ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jon's Trackday PH1 172 project thread

172, Tiguan
So having been without a Clio for about 5 days I thought it best to buy another. They are, as those who have driven one, quite addictive. This was crazy idea number one.

The second crazy idea is I am definitely definitely definitely building this to a budget, a small one.
a_whistle.gif

I now live in Durham but still (for the time-being) work down south. I stay with my parents one week, then work from home the next and so on. My Dad has recently retired and was looking a bit bored, I had an idea.

The long and short of it is that i'm funding the project and my Dad is going to do most of the donkey work, with me helping out when i'm staying with them (think of Dad as Ed China and me as a younger, taller, Mike Brewer). He has built a few Westfields in the past, time to dust off the tools.

After about 30 mins of hunting for a car I found one advertised on here by Mike at Rentech for 'Spares or repair'. A quick call discovered it had had an entire top end rebuild and cam belt change last year but the bottom end let go recently. The car ran, but there's a hell of a knocking noise. Mike explained they already had too many cars each so weren't interested in it themselves.

The car was taxed, Mot'd and apart from the engine, sounded fairly genuine, though at this point i hadn't even seen the car. A deal was struck and I was the new owner.

I made a call south and chatted with Dad how best to get it back to his, as it was even further south in Portsmouth. It needed a tow and we soon discovered his car was going to be overweight with it on a trailor, so we decided to hire a flatbed van. £95 later and the car was back at my parents.

Dad took these pics when he got it home:

clio1.jpg

Odd lights, but it does have an HID setup.

clio2.jpg

clio3.jpg

The car drove itself under it's own steam up the drive and into the garage.

The car has done 86k and appears to have a full - if interesting history file with it.

Plans are to turn it into a trackday car with the odd sprint and hillclimb in mind, possibly more, it depends on funds.

Fast forward one week and I'm back down south for the week. I first saw the car the Monday just gone.

TBC

172, Tiguan
Re: Jon's MK1 172 project thread

So first job was obviously to source the parts to replace the faulty bottom end. Good old eBay came up trumps with a 43k 172 Cup bottom end taken from a rear ended 03 plate car. I made the guy an offer and last night travelled into deepest darkest Essex to collect from what can only be described as a backstreet scrap yard. Very odd. Still, the bottom end was squeezed into the back of the BM and brought home.

I didn't get in till fairly late so my brother and I lifted it out onto the bench and left it.

7c500afd.jpg

It's a bit grubby, but the plan is to strip down and rebuild anyway, refreshing what's needed. The bores all look fine at quick glance.

As a bonus it's still got the Cup alternator bracket still fitted which allows for the removal of the aircon and tensioner pulley. This alone is usually £100 odd.

On that front I opened the bonnet for the first time and had a look. It seems someone has already started removing the aircon system.

45686de3.jpg

45686de3.jpg

thumb.gif

I then had a look through the history that came with the car and discovered this:

caeaf592.jpg

Quite how the insurance company paid out that much on it just 7000 miles ago is beyond me. I'm guessing it drove over a bollard or hit a curb. There was also a full geo check sheet attached to the back of this, so it was sorted properly.

172, Tiguan

Sure. Want them?

It's OK, i've got standard ones on the way to me already.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Looks like a good project, nice to see the work being done at home etc.

If you ever need anything/help when you're down working on it, don't be afraid to ask.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Subscribed, can't believe I actually used to dislike the Ph1's.

Jon is there a chance the guy paid for the repairs himself? I can't see the invoice very well.

I like the lights.

Good project. Now don't buy anything else before I get a chance. Ta.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

I like the lights.

Good project. Now don't buy anything else before I get a chance. Ta.
It's okay he's posted more than 1 picture, your P/P is fine.

172, Tiguan

Subscribed, can't believe I actually used to dislike the Ph1's.

Jon is there a chance the guy paid for the repairs himself? I can't see the invoice very well.

No, that was invoiced to the insurance company. Bizarre. Regardless it means the car has a gearbox thats nearly new. Happy Jon.

I love MK1's, it's been a while since I owned one, I had however forgotten how s**t the dashboard is!

