ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just proof that Sky boxes kill your download speeds...

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Currently paying for Be Unlimited's 8mbps service. Did a speed test to find out i was getting 1mbps :/ unplugged the sky box from the phone line and...

515147362.png

Yes, I'm getting more than i paid for.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Sky boxes have always been plugged into a filter. Picked this tip up when calling be customer services, o2 customer services and bt. They all seem to advise this when connection speeds are low! Just had my mate do exactly the same thing. It really seems to be that sky box's are a drain on the line!

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
i thought about it and may be being a dumb f**k but how can you double filter?

A microfilter plugs into the wall socket and splits the adsl and telephone so if you plug another filter into the first, it has to go into the tel socket due to its connection, then you will have no adsl comming out of the second filter just the first?

have i missed something?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
i thought about it and may be being a dumb f**k but how can you double filter?

A microfilter plugs into the wall socket and splits the adsl and telephone so if you plug another filter into the first, it has to go into the tel socket due to its connection, then you will have no adsl comming out of the second filter just the first?

have i missed something?

Works like that

182 Trophy (216/500)
just tried mine on speedtest.net with the sky box unplugged:

516427798.png

not impressed! think i need to contact sky as my broadband is with them!

With the box plugged in (single filter):

516431992.png

Last edited:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
just tried mine on speedtest.net with the sky box unplugged:

516427798.png

not impressed! think i need to contact sky as my broadband is with them!

With the box plugged in (single filter):

516431992.png

If you're on Sky Connect (i.e through BT not LLU'd) then it's possible that you're being traffic shaped, sky have been doing this for a while apparently, I went over to my parents last week and was horrified at my dads download speed, was down to dial up speeds. Have a read of the skyuser.co.uk forums.

C

Cupster

Hmmm, will give this a try. Although, tbh, my broadband is fine as is.

Clio V6 Mk2 255
Nor me.

I might experiment though. The 'bell circuit' trick was a massive winner for me.

Agree with that as it solved my previous speed issues in my 1930's house with various extensions put in over the years :)

Mind you my current setup has the latest BT cable spec from the telegraph pole to a 1st floor window (which is where my living room is) and about 8 inches of internal cable to the master socket. My wireless router and digital phone base station (which operates 3 handsets around the house) plug into a single ADSL filter. This is about as simple and effective as you can get in terms of noise reduction and speed. Mind you I don't have sky but assume this would need to be hard-cabled.

Martin