ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just got my first 172 Cup

Clio 172 Cup
Hi all,

Just picked up my first 172 Cup yesterday and wanted to say wow, what a car. Goes like stink when you want it to and then 45mpg if you're into greenpeace. ;)

Mine is silver and from what I have read on the forums, there were only 100 made... is that true?

Will get some pictures up soon.

J.

Half stripped mk2 172
Yes think thats true, only a handful made in silver, otheres are all blue i believe. Welcome to CS. Vince

What were you driving before?

Hate to be the voice of reason but go careful! Its shocking the amount of 172 Cups that get written off during the winter months, shouldn't really be a problem but without ABS and traction control if things go wrong they can go very very wrong very quickly. I fortunately got mine in May so I've had a few months of fun (doubled the mileage in less than 6 months, got it at 8k and its now on 16k despite only having a 5 mile commute every day!) before starting to take it real easy now, but on the upside I'm approaching 40mpg even on my horrible journey to work so its not all bad.

I think there must be more than 100, at one stage (August I think) when I had my Cup serviced in Bournemouth I saw 3 for sale at seperate garages on the same day, and at that time there were 5 others available in the South West via Autotrader. Unless nearly 10% of people decided to trade up at the same time in the same area I would say that there were a few more out there.

Clio 172 Cup
ukaskew - I was driving a Clio Mk1 1.4RT before - it had done me well but I didn't think it was going to make it thru the winter months.

Thanks for the advice - I'm going to take it easy over the winter. I was driving back thru Oxford last night and the freezing fog was a nightmare - i just took it steady.

I checked out about 4 garages last weekend and tested 3 blue 172 Cups, 1 blue 182 and the silver 172 cup. Maybe you were lucky to see 3! :) It looked the best plus from the service history looked like it had been treated pretty well - the others looked like they had been hammered!!

James.

Weeman sucks ****
Welcome to the cup club.

I'll be the first to say it, get coilovers! I have them and they make the car much much better.

Good choice mate.

Engles Mummy
Hello m8, nice one for getting the better car out of the four! lol

I got my cup only 3 weeks ago; the car is surprisingly very easy to drive. But a standard cup doesn't handle as good as i thought. So lower it ASAP and you will appreciate it so much more!

Go slow in the rain and go very fast in the dry!

Enjoy buddy!

Liquid yellow R26 F1
cliostatic3.jpg

cliowales2copy.jpg

:)

VaVa
Never tyre (boom boom) of seeng that bottom pic. The Cup, doing just what God intended it to do. Or Renault at least. lol.

"Welcome to the cup club.

I'll be the first to say it, get coilovers! I have them and they make the car much much better.

Good choice mate."

why the coil overs mate ?

what diffrence does it make ?

is it firmer than the cup suspension ?

i think the original suspension in my 172 is firm enough for the road. un less your racing of course

can you tell me how much lower the coil overs make it and the diffrence in ride ?

Weeman sucks ****
I got the H&R coilovers on mine and they transform the car (ask most in here esp Loony). They're a lot more composed ie, they soak up the bigger bumps better and the car doesn't bounce about over the small ones. Bodyroll is reduced massively, just an all round better unit/ride.

Definately not harsher than the standard shocks and springs.

As for the height, you can go past drivability at the front and pretty low at the rear but not sure on the distance in mm. Here's a pic of mine, lowest at the rear and not as low as Dansta's at the front as I track mine lol (he'll call me a pussy).

CUP01.gif

that sounds great from what you tell me.

so you reckon the ride isnt reduced ? that sounds too good to be true.

your ride hieght looks excellent.

have you got a website where i can check the coil overs out ?

im in australia. just wondering if they are available here.

how much did it cost to install them ?

what size rims do u hav on ?

yes alot of help bro thanks.

interesting reading which brings me to my next question.

the original sport suspension and cup suspension is i think prettty good.

what makes these aftermarket kits that much better. and if they are how much would you notice it on a track ? after all the sport clio suspension has had extensive testing from the factory.

Weeman sucks ****
Erm, difficult to say. I'm no expert on the technology in shocks so can't give you hard facts, sure someone on here can help more. H&R are just a reputable and well known name in the world of coils and shocks.

IIRC they put H&R on the GT3RS from the factory so must be pretty good. H&R's are also TUV tested hence a bigger price tag plus it means they've been extensively tested on the car intended.

As for track use they're great and as before much better than standard. Personally I find them a bit soft at the rear but that's just spring rate (and H&R sell loads of different rates for most units). I did run Eibach pro springs which are the best spring for ride quality without touching the shocks but they raise cups rather than lower them (so they'd be onto a winner if they re-made them to drop the car). Then the apex springs were on, stiffer but they're linear so pretty harsh and can't cope with our british roads as well imo, fine on track though.

The best £730 you can spend on a cup IMHO. That and the exhaust I have is all I have done and it's plenty for me...still grinning after 3 years and 57,000 miles of motoring.

how does your exhaust effect the performance of the clio ?

is it really noticeable ?

i hate exhausts that fart alot. theres nothing worse than 4 cylinder with a farty exhaust that makes more noise than go.

its so hard trying to get perfromance bits here in adelaide australia.

they are hard to find and the nearest suposedly french performance shop is in melbourne. which is like a 7-8 hour drive !!

the easiest off the shelf part i can find is a k&n filter.

u reckon i should get 1 ?

Weeman sucks ****
puncher, don;t bother with an induction kit unless you can block all the heat around it. they sit too close to the engine and suck the hot air in, and from personal experince you'll loose power. some say the viper kit works and some don't. the only kit out there that i've heard great reviews of is the maxogen kit but it comes at a price, around £450 iirc. But with the correct air fed into it it will give you power. Try contacting Mark Fish Motorsport if interested.

As for my exhaust, it probably gives off an illusion of extra power but probably doesn't give any, it's quite loud. Maybe the decat helps?

MKIII 138
i also hate farty 4cyl exhausts, in general i hate 4cyl noise its so flat and monotone unless you get some of the restrictions taken out i.e cat, AFR meter etc.. and fit an induction kit, try hillpower you get noise and heat shielding