ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I hate Sky Internet

banther

ClioSport Club Member
OK, situation as thus;

Moved into property February 2015. No fibre optic available. Went with BT. 1.5mb max speed, stable network however. No good as work from home so made the worst decision of my adult life to switch to Sky who stated we could expect speeds upto 16mb - blasting BT out of the water. Wahoo, sign me up son and stick one of those dishes up whilst you're at it.

This was late May/Early June last year. Essentially the internet hasnt worked since then. We have had now maybe 20 Advanced line test, 3 Engineer visits, 2 new routers, 8 new microfilters & countless empty promises. Our complaint has been opened and unresolved since July last year. The main issue with the internet is connection time with connections lasting typically 4/5 minutes at a time...... for nearly a year.

I am, honestly, going insane with this. Sky complaints don't know their left hand from their right - complaints on Twitter etc. not being linked to our account. Opened countless complaints now. I've emailed "Global Heads of....." etc and get referred to complaints. I've spoken with the cancellations team who are willing to offer no more than 'free cancellation' - cheers, c***s.

The latest one baffles me the most - we had an engineer come out on Friday and bam, miracle cure, 12mb connection speed maintained for 2 WHOLE DAYS. Now - internet hasnt worked at all for the last 36 hours. How can this be??!! I dont get it.

This thread has come about due to a conversation with Sky this morning when the absolute f**king genius welsh prick or "Sky Broadband Expert" at the other end asked why we didnt simply upgrade to Fibre Optic as this would resolve our issue. Idiot.

I'm also massively irked that we are still paying for this 'service'.

So - what else can we do? All providers run off the same line here so will going back to BT or trying plusnet, talktalk etc. make any difference? Are there any avenues of complaint I haven't explored? What would you do? Have you had issues with Sky internet - what happened and how was it resolved? Would buying a new router make a difference?

Most of all f**k YOU MURDOCH.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Ombudsman in terms of complaint.

They have a process that you need to follow though.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I've been with sky for 5 years. Only ever had one extended interruption.

Doesn't really help but I thought I'd provide some input lol.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I've had sky "non fibre" for 3 years. Not once had an issue and get almost 20mb down the phone line.
I'd say it's the area/line not the supplier. Isn't Gloucester notoriously one of the worst areas in the UK for interwebbings?

Clio Trophy
I am confused a bit atm, but if you were getting 1.5mb from BT i would not be expecting to get more than 1.5mb on Sky either, Sky say "UPTO" this does not mean "YOU WILL" get that speed, do you know any neighbors well enough to ask them to do a speed test and see what they get? I am on Sky and no problems what so ever, and except that this country is lagging behind some 3rd world countries that have faster access than we do

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
unless sky switched you to LLU, there is no way the BB would be faster than the BT Connection. If this is the case, they either mis-sold you, or you essentially agreed to the same broadband speed - Depends how the conversation went/was worded. There should be a call recording somewhere.

You should be able to get compensation for lack of service and the issues you have experienced, If you want to complain about sky, you need to go to OFCOM/Ombudsman if sky won't play ball.

You mention trying TalkTalk. I'm with them (cheap, innit). They are OK until you need to speak to someone. Horrific customer service skills from some of their staff, yet another day you may get a competent one. It's just something to bare in mind if you are expecting to have issues going forwards.

dk

911 GTS Cab
so you're complaining about sky, but they've offered you a free cancellation of your contract, which would enable you to go to someone else if you think sky are the idiots, yet you havent?
it sounds like you havent even tried a new router either, thats the first thing id be trying.
My parents had similar issues, it was noise on the line, do you use a landline phone, does it have any noise on the line when you use it?
Normally the slower the speed, the better it copes with interference, so while you might be able to get a much faster speed, its not reliable, so they reduce the speed until its reliable, thats why they say during the first few days the speed will go up and down, this is it finding the best balance of speed and reliability.
Sounds like either you've not found someone that is doing their job properly yet (took us 3 BT engineers to actually get one who could be bothered to investigate properly and found the issue was at the box in-between the house and the exchange, changed our connection termination point and voila, been fine since), or the problem is with the router or inside the house.

