ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jon's Trackday PH1 172 project thread

340i
As said, those bolts aren't tight at all... you just need to 'crack' them and they are finger loose.

I've found the cheaper sockets don't always sit on the bolt heads true, causing people to round them off.

172, Tiguan
f7539b7f.jpg

Sorted with a screwdriver, some molegrips, a file and a rather large hammer.

172, Tiguan
Engine coming along. Hope to clean rocker cover properly tomorrow and paint it all up. Then ill get the cambelt on and it timed up. You can see the cams are locked an the crank is also pinned in place already. I've got a new crank bolt to fit as well.

Needed a couple of bits from Renault. Kerchinggggg!

35783235.jpg

f575f38f.jpg

61b80827.jpg

dda4d543.jpg

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Good to meet you earlier Jon,

Ive read through the whole thread this afternoon, and what a quality project it is! Shame i wasnt able to see the car

Austin

172, Tiguan
Managed to get a day on the car this weekend. It was meant to be longer but the other half was sick so I had to head home sooner than planned.

The list of jobs before Rockingham before work started stood at this:

Paint cage
Fit dashboard and connect everything up.
Make dash panel for switches
Fit brake pads
Fit coilovers, camber bolts and adjustable top mounts
Fit battery in car and wiring/cut out switch
Fit doorhandles
Apply graphics
Fit towstrap

I then need to get the car mot'd, taxed and suspension aligned and setup.

Annoyingly in the 3 weeks the car has been sitting the dead quiet engine has developed a really loud screech. We thought it might be the dephaser pulley again but I think its alternator related. I've not got time to fix this now so it's going to be like that for Rockingham. It did get a bit quieter when it warmed up and it's only when you rev the engine. Frustrating.

First thing first the car was rolled out the garage and seats/dash removed. We began masking up to paint the cage. What an arse of a job, it took bloody hours!! It also started raining halfway through so I ended up finishing very early Sunday morning before heading north. In total it took 3 big cans of primer and 6 cans of Capsicum red. Looks good though I think.

283df764.jpg

ef5b8080.jpg

fd7fb096.jpg

f15011d0.jpg

Quick cover up when it rained!

7f824ff0.jpg

Done.

155c9d6e.jpg

(Dash half in properly.)

5e8b6b15.jpg

a5296bff.jpg

Dash almost finished.

I still need to connect the heater back up, but apart from that everything is in and working. As it stands it's useable for Rockingham so thats OK.

Dad is going to fit the front coilovers and topmounts over the next few weeks and then I need to have a chat to UB about MOT and suspension setup. Everything else on the list above will have to wait. If it gets done it gets done :(

After that we packed up and I headed north.

We did find some time to apply a few stickers though ;)

db43e7dd.jpg

That's all you're getting.

172, Tiguan
More than welcome mate, it should be up here towards the end of March. I've finally got it insured today through Competition Car Insurance, so once it's taxed and mot'd it's ready to go.

172, Tiguan
It's a road based policy starting at 1000 miles a year and then I can add what I want to it. I don't plan on doing many miles at all in it so it's fine for now. I can upgrade it to full competition use if I fancy.

172, Tiguan
I've copied this from elsewhere so apologies if it reads badly....

Last Saturday was stupid.

I'd travelled down from Durham Friday night after work on a one way train ticket (brave). The car was booked in for an MOT the next morning and tax was needed before the post office shut at lunch. No pressure then. I arrived at Gatwick station and Mum collected me about 10pm. I hate trains, have I mentioned that?

I agreed to be at Gareth's (the guy that fitted the rollcage for me) at 8.30 the following morning, so opened the garage door and glanced over the work Dad had been doing on the car over the last week or so when he had time. He'd fitted the front uprights and AST top mounts in place and also tidyed the wiring inside the car. He'd also fashioned a dash panel for various switches and had refitted the passenger seat and harness. The car was as ready as it'd ever be, though it was far to low.

Bright and early I started the car and backed it onto the road. This was the furthest the car had moved in 13 months and would also be the engines maiden journey. Half hour later i was at Gareths and apart from a weird burning smell and continual suspension bangs it was fine. Phew.

Here's where the day became crap.

The MOT was booked for 11 am so there was a little bit of time to check the suspension and do a pre mot check. The car had coilovers fitted alround but i'd also got hold of a set of (used) H&R coilovers. They are a lot better quality but the tophat had fused itself to a spring, Dad gave up and never fitted them. Jamie started cleaning them up whilst Gareth looked over the car. The rear disks were beyond repair so a set was ordered up. We looked at the low front suspension to discover it had already been notching the chassis itself!

a262cc54.jpg

We talked about the suspension and as it was an easy job (in theory) we decided to fit the rear H&R stuff. It was about 9.30 at this point, MOT was in 90 mins. It was halfway through fitting the rears it became apparent that the H&R stuff had a different thread for the top nut and I didn't have them. Gareth shouted something about secondhand stuff and I nodded in agreement. After a lot of searching G found some suitable nuts and sorted the back end. He'd also had to customise the rear H&R adjustable platforms as I hadn't got all of the kit there either.... Back down on the floor and the car resemballed a dragster. Back in the air and G lowered the rear. It still looked stupid high but Gareth was swearing about time. Nobody had made coffee. Things were getting dire.

In the meantime Jamie had done a cracking job on refurbing the front H&R struts and they looked great. The height adjusters were seized but the rest was great. Fear not though, these were originally setup by Mark Fish, a man that knows a thing or two about Clios. Plenty of time untill the MOT (45 mins), lets put them on.

