ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kit's Ph1 172

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Car's looking good, calliper's did cover well, bet you can't wait to get out on that track day :up:

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
It's been a while since being out on track. I did think I would do more last year so hopefully this year I will! Just can't have my step dad be quicker than me in his E36!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
start off with some bad stuff.....had a phone call from my brother the other week (the last time he called me was when my dad was rushed to hospital a few weeks before so I was sort of worrying) as his girlfriend drove into the Clio. Great. The car is at the back of a driveway 4 car lengths long. So she drove onto the drive then continued for three car lengths before hitting mine. How we are not sure. If it wasn't my car she would have hit the house (rather my car than the house). My brother had a look when it happened but was at night so not good light, but said there was no vsible damage and that all the boot shut lines and bumper was all even. No cracked bumper or anything. Got a chance to look at it in the daylight yesterday (wasn't going to rush over when it happened as there was no damaged bumper or any visible damage). Turns out she moved the car quite far as you could see the tyre marks on the drive. Pretty sure it was where my index finger is and not my thumb
IMG_2814_zpsg7nhqfxy.jpg

IMG_2817_zpspomqyl0l.jpg

had a good look underneath and there is nothing I can see, shake loose or anything. The only thing is in the spare wheel well. This crease, but it is in the wrong place for a rear end impact and would think it would be a lot worse around it, seems very localised. I just can't remebe rit when I painted the insides last year. So 99.99% confident this wasn't her.
IMG_2815_zpsjpk2zd7d.jpg

But this one is also in the spare wheel well below the boot lock, so in line where she hit it, but not 100% sure it was caused by the impact as there is a gap behind the bumper and the spare wheel well. It was worse but my brother pushed it out to what it is in the picture below.
IMG_2816_zpsywtmv2vr.jpg

All in I think I am very lucky. But rooting about in the car has made me realise how dirty the insides have got, need to give it a good wipe over when I put it back on the road.

So some good things happened....
Made some progress with my induction kit light. The light djuster was broken and I couldn't figure out how to get it to work and I couldn't find anything to fix it with. Then somone on the FB group said they solved their broken one with a BMW E39 light adjuster. FOr £2.50 I couldn't not try it! And it works! The Germans to the rescue!!.
IMG_2813_zpsp256betw.jpg

Also cut the outer lense just needs enlarging to fit the cone trumpet thing. Working on a method to keep the side light bulb.

Arch liners are sort of back in! The O/S is done but when I bought new fixings I didn't realise the car didn't have them all to start with so ran out putting the N/S one one. Doesn't matter as the bumper is still off while the gril thing is being painted. Which the good weatehr today allowed me to get some coats on.
So all in making progress!! It will be ready for Llandow on the 1st April.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
A lot of progress happened yesterday, nearly all of the jobs are ticked off the list of things I wanted to get done.
My brother very kindly helped me sort some things out, which included gear box oil change, bleed the brakes and fit new DS2500 pads to the front.
Had all the gear box oil change ready....new copper washer, new fill plug and oil.
Never seen a little pump thing before, I thought it was a cool tool. I knew he had it, but never seen one being used. Made filling he gear box up so much easier
IMG_2845_zpssirykqc6.jpg

So only ~2.5ltrs of awful looking oil came out. And only ~2.8ltrs of fresh oil went in. Just hoping that it was due to the car not being level on the stands when filling it and that it was actually under filled - it was overflowing the fill plug so no more could go in!
Brakes were bled as the last few times I drove it the pedal would travel to the floor and if pumped they would sor of work. Thought no harm in doing them again. Turns out the fluid that came out looked very clean, it was only changed in November 2015 and hadn't done that many miles on it.
These brake pads were 1 track day old
IMG_2846_zpsumkrrtkp.jpg

They are the Brembo OEM pads. I previously had the same pads; they did ~35k miles in three years and several track days. Put the same back on and this happens at one day at Cadwell Park, plus some other driving about. Now have Ferodo DS2500 pads on the front. By christ they are fat. ME and my broither agree they are too thick (~2mm per pad each side comapred to OEM) so they are a nightmare to get in. But they are in, just eed bedding in when the car is back on the road.
Car as spent a lot of time like this in the past few months!!
IMG_2844_zpsmmje99kx.jpg

But now all back together - used new fixings to put the arch liners and bumper back on and was so much nicer than using the old ones.
IMG_2847_zps5ljcm19g.jpg