Its very frustrating, I've been there and done it, but i wouldnt have let it go on for this long personally.

I'm with sky, was originally with o2 who were BE, then o2 sold to sky, was sort of dreading it, but had no issues, and then moved to fibre, and now its just faster.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Changing isn't going to help but from a customer POV Plusnet are the best company i've ever had the pleasure of dealing with, brilliant. But they can't work miracles.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
I am confused a bit atm, but if you were getting 1.5mb from BT i would not be expecting to get more than 1.5mb on Sky either, Sky say "UPTO" this does not mean "YOU WILL" get that speed, do you know any neighbors well enough to ask them to do a speed test and see what they get? I am on Sky and no problems what so ever, and except that this country is lagging behind some 3rd world countries that have faster access than we do
I didnt expect it to be worse with a chance of it being a f**k load better. BT stated we would receive max 4mb. At the time I was used to 30/40 mbs so BT just seemed s**t. I would take that again tbh and my most likely course of action.

My neighbours are with Sky and they have 0 issues and 10mb solidly.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
@dk Phone line crackles badly.
so you're complaining about sky, but they've offered you a free cancellation of your contract, which would enable you to go to someone else if you think sky are the idiots, yet you havent?
it sounds like you havent even tried a new router either, thats the first thing id be trying.
My parents had similar issues, it was noise on the line, do you use a landline phone, does it have any noise on the line when you use it?
Normally the slower the speed, the better it copes with interference, so while you might be able to get a much faster speed, its not reliable, so they reduce the speed until its reliable, thats why they say during the first few days the speed will go up and down, this is it finding the best balance of speed and reliability.
Sounds like either you've not found someone that is doing their job properly yet (took us 3 BT engineers to actually get one who could be bothered to investigate properly and found the issue was at the box in-between the house and the exchange, changed our connection termination point and voila, been fine since), or the problem is with the router or inside the house.

Its very frustrating, I've been there and done it, but i wouldnt have let it go on for this long personally.

I'm with sky, was originally with o2 who were BE, then o2 sold to sky, was sort of dreading it, but had no issues, and then moved to fibre, and now its just faster.
Numerous new routers. Numerous other equipment if you read the OP.

Phone line terrible - cant hear people speak.

Havent tried others as only expect the same issues - what would be the point of switching? I don't care if the cancellation is free - I want compensation.

Engineer seemed knowledgeable - changed our line at the exchange 3 times. Installed new sockets throughout the house. No change. Any change noted has been short term.

I'm not at all patient with them but I just can't see how another provider tagging on the same BT line will make any difference, but I'm here to be educated. I guess I just don't want to start the whole process again.

I think course of action is switch back to BT & complain to the ombudsman.

It shouldn't affect me this much but I'm raging. Most days working from home I have to buy access to a BT FON line - such a joke.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
I've had sky "non fibre" for 3 years. Not once had an issue and get almost 20mb down the phone line.
I'd say it's the area/line not the supplier. Isn't Gloucester notoriously one of the worst areas in the UK for interwebbings?
I'm beginning to think so.

TBH its getting to the point where I want to move to a fibre area. Sad but true!

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
have you tried taking the screws out of your master phone socket, removing the faceplate and then plugging into the socket behind (the test socket)?

banther

ClioSport Club Member
have you tried taking the screws out of your master phone socket, removing the faceplate and then plugging into the socket behind (the test socket)?
The test socket? Yeah. We've even had new ones fitted. Twice.

We have been through all of the processes etc. hence new microfilters, hubs, routers etc etc.

They've run out of ideas now.

dk

911 GTS Cab
@dk Phone line crackles badly.

Numerous new routers. Numerous other equipment if you read the OP.

Phone line terrible - cant hear people speak.

Havent tried others as only expect the same issues - what would be the point of switching? I don't care if the cancellation is free - I want compensation.

Engineer seemed knowledgeable - changed our line at the exchange 3 times. Installed new sockets throughout the house. No change. Any change noted has been short term.

