ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jon's Trackday PH1 172 project thread

172, Tiguan
Hi mate lovely project. Love the attention to detail. I have currently just bought a 1.2 mk2 ph1 Clio with the intention of making it a full pledge track car.
I am currently looking at building my own cage for it but I am unsure of how much material I need to purchase. I know im taking the P*ss a bit but would you measure your cage up to see roughly how much material i would need? Unfortunately i havent got the car back from where i have purchased it yet so it not as simple as nipping outside to measure it up.
Keep up the good work.
Ta Dan

Cheers. Unfortunately the car is being worked on quite a way from where I live and i'm not going to see it again in person until the end of January. If i remember though i'll measure it for you.

Just epic mate, read it from start to finish i'm planning on doing this to my old PH1 when i buy it back :). I'm mechanically minded as im a fitter/turner by trade but I am no car mechanic. Is it hard rebuilding a F4R? My usual work is on rotating equipment but I do know a little bit about car engines. I'd like to have a separate F4R lump on a engine stand to build accordingly then swap from the PH1. I want to have a go at building it myself and learn the hard way

The best way I think. I'm no expert, but just took plenty of time when i took it all apart, taking plenty of pictures and labelling things up etc. There is a fountain of knowledge on here as well so spend some hours searching and reading! Make sure you get hold of the 2 F4R pdf's as well before you start as there isn't a haynes manual available. Cheers.

172, Tiguan
I wasn't expecting any further progress on the car until after Christmas but Gareth has been cracking on at pace!

"Having fitted one seat, a rather nice Sparco S Light Circuit, I had some concerns that the second seat would be a bit of a squeeze. Jon had only left one seat with me, so his dad pitched up today with the second one. After a nice chat and a bit of a tour Jon's dad left and I got on with trying to get the other seat in.....

Luckily my concerns were unfounded, and it all fitted together just fine!"

clio-cage1.jpg

clio-cage2-1.jpg

clio-cage3.jpg

clio-cage4.jpg

"The passenger seat sits a little more upright, and hence a fraction higher than the driver. I prefer the passengers seat to be lower and further back than the driver, but in this case it isn't possible. I finished the passenger door cross, and my work is nearly done. The driving position is excellent, and I really like it!! Never thought I'd say that about a French car!!! "

Worth me saying that the steering column has been dropped a fair amount on spacers as the seat is half an inch off of the floor. :)

Last edited:
  DCI100 / 211hp MK1
Cheers. Unfortunately the car is being worked on quite a way from where I live and i'm not going to see it again in person until the end of January. If i remember though i'll measure it for you.

Hi mate no problem. It would be a great help if you could. Im not going to be starting the cage until february so what ill do is remind you near the end of Januray.

Another quick question what cage did you get and how much additional material did you buy to add the additions as im wondering if this woulld be a better way to go.

Also prices would be really helpful adn where you purchased the cage.

Tahnks again and i do apologise about all of my questions

172, Tiguan
Just the Race. The Race plus is a bit extreme unless you're going touring car racing imo. Even this one is pretty hardcore when compaired with your usual 6 point thing most use.

172, Tiguan
No plans to fiddle with engine at all. It's a complete waste of time and money on an F4R in my opinion. I'd rather spend the money on the suspension being honest.

Doing all I can myself, but the cage and seats have been put in properly and I expect the bill to be a 4 figure sum. It's all been done with the possibility of going racing in the future and with scrutineering/msa blue books in mind.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i really like the way youve moutned the seats, not seen them mounted that way before,

and please take it as a compliment if i mount mine in a similar way!!
though i will need to get my hands on some taller side mounts or im not going to be able to see a damn thing!!

did you weld the top plate to the floor, and still add another spreader plate underneith??

awesome project btw,

172, Tiguan
Sorry for the delayed reply! The guy fitting the cage has done all that for me so i don't know the specifics, but he said they were plated top and bottom. It's all to comply with scruiteneering etc. The car is still at the prep garage having the finishing touches to the cage sorted so I can't check for you i'm afraid.

