ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just driven a 182...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Well its finally happened and I am not as impressed as I thought I should be! :eek:

Was an Arctic Blue one, with Cup spoilers but without the Cup suspension, which was a shame, but Im gonna find one with it and drive another...

Anyway, had the thing for about 45mins on my own so there was no holding back and I went for a good thrash on various types of roads, as well as a bit of gentle driving to get a good feel for the car.

But, it was just not quick at all. Felt soooo dead below 5k rpm and even when it did come on cam it was not that impressive and felt very "flat" compared to my Cup.

Now one major factor here was the fact that the car only had about 650 miles on the clock so was still as tight as a nuns chuff, but when Ive driven new 172s & Cups in the past they always felt more lively than this!

However, I am giving it the benefit of the doubt and I wanna find another 182 with more miles on and Cup suspension for a second opinion.

Handling wise, coming from the Cup it felt softer, less composed at speed and under braking, plus there was more body roll, although it did seem to stick well and did cover ground quite well, so not all bad. Youll notice the subtle changes over the 172 anyway.

Deffo need to drive one with Cup suspension now to compare.

The extra toys are nice though, liked the additional equipment over the Cup, although not sure Id use all the stuff but things like climate will be nice in summer.

Not massively bothered about all this stuff though, hence why I originally bought a Cup.

Currently I have sold my Cup privately and was going to go for a 182, but as it stands now I will not be ordering one at the moment...

It is more or less the same engine tho mate, how can it feel dead below 5k ? I didnt think that at all to be honest, thought it pulled like a train IMHO.

The one I drove only had 100 miles on it and that felt quick then.

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

the one i drove was sweet as a nut...and only had delivery milage on it......i was the first test drive.....prehaps u got a duff one.....

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Tuesday. (arrrrgggh spam filter)

BTW: 182 owners dont come in here and start giving it the bigun. No need.

I get what you mean about the flatness mine did it up to about 1200miles, and its still not right.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Daipac on 02 April 2004

It is more or less the same engine tho mate, how can it feel dead below 5k?
Not all engines are the same though, and as we all know there are good & bad examples out there...

My Cup is very strong in the mid-range though and I know its a good one from my 1/4 mile times and the RR results.

See how my Cup compares to two standard 172s >>>

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1069890900__SilverRSC_vs_Boyo_vs_RichD_Comparison_01.jpg

This was done last year and I only had a few miles on the clock at the time too!

So could be comparing a good Cup to a duff 182 here and I aint making any final judgements on the 182s until I have more driving experience in them.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 02 April 2004

BTW: 182 owners dont come in here and start giving it the bigun. No need.
Get em told... ;)

Quote:

I get what you mean about the flatness mine did it up to about 1200miles, and its still not right.
Like I said, I am not judging all 182s by this one car as it had b*gger all miles on the clock for a start and may not be a good example.

Tappd'd RS

tight as a nuns chuff - PMSL!

Thats a shame about the 182 - youll just have to try one with more miles on it and maybe cup suspension?

182 Spiced

I test drove a 182 with cup suspension and it felt good the ride wasnt hard and it stuck to the road. Your right about the revs though after about 5000rpm the car flew, but before that, it wasnt as fast as i expected, certainly not as fast as the CTR i test drove...

I havent gone for the cup suspension and just wanna know if there is a huge difference without it... or what are the main differences...? Hope someone can help. Cheers

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 02 April 2004

Anyway, had the thing for about 45mins on my own so there was no holding back and I went for a good thrash on various types of roads, as well as a bit of gentle driving to get a good feel for the car.

But, it was just not quick at all. Felt soooo dead below 5k rpm and even when it did come on cam it was not that impressive and felt very "flat" compared to my Cup.

Now one major factor here was the fact that the car only had about 650 miles on the clock so was still as tight as a nuns chuff, but when Ive driven new 172s & Cups in the past they always felt more lively than this!

However, I am giving it the benefit of the doubt and I wanna find another 182 with more miles on and Cup suspension for a second opinion.
My 182 seems to be the same as the one you drove. Not a lot below 5000rpm. Only feels really lively in the wet when accelerating hard in the lower gears.

Tappd'd RS

that surprises me as the CTR never feels as fast as it really is. Cup felt faster.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by 182 Spiced on 02 April 2004

I havent gone for the cup suspension and just wanna know if there is a huge difference without it...
Personally Id have said this was a big mistake!

For £200 youd be mad not to get it...

Tappd'd RS

how do the 2 suspension set ups compare for ride quality.

What about the difference in the ride of your cup rich or the 182 non cup.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Well i think its noticeably stiffer. "other" people dont think there is any diff.