I'm not at all patient with them but I just can't see how another provider tagging on the same BT line will make any difference, but I'm here to be educated. I guess I just don't want to start the whole process again.

I think course of action is switch back to BT & complain to the ombudsman.

It shouldn't affect me this much but I'm raging. Most days working from home I have to buy access to a BT FON line - such a joke.
i was being sarcastic when i said to change provider ;)
You won't get compensation though, so i wouldnt even think thats going to happen.
Who is your phone line with, also sky, or BT?

Thats your best angle, sort out the crackling and interference on the line, and the internet will magically work, my parents like i said had the same problem, but if you phone up about bad broadband then they don't really care, if you can't talk to someone on the phone because you can't hear them, then they will usually try and fix it.

Like i also said, needed an engineer out that could be bothered to properly trace the problem, most of them can't be arsed because as long as they turn up and try they get paid.

Our fix was to change the connection at the box down the road, not the exchange connection. Also helps if you call them up on the landline to show how noisy it is, then they will call you back on the mobile but will have something to work with as its a noisy line.
Honestly its better to go down that route than the broadband speed thing, as theres no guaranteed speed they are offering you (i know you're getting disconnections too, thats entirely because of the noise on the line).

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
If sky are willing to disconnect you for free... you could call up another company as get a new line installed - make it clear you don't want them to take over the existing line (you want a new provide not a takeover), most companies give a free connection to a new customer.

Once you are up and running you can then cancel the surplus line with sky. Could potentially sort it?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I'd switch to Virgin if available, they will route a whole new line in. 210MB download and its very rarely down, I work from home everyday so having a fast available line is pretty crucial. I moved from Sky because they couldn't touch Virgin for performance and I was struggling working from home.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
I'd switch to Virgin if available, they will route a whole new line in. 210MB download and its very rarely down, I work from home everyday so having a fast available line is pretty crucial. I moved from Sky because they couldn't touch Virgin for performance and I was struggling working from home.
Not available mate, no fibre either.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
If sky are willing to disconnect you for free... you could call up another company as get a new line installed - make it clear you don't want them to take over the existing line (you want a new provide not a takeover), most companies give a free connection to a new customer.

Once you are up and running you can then cancel the surplus line with sky. Could potentially sort it?
I'll ask BT if they will do that.

dk

911 GTS Cab
free new connection, i doubt it, BT will charge you £150 just to reconnect an existing line!

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
I'll ask BT if they will do that.
They will for sure. Just tell them it HAS to be a "new provide" use that exact phrase. There are lots of dummies who work there, I worked there for 5 years, Albeit in the business department, but still.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
free new connection, i doubt it, BT will charge you £150 just to reconnect an existing line!

Depends on your interpretation of an existing line. If its a stopped or Working line (both of these would mean there was a dial tone when a phone is plugged in) there is categorically no charge. If there is no dial tone and it's disconnected, then although the wiring is all in place and it's usually a case of flipping a switch at the exchange/cabinet - then there is a flat rate charge for open-reach to connect the line, regardless of whether an engineer actually attends or not.

there's only a similar charge to that £150 if it's a solus phone line with no broadband attached . If taken in conjunction with a broadband package it's usually free.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Telephone line engineer came today. No faults on the line at all. I think now the hunt for the issue has been exhausted. Was here for well over an hour and went to check from the cabinet and exchange ends.

Must just be the s**t Sky equipment.

BT refused to install new line out right but doesnt seem to be an issue if theres no line fault. No internet or wifi for the last 33 hours and counting.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Can you not sod off a land line connection and get a satellite connection or even an unlimited broadband sim and tether to your 'puta?

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Can you not sod off a land line connection and get a satellite connection or even an unlimited broadband sim and tether to your 'puta?
That's what I've been doing mate as 4g is epic here!! Need a hard line as work laptops wont connect to anything but a router for security reasons.

Never heard of a satellite connection - will look into it.

Satellite connections are slow and expensive. You'd be better off with the 1.5mb you were getting with BT if it was stable.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Telephone line engineer came today. No faults on the line at all. I think now the hunt for the issue has been exhausted. Was here for well over an hour and went to check from the cabinet and exchange ends.