Thanks to @LeeRS for sorting out some stickers:
IMG_2843_zpsa64ix8er.jpg

Sorting outnew tyres this week, knew I should have done it so I could have fitted them yesterday/today. Hopefully this week it will be ready, just need to tax and insure it. I need to get it sorted as the daily Ocatvia VRs is now making a noise and I think it could be cam belt tensioner, and also needs new tyres! So the Clio might be needed.
Will get some pictures when the new wheels go on. But so far happy with the progress it has had this winter. Having a second car again has made it easier to do stuff. Just need to save a little more cash to justify spending on cams and an engine rebuild, hopefully May/June it will be done - the daily car needs some stuff spending on it so is going to take some of the Clio's savings.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Clio is back on the road!!
Bit of a story behind this though....
The Skoda daily driver was making a noise that sounded like a belt tensioner failing. The AUX tensioner was going mad so swapped this. That fixed that tensioner but still had this noise. Decided it was cam belt tensioner. Cam belt failed on it this morning. I was going to phone up a local garage and book it in this afternoon, oh the irony! Great :up:possibly write the car off?? Depending on what the garage says I may cut my losses, if it is under £1k to fix I may be tempted to get it fixed as it is a good solid car otherwise that has been well looked after, the interior is in tip top condition.
Mad rush to get the Clio sorted. Tyres were ordered yesterday as that was the last piece, turned up today so managed to get them fitted and on the car. Car now looks quite mean with black wheels tbh. Small subtle touch or orange still in it. When I put the wheels on I didn't take a wheel brace with me, and diodn't have a key to my brother's house to open his garage to get his, so I haven't put the orangewheel bolt caps on in these pictures.
IMG_2849_zpsw3zthjfo.jpg

IMG_2850_zpsugtqikst.jpg

IMG_2851_zpshisjcedu.jpg

Ideally wanted to wash it and clean the insides before I use it, but bit of a rush today with needing to still do 8hours work and wont have a chance until next week by being busy this weekend.
For sale are a set of 15" OZ F1s with centre caps.....need to recover some costs of the tyres and Skoda repair bill.
So I could sell the Skoda now and cut my losses on it and buy an Odessey Blue Ph1 172....

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
This is the reason I do not want to turbo my Clio:
IMG_2895_zpsmc00mekx.jpg

Got to change the engine in my Octavia vRS as this happened...its a picture of the inside of a spark plug hole looking at the piston
skodaEngine_zpswlnlrk9g.png

Yes that is a nice valve mark in it...and same with all the other three! But the engine is so damn complex with a pipe/hose/connector for anything. Just puts me off boosting the Clio personally, I don't want the hassle. It took me and my step dad a good 5 hours to undo and remove everything and we didn't get time to lift the engine out as I had to go look at one (which I bought) and pick up an S3 for my step dad (possible future car for me....). The Clio's engine would have been out by this time!

Been driving the Clio to work so at least it is getting a run about, and the engine has got a bit better since I first used it from not using it for three months, although still not 100% I think. Not sure if that is I am a bit used to the smoothness of the vRS, being paranoid or it is because it is knocking on for 174k miles and they haven't been easy. When the Skoda is back working and the two tracks days I have booked in April done I will look into investigating engine options - rebuild or source a known good one?? I think it is the last thing letting the car down, and I can't wait to get it sorted!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Having a massie nightmare with the daily vRS, engine swap not progressing as fast as I hoped and working away in the week with work is slowing the progress. But managed to get out and enjoy the Clio this weekend at Llandow. Started off with a nice clean Friday evening, did need it after the rain we had last week.
Went with my step dad in his E26 328 and my friend with his E21, which got a lot of attention! Was quicker then the E36, which is good as my step dad is a better driver than me and I was awful going though the chicane on the back straight. Didn't have a tussle with the E21. Was a good day tbh, a lot of high spec track cars there, including the Clio-prezza
IMG_2908_zps1rsstofs.jpg

IMG_2916_zpsdckefuqe.jpg

This was seconds from a big sideways moment into the bus stop!
IMG_2911_zpsa4mreh4p.jpg

IMG_2909_zpspprvmzva.jpg

IMG_2936_zpsxlycrt2e.jpg

17457434_1840275376223750_8709967731036689275_n_zpse5ujoul2.jpg

New record on the lowest MPG in the Clio too
IMG_2934_zps13etk8n6.jpg

Had a bit of a disaster when I got there - luckily my step dad was behind me on the two sighting laps and he was flashing at me all the way and pointing at me, so headed back the paddock before the green flag went. Turned out my rear left hand wheel was wobbling all over the place! Looked like the rear left nad wheel was buckled, was about to get annoyed as they are new wheels. But turns out they were not seated properly - the hub nut cap has got a small lip on which doesnt allow the wheel to sit flush, rather annoying. So just removed the cap and the wheel fitted fine. So need to sort this out really. Glad it wasn't a buckled wheel.

Few under steer moments, just got a bit right foot happy and braked too late and too much speed. Need to work on a bit more confidence really.
When I get a chance I will look through some of the videos I tok and try and post up the cleanest few laps.

Castle Combe Action Day next week. The girlfriend is coming this time, I don't think she has any idea what to expect....could be interesting!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Very little has happened recently....got m vRS working again so the Clio was given a rest. I didn't turn it on for about a month as it was at my brother's house. Wasn't expecting it to start first time and run like a bag of trash for a bit, but nope. Started first time and has been top form driving it about this week! MoT test is next week so I thought to give it a shake down for that.