-------------------------------

Over the Christmas break Jon's accumulation of crap has continued at great speed!
lol.gif

First off, to fix the oil leak i needed a set of engine locking tools. I hired them last time but it was hassle and I hate using other people's tools incase i damage something. You need 3 tools in total and most will say 'Genuine Renault only'. Once you read further into it you decide to take things with a pinch of salt, so I've bought a mish mash of both genuine and non genuine. The tool that takes all the strain is genuine, the other two which simply hold things in place are Sealey bits.

e62c6777.jpg

I then needed a cambelt to replace the brand fricking new one thats got covered in oil:

1860e0ef.jpg

I also needed the seals to replace the one that is leaking (that was also new...). Right, so I thought i'd cut corners and bought all three top end seals as copy parts - in for a penny and all of that... I then read up a bit and these might leak (aparently). For the sake of £22 I then went to Renault and bought a 'top end seal kit'. Then whilst we were at my parents over Christmas I found a box containing the left over bits, in which was a bloody new set of seals. FFS. So to replace one seal, i now have:

d548d4f1.jpg

shame.gif

I've also been buying other crap:

25mm spacers (hubcentric)

c660668c.jpg

You can just tell they are great can't you?

Some Ultralite wheels (and blimey, they are light):

9e3aba34.jpg

I've also broke the budget (lol) and bought a Cup spoiler which was silver (the wrong silver) over Cup blue, and had been bashed and scratched badly:

64797df4.jpg

I've filled and primered and set up a temporary spray booth (I'm dead proud of this..)

33d8eb56.jpg

It also had a brand new brake light with it which i've snapped. FFS. I'm spraying it red to match the bumpers.
smile.gif

Finally Father Christmas bought me a nice new torque wrench. Happy Days.

be00218c.jpg

thumb.gif

172, Tiguan
I know, I keep getting reminded by she who must be obeyed that I have too many of them. Watch this space (or lack of)!

I'm spending 10 mins here and there painting and repairing my Cup spoiler. I hate spray painting but it's getting there.

wing1.jpg

No lacquer yet though.

172, Tiguan
No mate just rattle cans! It's come out OK actually, i'll go and get a picture in a mo. Quite chuffed with myself.

Hi Joe. Better late than never old chap.

172, Tiguan
It tries my patience as well mate tbh. Crappy iPhone pic:

spoiler.jpg

Also started on the spare engine at lunch now i've got all the tools.

5b38a540.jpg

119c6929.jpg

fbf19183.jpg

172, Tiguan
Small update. The guy doing the cage decided it needed an extra bar to strengthen the front end.

fc28588b.jpg

Cage is now finished so i'm collecting the car from him Saturday morning and have a day or so to get a few jobs done, first port of call is changing the dephaser seal.

172, Tiguan
I'm not really, but i'm learning on the job. It's not as hard as some like you to believe! That engine above turned out to be a pup though so i've put my name down for another head from a phase 1 instead.

b570b9d5.jpg

8a5cfcb9.jpg

5d9c9883.jpg

b7dd4cd7.jpg

2fa620c6.jpg

442fc251.jpg

172, Tiguan
I've sold the Ultralites mate, sticking with 15" for now. The funds have been used elsewhere, more of which soon.

Evo 5 RS
My old head from my ph1 engine wasn't in bad knick according to Fred, he kept it.. not sure if he's still got it kicking about

172, Tiguan
lol, thats worth a few £ mate if its in good condition and complete! Freds always got loads of stuff he wants rid off but Birmingham's never on my route north and south.

Golf GTD Mk7
that engine looks ok Jon. Might just be pics? You sure you don't want my bottom end? I'll take less for the head now too ;)

172, Tiguan
It's fcuked mate, 8 bent exhaust valves. I've already got a full bottom end on the stand ready to go!

Golf GTD Mk7
Yeah noticed the head damage. I'd be surprised the inlets weren't knackered too. Thought you meant the bottom end was damaged too

172, Tiguan
Hello chaps. Took an annoyingly few pictures this weekend, but i'll do my best to explain a rather busy couple of days.

I got to Gareths's (where the cage was being done) at about 11am Saturday and had a bit of a catch up. Gareth had a few people in, but I got to have a chat to a couple of people i'd not met before and drank a few coffee's.

I'd had texts of various people over the week saying they'd sat in the car and it was fantastic. I was itching to get in, and sure enough the seating and steering position was spot on. I couldn't have asked for better! Gareth was relieved!