Must just be the s**t Sky equipment.

BT refused to install new line out right but doesnt seem to be an issue if theres no line fault. No internet or wifi for the last 33 hours and counting.
didn't you use the phone while he was there to prove how noisy it is?
is it still noisy if you remove the microfilters and router from the equation?
I can't see how if its as loud as you say it is where you can barely hear people and they say theres no fault on the line?

dk

911 GTS Cab
I was gettin 1mbps with sky.
Changed to virgin fibre and get 100mbps almost constant now.
you realise you're comparing a telephone line to a cable connection right, so thats like saying i used to use a boat to get to work and it took me several hours, now i use a car its down to 15 mins.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
didn't you use the phone while he was there to prove how noisy it is?
is it still noisy if you remove the microfilters and router from the equation?
I can't see how if its as loud as you say it is where you can barely hear people and they say theres no fault on the line?
Yep. Multiple calls in / out/ from the exchange / to the exchange / to the cabinet / from the cabinet/mobiles / landlines everything. No faults recorded despite admittance that the line was crackly. Even bought a new phone lol. To be fair when testing it was having a good moment with only a little crackling. When its bad it comes and goes in waves of about 10 seconds.

Just fed up now with the whole thing. Apparently there is someone nearby emitting large amounts of REIN (electrical interference) which could be causing the problem but that doesnt explain why the neighbours all work fine- I've given up listening to them now. They all say different things.

I'm off to live in a cave with some homemade twig friends.

Not sure satellite will be any good as massive delays in signal transmission meaning no online gaming and its bloody expensive!

Written to the ombudsman this morning - asking for a refund of all line rental & broadband. Sky aren't budging on this. Won't even give us free movies or something until the problem is sorted! Bellends.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
Wait hang on.. BT told you that they outright wouldn't put in a new line? that's b****cks mate. You probably spoke to an idiot or confused them with your explanation of the issue (or both).

Simply tell them you have a phone line with sky, but require a second line. They don't need to know the gory details..

don't listen to anyone about satellite broadband. The ping is terrible. Forget any kind of online gaming.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Yep. Multiple calls in / out/ from the exchange / to the exchange / to the cabinet / from the cabinet/mobiles / landlines everything. No faults recorded despite admittance that the line was crackly. Even bought a new phone lol. To be fair when testing it was having a good moment with only a little crackling. When its bad it comes and goes in waves of about 10 seconds.

Just fed up now with the whole thing. Apparently there is someone nearby emitting large amounts of REIN (electrical interference) which could be causing the problem but that doesnt explain why the neighbours all work fine- I've given up listening to them now. They all say different things.

I'm off to live in a cave with some homemade twig friends.

Not sure satellite will be any good as massive delays in signal transmission meaning no online gaming and its bloody expensive!

Written to the ombudsman this morning - asking for a refund of all line rental & broadband. Sky aren't budging on this. Won't even give us free movies or something until the problem is sorted! Bellends.
very frustrating I'm sure.
my parents was the same, the noise would come and go, it took 3 or 4 callouts before the guy found it. He said most people wouldnt check what he checked, but it sounds like you've had all the tests done they can.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
you realise you're comparing a telephone line to a cable connection right, so thats like saying i used to use a boat to get to work and it took me several hours, now i use a car its down to 15 mins.

Yeah but just saying. Made a massive difference.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
I know youre all dying for an update.

Ombudsman complaint in. I've written to the Global Customer Relations Director and had a neat and tidy response. Full refund incl. TV as our complaint has 'failed internal standards' - result. Telephone engineer #2 also found nothing wrong - again line crackling. Broadband engineer #5 / 6? just gave up lol.

BT Install tomorrow. f**k you Sky, f**k you.

Clio Trophy
Still don't see what difference it is going to make, it is still coming down the same line to your house, it is still connecting the same box, but good luck

Clio Trophy
I would cry lol, what things did the other engineers try? Do you have a filter fitted to all your phones sockets, did they replace your master socket?