On they went (actually reasonabley easily) along with some Eibach camber bolts, and the car was on the ground, still looking like a dragster, 5 mins to spare. G and I jumped in and off we set.

On the way there the car started to play up. It was running fairly badly and at one junction it stalled. When we got to the mot place it stank of rotten eggs and the engine light appeared of the dash. Feck. Mr friendly mot man stuck the pipe thing up the terrible exhaust and in doing so nearly passed out. Within 3 seconds his computer started saying 'you're having a laugh'.

We got the car plugged in to Gareths machine and it said Lambda. Luckily my Clio has 2 of them, earlier ones only have one. We swapped front to back and whilst it wasn't great it ran a great deal better. Phew. I needed tax in half an hour. Feck!

Gareth quipped 'i'd be lucky to drive the car home'. I then let on that home wasn't my Mum and Dads but my home 320 miles away. (I've since found out my mother thought this 'foolhardy'. Pah) I'm not sure what Gareth made of this but at that point he noticed the rear numberplate light was fecked and the offside rear lights were interfering with each other. Feck. I'd assured him the lights were fine as Dad had told me he'd checked them. Gareth swore at me. We sorted out the earth on both issues and left the MOT station with a sense of relief. I taxed the car. Pressure was off. It wasn't really off as the car was still idling badly, but whats 320 miles in a car thats done 1 mile in the last 13 months?

Back at Gareths he got all the guages out and aligned the H&R's and dialed in 2.5 degrees of camber. Nice. After more swearing the back also got put on maximum low. It's still visably to high for me, but Gareth decided [enter expletives here]... I did about 5 trips up the road to make sure steering wheel was straight and the car felt alright. It felt bloody brilliant, I was chuffed!

78cd8771.jpg

The new rear disks and bearings (it's one thing on a Clio) arrived and were fitted. The nice parts lady forgot to include new abs rings and the old one cracked coming off the old disk. Gareth swore, Jamie pointed out 'who needs abs anyway'. I nodded. I now have 2 lights on the dash, one about ABS and one telling me it needs a service because the abs is fecked. Thanks Renault.

At the same time my secondhand (more swearing) EBC Blue pads were fitted. I say secondhand, they were almost new. Jamie cleaned them, they looked like new to me. That'll do.

At this point a customer showed up in a Merc ML. Gareth perked up and told them there turbo was fecked. Feeling superior as my car had a brand new MOT and the expensive Black Merc 4x4 had a massive bill awaiting them I think I went and made coffee.

By this time it was about 3.30ish and the final job of the day was one which will cheer Weeman up no end. Gareth took a large air tool to the rear exhaust box and attached a bit of pipe to it that points nicely at pedestrians walking along the footpath. Jamie was suitably impressed. In the meantime Jamie had attached the TRS tow strap for me as we figured somewhere along the M1 later that night I might need it. lol.

026323ce.jpg

cf9ec4d9.jpg

After saying thanks a million times and loading the car up I waved goodbye. The car got to the gate and my phone rang. I answered it and sat talking with the car idling for 5 mins whilst i talked. '....i've got to go sorry, the engine lights come back on'. Feck! The car had made it 200 metres of it's 320 mile journey :D

Back at Gareths we plugged the car in and it said 'Destructive misfire 200'. I'm not sure if that referred to Gareth or the car, but swearing was apparent. Off came the inlets and it appeared plug lead number two was loose. This must've always been like this because brand new plug number 2 was coaked up as well. All back together again and i set off sometime after 6. It'd been a long day. I decided it was sensible to go via mum and dads and have a bite to eat. Car seemed fine after the 20 mile run back there. Mum then spent the next half hour trying to talk me out of driving home, but I set off anyway. Dad said, 'here, take this sleeping bag incase you break down'. haha.

I made it home at 1am, the car was brilliant. I was deaf, slightly loosing the will to live and bored to hell with driving a car that everyone seems to want to race you in. The only casualty of the journey was the speedo with died around Luton and accasionally came back to life. I can confirm that this is a nightmare when you are trying to negotiate average speed limit sections without traffic for reference. I think 2250 rpm is about 50mph in top. I guess i'll find out soon! It does mean though that my 320 mile journey was only 167 miles on my limited mileage policy! Kapow!!

About 40 miles from home, about midnight my phone lit up, it was Gareth. 'Don't know if I dare ask... How's it going???' I replied. I got one back 'You're not texting whilst driving are you?' I was picturing the swearing.

So, the car isn't finished, it's a bit rough round the edges and one thing to come out of the journey was it's running a bit lumpy on idle and a bit cold + it's using a little bit too much fuel, but i'm on it as we speak! So fingers crossed i'll see you all Friday night in Corby.

Cheers!

(Well done for reading all that btw!)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Brilliant read Jon.

Glad to see it's all running-ish.

You should have called when you were doing the bits, I'd have been more than willing to be an extra pair of hands/car full of spares.

172, Tiguan
I thought about it actually mate, but there was three of us on it for 10 hours so room was tight!

I replaced the cold temp sensor last night as I had one on the spare engine. Going to give it a run into work tomorrow to see how it goes.

172, Tiguan
Where abouts is it? Is it the plastic thing sticking out the top of the gearbox? I'll try and clean this one first I think.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Cleaning it is generally pointless unless it's totally filthy.

Reach over the engine, down by the exhaust manifold, top/back of the gearbox, you'll feel it.

It is plastic, but you have to pull the metal heatshield off first, but maybe not if it's not fitted.