The 182 that i drove the other day seemed fine from around 3k revs and that only had 246 miles on the clock. Bear in mind that Ive been driving around in a car with 177lbft of torque at 4k revs for the week, so the 182 really should have felt flat at low revs....but it didnt. Maybe another case of engines being run in differently, or differences in manufacturing between units?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Well not as such the torque comes in earlier now. but its 250rpm earlier.

Your not going to even notice.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by B@llsie on 02 April 2004

how do the 2 suspension set ups compare for ride quality.

What about the difference in the ride of your cup rich or the 182 non cup.
The non Cup 182 was too soft for my liking...

182 Spiced

i didnt go for the suspension because i didnt like the colour of the alloys with titanium - wanted all (typical) silver effect :)

if i choose the artic blue or black then i would have but in titanium the silver alloys look great!

just hope the 182 that arrives in 8 bloody weeks is not a duff. If it is, any ideas on how to complain, or what to compare it against

A more linear power delivery can feel slower since there isnt such a transition. Power diffs can be made and lsot by simple things like manifold alignment at the factory.

Like VTEC, the kicks there for marketing, you can switch it alot earlier and gain massive amounts of power and torque running the high cam at about 3500-4000rpm

GW Clio 200

The thing is, there are many different reasons for buying the 182. Mine personally was to have a nippy car that had all the toys that I required to make driving that little more pleasureable.

If you want a track day car, I think you are looking a the wrong vehicle. There are other options to consider out there, namely the Lotus Elise

You could wait and see if they are to bring a 182 Cup out, but I fear that wait will be in vain.

GW Clio 200

lol...........Nah Im giving up on the Cup for the luxuries, I love my Cup but I want Air Con ABS and all that.........

Got to agree. The 182s ive driven (two) werent any / much faster in a straight line than my Williams. 7.1 to 60 seems about right.

So one question, where is the extra 30 BHP.

A 180 BHP Williams would be VERY quick.

GW Clio 200

Yeah, If it wasnt for the nasty colour the "Terry Toweling interior" and the ugly gold wheels, I would have considered getting the "Iconic" Williams

GW Clio 200

King Stroppy Im joking, you have to ease up, its a bit of banter.

BTW Ill send you a £ fiver, you can either get yourself new haircut or pay the membership fee, you have over 2000 posts you owe them that much...

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Sorry to interupt the cat fighting :eek:

Is the standard 182 suspension that bad ?

Are the differences that major on the cup suspension ? If the standard set up is so crap then what does that say about the 172 suspension because its supposed to be an improvement over the 172 isnt it ?

I have not driven a 172 for anything more than a test drive so i cant comment but whats the difference between 172 and 182 suspension ?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Funkyjahooner on 02 April 2004

No... read my original post properly...

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 02 April 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Funkyjahooner on 02 April 2004

No... read my original post properly...
I have read your original post..again..properly..again...

I asked a bit more than was the 182 suspension that bad,ok so you answered that part at the start of your post but i was looking for a bit more and should of put it across a bit different.

There seems to be a fascination with the cup suspension and i was wondering why,are the differences just subtle like that on the cup/182 standard are are the differences more than that.I know you are waiting to find out Rich but can anyone else who has driven both standard and cup 182 comment ?

Most people say go for the cup suspension and was wondering if someone who has actually driven both could comment from experience ?

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Rich,

Looking at your original post again its this which led to my question..

coming from the Cup it felt softer, less composed at speed and under braking, plus there was more body roll

I was led to believe they have made improvements on the 182,even if they are subtle..that doesnt read like an improvement to me :confused:

Astra VXR 17/05/07

I know and i value opinions but it confuses the hell out of me which is why im asking.The only experience of Clios i have is a quick test drive in a 172 and 2 weeks ownership of a 182 and all i keep hearing is the majority saying go for cup suspension so im trying to find out why and if its more than just subtle differences between the two.

Im assuming there is a noteable difference between the 172 and 182 cup suspension from posts i have read from people who have driven both but im trying to find another opinion which ill value from someone who has driven both standard 182 and cup 182 suspension.Id be interested to see what Rich thinks when he finds and trys one,but has anyone else done both ?

Rich, i too drove a 182 blue one with cup suspension which had only done about 1200 miles. Didnt really notice that much of a difference in acceleration, although i thought that above 5k my car was a little keener. I also think that the 172 cup suspension is still very minutly stiffer than the 182 cup. Have to say that i dont like the colour of the alloys on the 182, although dig the exhaust. Talking of exhaust i noticed it made more of a metalic rasp at higher revs which made me chuckle a bit.

The sales guy wanted me to arrange another test drive for a week later and for about an hour, but i will leave it for a bit, let the car get some more miles on it and have another go, that way i will have a better idea. Still think i made the right choice in purchasing the 172 Cup i.e. im not selling up. I also didnt get the chance to test out the abs properly.