Dan, you need to reply to for sale threads quicker ;)

I've just spent a pretty penny at Reno for 'odds and sods'

172, Tiguan

I know :( that was with a friends discount as well.

Thanks for the offer btw chap.....might well take you up on that one day!

172, Tiguan

Apologies if some of this is a bit basic for some, but i'm using it as a diary of what gets done and when...

Not a lot of time free this evening to work on the car, but manaed to get 90 mins in the garage by myself.

First off discovered the car has some crappy Clifford type alarm and immobiliser on it. Oh the joy! :angry:

Anyway, put the front of the car on axle stands:

753cccdf.jpg

First job is to remove front trim.

Some bolts were already missing....

1dd88676.jpg

Top grille off:

38884d81.jpg

Foglights out:

a8ba2fd5.jpg

Bumper and inner arch liners out:

4f3d8048.jpg

ad44c483.jpg

404b0523.jpg

Aircon rad already missing!

8f690835.jpg

Weird front lights removed - they even have built in daylight running LED's.

:D :whistle: :rolf:

c013fc81.jpg

1c053a16.jpg

d2680c91.jpg

5dd2b23e.jpg

That's all for now. Hopefully another couple of hours tomorrow and the slam panel can come off.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Good work, I'm liking the attention to detail with the photo taking.

Gray, until you've seen me work, you can't judge. ;)

172, Tiguan

Taking as many photos as I can so I can remember what goes where!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Re: Missing bolts... don't worry about it too much, mine's not exactly held together at all point either.

On the bright side, Fred and Danny both seem to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of what they are, so if you ever want replacements, just ask them (or Budgie, as he seems to have 20 boxes full of nuts and bolts)

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E

So this is where they are going... I see now.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG

Nice project. Where abouts in Essex did you pick the bottom end up from out of interest?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

Subscribed to this. Will be interesting to see what you do to it on a budget. Bet its ace having a daily car too as you can build a no compromise motor.

172, Tiguan

That's the real good thing tbh. Come Thursday night I won't see the car for 10 days at least, so it's great to have another daily runner.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

No, that was invoiced to the insurance company. Bizarre. Regardless it means the car has a gearbox thats nearly new. Happy Jon.

I love MK1's, it's been a while since I owned one, I had however forgotten how s**t the dashboard is!

Crazy that they spent that kind of money on it! Excellent for you! I'm sure that invoice was a nice surprise.

How far stripped is it going Jon? Getting the hole cutter out? :eek:

172, Tiguan

Nothing that extreme unless I end up going racing in the trackday trophy or something, but I've not got time for anything like that for a while (you understand why!). For now it'll be club sport kind of spec. Sound deadening will come out but carpet will go back in etc etc.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Nice. Pretty perfect idea if you ask me. Time constraints? Is that what they are calling them these days? :eek:

Lols @ Club sport, actually sounds very cool!

172, Tiguan

So, again, hardly any time to fiddle with the car tonight, but finished removing the front end and then took a few general pics:

70b4e348.jpg

Bonnet and slam panel removed.

9aaec9b1.jpg

Nearside

fe475d5b.jpg

Offside

588248f5.jpg

dcdacbd4.jpg

Marking up where bits came from.

b146fc24.jpg

Engine bay.

fe2625fe.jpg

Manifold has been wrapped at some point.

7aad3908.jpg

b3e6162a.jpg

OE lights turned up.

e36ca153.jpg

Sump is weeping a bit, it'll be out soon.

fd139fdd.jpg

73e8e909.jpg

194b6146.jpg

It's a Cobra not a Clifford.

ae666c42.jpg

Only fit for the bin!

Tomorrow evening the coolant gets drained and the rad removed. Might start removing interior as well if I get any time.

That steering wheel is really bad. Good project so far, the front end of mine looked a little like yours when it was having a belt change earlier in the week

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Did the previous owner eat the steering wheel.
Good project. But i can't help feeling a better project would be a westy or something?! But RS clio's are so affordable now... pro/cons to both.

172, Tiguan

Did the previous owner eat the steering wheel.
Good project. But i can't help feeling a better project would be a westy or something?! But RS clio's are so affordable now... pro/cons to both.