Whilst Gareth was off sorting an MOT for a customer the dent guy showed up to sort another car out. We got chatting and a small time later he was removing a nasty crease in the Clio's driver door. He did a cracking job. We both chuckled at the bootlid dent but I explained I had a new one at my parents, he said it was beyond repair anyway.

Gareth got back and freed his time up a bit after another car didn't need anything doing on it. We quickly set about getting the dash in place and a large hacksaw was taken to both parts of the dash. Satisfied it was in place and in a resonable position we called it a day as my friend Rupert had arrived to trailer the car back. I bugged Gareth to help fit a solid lower engine mount i'd bought, which has eliminated one of the Clio's achilles heel, engine movement!

With that done we got the car on the trailer, said our goodbyes and off we went.

leaving1.jpg

leaving2.jpg

leaving3.jpg

leaving4.jpg

ce0f1c64.jpg

1d8b2f13.jpg

71dfe0cd.jpg

Back at home we unloaded the car and drove it into the garage. The car had developed a high pitch sqeak from the engine, but nevermind, first job was to sort the leak.

Off with the bonnet and we began to strip the engine down, the aim was to replace the seal behind the inlet pulley that was leaking. About 90 mins later, engine locked with the special tools, and far more undone than we ever remembered it was time to remove the offending 'dephaser' pulley.

97a6704b.jpg

Anyway, turns out someone had put an exhaust pulley seal in the inlet...

Cut a long story short, the diameter of both seals is the same, so when Dad put the engine together it was a simple mistake to make. What he didn't appreciate is that the inlet seal doesn't actually seal anything, its only when the pulley is in place does it all seal up. The wrong seal had stopped oil getting into the dephaser pulley and instead it was leaking out.

We cleaned everything up as best we could, put in the new seal, checked all the pulleys and timed/tensioned the new belt up again. It was now getting quite late so we bolted it all back in place fired it up, let it idle and went to the pub.

The next morning we went to move the car outside and the sqeak i mentioned earlier was still there. After a lot of faffing I worked out the dephaser pulley was causing it. Where the wrong seal had been used before the pulley had been starved of oil. It'd only run for about an hour like this (and not gone more than half a mile) but the pulley was junk (these are
£150+!!) Anyway i'd had the foresight to chuck in the dephaser off of the spare engine. We then spent the whole of yesterday morning doing the whole bloody lot again. I'm pleased to say though it's now all fine, not leaking and running very smoothly! Finally got there!

The engine problems means we've made next to no progress on anything else and the list of jobs to do before Rockingham is massive.
to%20be%20added.gif
I'm only south once more between now and March so i'm not sure what state the car will be in when it gets to Rockingham, but we will be there.

44705005.jpg

Thats an odd coloured bonnet?
lol.gif

Just want to say a public thanks to Gareth at Ace Engineering, he's done a cracking job on the cage and mounting the seats. The quality of work and attention to detail have been first class and the coffee isn't bad to. I can't recommend him highly enough. Cheers.

Last edited:
  172, Tiguan
It's either being made bigger and then the current exhaust raised, or i'm getting the tailpipe changed to suit!

172, Tiguan
Red wheels are up here now in the back of the BM. The white ones have road tyres on them. I CBA changing their colour, I've got the cage to paint first at some point this year!

172, Tiguan
I've spent the last couple of lunchbreaks building up my spare engine with this new Phase 1 head I got at the weekend. It's pretty much all I can do when i'm 300+ miles away from the car.

I'm not exactly the worlds fastest engine builder but it's fairly straight forward.

1a3625d0.jpg

be00218c.jpg

18b39719.jpg

9557a442.jpg

24d696bf.jpg

878d0d1c.jpg

c2e3d842.jpg

I've also got a new waterpump to go on it but the bolts are those stupid torx things and three have rounded, so i'm off to invest it a big chisel or something to remove them.

Golf GTD Mk7
Have you tried hammering a socket on them jon. They aren't tight at all. hardest part about the pump i've found is removing the dam pulley.

172, Tiguan
I've tried that mate, but will give it another go before I pop out. Sodding things. Tempted to replace them all with decent bolts as i'm going to need the three i've rounded replacing.

I want to whip the sump off of this engine at some point and you bet your bottom dollar i'll round off one of those too!