof. But the overall effect is good. Cables and wires are going to be put in ducting/tubes to make them neat and tidy. Need to decide what I am doing with the cables around the gear stick. Thinking of putting the hazzard and door lock switches where the radio is and make a switch plate. Door cards need to be purchased and the dash and door pillars need flocking.
And a bit of aero tweeks of the rear bumper:
IMG_1545_zpspjkj2u9o.jpg

Next week is fit the braided brake lines.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Few more things done this weekend.
Fitted my bonnet release lever, pained in red for that "race car" feel lol
IMG_1552_zpsvba5noiy.jpg

Then my brother came over and we fitted the braided brake lines and brake fluid change
IMG_1551_zpsy5wacuum.jpg

My brother does not mess around, the car was like this before I finished my cup of tea. The big puddle of water under the trolly jack is the water that was in my sill and couldn't drain....fuuuuuuuuu!!!!
IMG_1553_zpssyw4ahkc.jpg

All lines were fitted with ease. Had a bit of a fight with both fronts. The one it looked as if some goon had over tighened the union on the car and caused it to flare outwards so the new hose wouldn't go into it. And the other one wouldn't go into the caliper, aka we were being a bit to pussy to force the thread to start, just needed a little bit of extra force and it was fine. It isn't corss threaded though!!
IMG_1554_zpsyfefebzh.jpg

IMG_1556_zpsld49tghi.jpg

Then bled the system. The Eazibleed is a god send! New fluid to go in:
IMG_1557_zpsj9l32mod.jpg

Old fluid that came out:
IMG_1558_zpsgaks0bmm.jpg

Havent actually tested it as the car is still lacking seats and road legalness, but the pedal feels tonnes better! Very happy.
Then fitted my canards. Because they will obviously reduce lap times.....bit of bling really!
IMG_1559_zps9b7nvcke.gif

IMG_1560_zpserlxtf53.gif

IMG_1561_zps9oea4neu.jpg

Made the error of giving the roof a second coat of paint, now it looks gash! I may have to sand it back and start again ffs. Oh well. Interior is taking shape. Seat rails are painted. I just need to put the wires and cables that run around the inside in some ducting to tidy it up, fit the seats and get the dash etc flocked. Stuff is ready to send to Black Sheep this week.
Picking the "new" (aka second hand from Dr Jekyll) suspension up next week, hope that also brings an instand improvement. But the next on the list is sort some exterior jobs out:
* remove the aerial and get the roof in a state to paint as it is ruined
* remove the chrome from the lights to make them black
* paint all the badges black.

Annoyingly I wont have much time on the car this month as I am busy the next few weekends, so may take a day off tofinish the interior.

Last edited:

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Not been able to do much these past few weeks as I have been busy.
But I have got a nice set of coil overs and front wheel spacers from Dr Jekyll, need to get them fitted ASAP. In the process of buying a RARB and need to source some solid top mounts, so I dont have to take it all off for a second time and just do the job once.
Sent off the remainder of my interior to be flocked but only the top dash has turned up! Been in contact with Black Sheep and they said it was missed off the delivery and will be with me Tuesday. The dash looks good so hope the rest is good too.
Need to get some black plastic to make door cards, may ask Father Christmas for this if he thinks I have been good this year lol.
Fitted the seats so it now looks like a car! Such a pig of a job as what I thought were universal seat mounts my brother made only work one way and it took FOREVER to fit.

Also now have a deadline to et the car working as my step dad had just bought a Corsa B with a 2ltr red top in. Needs some work to get it working but we are going to book a track day for February. He is also going to paint his wheel orange to match my Clio! Proper team like 😂

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Was good to meet you the other day kit. Unfortunately the weather stopped us having a better chat :(

Hopefully you'll get the BC's and spacers fitted soon and love them! Loving the paint work you've done in the rear. Looks like it's come out well tbh.

Sons are supposed to look up to their fathers for inspiration, not the other way round! (Wheel colour choice)

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I know, weather was awful!!
I've now sorted a RARB so just need top mounts, only so I have one job instead of two. Sure they will be loved!
Thanks, looks better now that I have tidyed up the cables and put the seats back in.
He liked the colour so much he even bought a Focus ST in the same colour

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Not too much happened this weekend.
Some more of my interior came back from being flocked...more items were missed off the delivery ffs. But what has arrived looks smart.
I know I need to sort out door cards, will ask for some material to make them fro Christmas and then get them sorted before the new year.I will get pictures of the interor when it is all done, but it is looking smart
Oh and made my lights black because it looks full bitchin'
IMG_1599_zpsvi95naig.jpg

IMG_1598_zpso7rmijip.jpg

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Few things have turned up to be fitted -
PMS RARB. This will be done in the new year when I buy solid top mounts and for the BC coil overs.
Ally bonnet + spray mist washer jets. This is this weekend's job. Didn't realise how light the bonnet is! I nearly fell over as I put too much effort into picking it up the first time!!
If the weather permits I may re-refurb the head lights.

All the flocked stuff has now turned up, looks really smart! Although trying to get a photo of it is quite hard

Now I am in a race with my step dad to who is going to be ready first, as his Corsa is taking shape. I do have an advantage as I can start/drivemine, he is missing some engine parts so it isn't running!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks, it's slowly getting there!
Yeah, the bonnet is ridiculous! I was really shocked, glad I have got one now.
Well the flocked parts were a bit of a mission....three deliveries sent out for one order and one went missing. Annoyingly it's a good product, just the delivery service was gash.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
At least it's getting sorted. Just annoying.

I was surprised when I first held the bonnet. Where my car was being broke, there is another ph1 track car with a carbon bonnet and the ally one is lighter than that!