Slow progress on the induction feed light unit. Mainly as fixing my vRS was my top priority then I got busy. But need to source some bulbs, bulb holders (know the ones I want) and find a suitable LED flasher unit. Then its cut the light units to hold the new indicator side light bulb combo.
I also set about refurbing the lights again as they went a bit yellow, and the fact the one with the hole in for the air feed I wont be able to do easily anymore! Used the 3M kit again, was an hour well spent as it has made the front end come back to life. Pictures don't do it justice, and the fact it was too bright!
Before:
IMG_3183_zps99jwucdh.jpg

IMG_3185_zpsyyqhqxsr.jpg

During:
IMG_3186_zps61wqqluh.jpg

Used Meguiars Headlight Protectant to stop them going yellow again, hope it does the trick.
IMG_3187_zpszpduo01m.jpg

After:
IMG_3188_zpstvusfehn.jpg

Got the Castle Combe Action Day next in July, need to book some track time for that. Would like to get to another track day this summer as well.

In other news...I am moving back out of my parent's place! Renting a coach house so that has a garage under it. Garage is bigger than a single but not a double so the Clio will perfectly fit in it and have space to work around it. Started to buy tools so now have a good collection. This means I can do some bigger jobs on it as the car can be left in pieces over night or days/weeks if needed as mother hates having "broken cars" lying about

Still on the look out for another Ph1 to have as a daily driver. Preferably an Odessey Blue one.

Last edited:

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
After 4 years of ownership the Clio finally let me down...clutch cable snapped. Middle lane of A4 (just got of M4) in London at rush hour.
Managed to push it to a lay by and left it all weekend as I was visiting my girlfriend. Just waiting for the AA now to take me home.

172 Ph1
I did mine 2 years ago so should be ok for a while yet . Bad luck your cable went where it did . I'd have waited till rush hour stopped and nursed it home "that's me" can't leave the car unattended on the side of the road , it would be stripped [emoji23]

Painful the waiting to be taken home on the AA truck . Hope it's not to long a wait for you .

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I did mine 2 years ago so should be ok for a while yet . Bad luck your cable went where it did . I'd have waited till rush hour stopped and nursed it home "that's me" can't leave the car unattended on the side of the road , it would be stripped [emoji23]
If it was on a side road then I wouldn't have left it, but being on the main road into London it was quite in sight of lots of people and that.
If it happened 3m later I would not have been able to get it into that lay by and would have been blocking the road, so it was sort of lucky.

Ok so after painicing and more worried about being abandoned I had a bit more time today to poke about it while waiting for the AA. Turns out the cable came off the gear box and didn't snap. But I am not sure why or how so something may have gone wrong. Cancelled the AA and drove home. Did about 10 gear changes as there was no traffic. Need to find out why it did it as it might happen again.but yeah, feel like a right mong for not calming down and having a proper look Friday!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
@barnesautos how easy was it to change? Similar to throttle cable? Or tie new to old and pull through? I've had the car for 40k miles and not done it. Aim for the coming 2 years is make the whole thing mechanically "new" then worry about bodywork later....

172 Ph1
@barnesautos how easy was it to change? Similar to throttle cable? Or tie new to old and pull through? I've had the car for 40k miles and not done it. Aim for the coming 2 years is make the whole thing mechanically "new" then worry about bodywork later....

IMG_6733.JPG

Yeah similar job to throttle cable.
As you cable has snapped you won't have anything to attach to now .
So when I did mine used a thin electrical wire to and attached it to the new cable .
Firstly I fed the wire through the bulkhead from the inside out and then attached it to the cable ready to pull it into the car .
That bit is tricky because when you attach the wire to the cable make sure it's as straight as can be , I used electrical tape to create that smoothness between the two.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Project Clio has came to an end. The new owner has just picked it up.

It's been an eventful 4.5 years of ownership! Time to move on.
Already bought the new car, my friend eventually tempted me with his BMW E34 535i. He just needs to put some new front shocks on it first....unless he is trying not to sell it too me and put me off! When I pick it up I will upload some pictures.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
As promised a few pictures of the new car, BMW E34 535i
IMG_3278_zps93nr72a6.jpg

And just after I have washed it this morning. Would like to polish it and put some kind of hydrophobic coating on it, like my brother has on his car.
IMG_3279_zps3tq0yw9g.jpg

IMG_3280_zpssaca6i8z.jpg

Mother thinks I am mad as I picked it up last night and off on holiday to Devon in it today.
No major plans apart from put some finishing touches to it, like there are a few frayed threads on the gear stick gaitor, needs some of the black trim re-painting, fix the headlight washers etc. Apart from that it is solid. Will be kept in clean and tidy and hopefully start to appreciate in value soon.

Who knows, if I find another Ph1 172 I may be tempted to sell the daily Octavia vRS for it........

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
That is simply, simply lovely. Red is an awesome colour for them.