Oh I agree, but the initial outlay on a starter kit for a Westie is 4-5k at last look, it may well be more now. Initial outlay on the 172 was £550... Let's hope the end point isn't the same ££ as well Ali!

It's a seriously crap wheel in a bad state. Luckily I have an OMP on it's way to me already. :)

Do you have actual knowledge, Jon? Or just like taking things apart? Lol.

That steering wheel is proper fucked!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Oh I agree, but the initial outlay on a starter kit for a Westie is 4-5k at last look, it may well be more now. Initial outlay on the 172 was £550... Let's hope the end point isn't the same ££ as well Ali!

It's a seriously crap wheel in a bad state. Luckily I have an OMP on it's way to me already. :)

Sounds like a good call to me! The knowledge base is so good for them now.

172, Tiguan

I have an end goal, no time constraints, and some knowledge. I'm reading up and thoroughly researching stuff before doing everything, or anything major.

TBH, it's a Clio, not rocket science. An engine is an engine. And I've only spent three hours on it!

The only thing that scares me is electrics and wiring looms, but even they can be worked out with diagrams and common sense.

172, Tiguan

Last night I finished taking everything off needed to get the engine out, save the rad, with is just sitting in place and can be lifted out.

Removed the airbags ready for the new wheel.

Rolled the car back out of the garage, washed all the birdcrap off of it and then drove it back in ready for the engine to come out.

8da3adec.jpg

1d171baf.jpg

5e936316.jpg

Won't see the car for a week or so now, but hopefully Dad will make a start when they are back from skiing.

172, Tiguan

Time for an update.

Dad had removed the sump from the bottom end I bought and had removed the oil pump and chain drive + the crankshaft pulley. The bottom end had a fair amount of sludge in it indicating that water has mixed with the oil, we both think it'd been standing a while.

We spent this eevning stripping the bottom end down, marking everything up and cleaning as we were going along.

Everything seems to be in good nik, with only slight marks on the main bearings (which I might replace pending some advice). Big end bearings, piston rings, bores etc look fine. Tomorrow we're going to clean the block up and get rid of all the muck.

A few pics:

cacddf6d.jpg

Main bearing 1

a58476c1.jpg

No.1 is nearest us.

3ab65a7e.jpg

dd19d0e8.jpg

Shims on no.2 only.

fb8dc72e.jpg

63fff8d1.jpg

Main bearing

d1e32440.jpg

82291a5e.jpg

526bacfd.jpg

d492ae92.jpg

Will need a good clean!

Apart from that I started stripping the back of the car down. One of the rear seat bolts had rusted itself into place so had to be drilled out. Save that, all going smoothly so far.

I've had a load of bits turn up whilst i've been away, will get a few pics tomorrow.

172, Tiguan

So had the evening to myself last night and it's the last time i'll see the car until early May, so thought I ought to crack on a bit. Dad's set some time aside next week to rebuild the bottom end of the spare engine, so the head has to come off the engine in the car to go onto that one. I spent the evening removing everything I could and marking up all the wiring, sensors, loom etc.

First up, remove throttle body and throttle cable:

6812bc19.jpg

Coil pack:

ca3c234a.jpg

Plugs:

30a68051.jpg

10d3d069.jpg

Next the top engine mount was removed along with the upper inlet manifold.

78d67cec.jpg

35914215.jpg

Then at some point the coolant was drained out and rad removed along with coolant pipes:

7e35ae32.jpg

Alternator, air-con pump and associated bodged bracketry was removed. I was amazed by all the weight involved here and what a bodge it appeared to be. None of this is going back on and it's saved so much weight (all right out front). Good stuff.

Lower inlet removed:

12ef92b6.jpg

Can't decide if someone has had a go at these already, it wouldn't surprise me:

ebfe2875.jpg

Finished there and was left with:

642fb9c7.jpg

d6dc5d46.jpg

Steering wheel has also arrived (as has so much other stuff, none of which i've taken a picture of!

0296c47c.jpg

So not much will happen now for a while, but hopefully the engine will slowly get put back together whilst i'm away, fingers crossed. :whistle:

One last thing, oil pump from Reno was going to be £190 + vat so i'd resigned myself to using the old one. Eurocarparts £56. :D