ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jekyll's RB182 Progress Thread

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Did you put adhesion promoter in the primer so it doesn't crack?

Great work mate, I'd be removing as much paint as possible this will stop sinkage being as the rear 1/4 have already been painted.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Amazing work as always mate.

I can't wait to see it finished so I bet your mega excited!

I am. But I will say that so far it's been a lot of work and I still got more to go that it feels like it's never ending. I know when I see colour being put on, then it will feel like there's light at the end of the tunnel.

But it will look great when done ?

Wicked mate!! I reckon you should trailer it to CSF & show it like this, no bonnet or arches etc etc. In a strange way I think it looks kind of cool! ?

Yeah I totally get that. I've actually been enjoying driving it around the farm like it. I took it up the path the other day and the induction sounds great with no bonnet!

That's why I like taking these party pics as it looks rather raw and aggressive I think with less panels on. Also it's good to look back once it's done and see these pics.

Dediiiiiiiicationnnnnn.

Knowsit.

I need to get a crack on now as things are happening. Not only is this car being sprayed, but me and Emily have CSF at the end of the month, then next month the car shall be finished, I'm doing a 13mile obstacle course run and we have just bought a property which we should be moving into at the end of September and we are also away to Portugal at the end of September for our honeymoon/1st years anniversary.

Busy times ahead!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Yes I did Scott.

I used it on the front bumper. And the plan is to take more off. I certainly don't want sinkage!
Not trying to teach you to suck eggs mate, I worked in a bodyshop and as you know this stage of prep is key to a good job. Doesn't matter how well you put the paint on the prep is makes a great job or a dog.

Stripping the bonnet was a good move, saves rubbing down the stone chips and stops any sinkage issues and lots of layers of paint doesn't give a nice sharp finish.
We used to wet flat primer with 800 even for a straight colour this again stops any paint sinking into the sanding mark's

I think I'd be tempted to strip the quarter panels being as they have had paintwork in the past. ?

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
Ooooooh. Looking nice. I need to sort my front bumper out. Got scuffs all over. One from some woman reversed into my car. Could do with a nice spray up.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Congrats on buying a new property, hopefully you aren't moving too far? Car is getting better, looks great with all the bit's missing ?

That really does look cool with the no arches and bonnet etc, almost mad max like!

So much work tho mate, i'm sure this will be a keeper now after all this work? Not that you were planning on selling it anyway I know!

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Nice @Dr Jekyll

I haven't forgotten about the door panel stickers by the way. I am testing out some silver material I have as to whether it will print such small text properly.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Not trying to teach you to suck eggs mate, I worked in a bodyshop and as you know this stage of prep is key to a good job. Doesn't matter how well you put the paint on the prep is makes a great job or a dog.

Stripping the bonnet was a good move, saves rubbing down the stone chips and stops any sinkage issues and lots of layers of paint doesn't give a nice sharp finish.
We used to wet flat primer with 800 even for a straight colour this again stops any paint sinking into the sanding mark's

I think I'd be tempted to strip the quarter panels being as they have had paintwork in the past. ?

Not at all mate. I'm kinda new to it all and to be honest, I'm being guided through it.

Yes I know it's all in the prep work. Good paint will show up bad prep so best get it good beforehand.

Yeah we did decide on paint stripping the bonnet for that reason. It's a little harder elsewhere. The painters are confident that more can be doen kn the rear but not all to bare metal. The sills was the only other parts, due to chips as you know.

Ooooooh. Looking nice. I need to sort my front bumper out. Got scuffs all over. One from some woman reversed into my car. Could do with a nice spray up.

I think once it's done, it'll look great. The bumper is normally the 1st thing people notice and the main thing to get abused!

Congrats on buying a new property, hopefully you aren't moving too far? Car is getting better, looks great with all the bit's missing ?

Staying local bud for a few reasons. Mainly children/family. For now anyway. Been saving a while and living at the in-laws, so it's nice to know it's played off. We have been gazumped twice in the last year so fingers cross it's 3rd time lucky!

Impressive work so far, interesting stuff.
O/T - I genuinely thought you had strawberry jam on your burgers!

Thanks mate! Yeah it does look like jam, but is relish!

That really does look cool with the no arches and bonnet etc, almost mad max like!

So much work tho mate, i'm sure this will be a keeper now after all this work? Not that you were planning on selling it anyway I know!

Yeah this is for keeps. I made the mistake of getting rid of my old ph1 and I know I've changed a lot on this so be silly to sell it now.

Some effort Mark going to look cracking!

I hope so Arran!

Nice @Dr Jekyll

I haven't forgotten about the door panel stickers by the way. I am testing out some silver material I have as to whether it will print such small text properly.

No worries mate. No sweat.

I actually want to ask you floor another one: the recommended fuel one that goes on the inside of the fuel flap.

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
Great updates as ever. The detail of the updates is also good as you can get a feel for the amount of work / effort that's being put in (which I'm sure is a lot).
Sorry to hear about the farmers loss and the impact it's had on timing but not wanting to rush is sensible to get the quality finish you're after.
Good luck with the next stages and looking forward to the updates.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Staying local bud for a few reasons. Mainly children/family. For now anyway. Been saving a while and living at the in-laws, so it's nice to know it's played off. We have been gazumped twice in the last year so fingers cross it's 3rd time lucky!

Sounds good, fingers crossed, will pop over when you have finished it and have a nosey ?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Looks great @Dr Jekyll.

What will you do for replacing the kickplates?

Where can you get stickers for the new grille? Someone reproducing them?

Thanks bud.

I was just going to use my original kick plates and double side tape them down again just like before. I dread to think how much they are new from Renault! Tbh mine are in good condition.

As for the stickers, I'm going to see if I can get them from Renault. I know you used to be able to a while back but they are discontinuing a lot of mk2 stuff now so will see if that are still available.

Great updates as ever. The detail of the updates is also good as you can get a feel for the amount of work / effort that's being put in (which I'm sure is a lot).
Sorry to hear about the farmers loss and the impact it's had on timing but not wanting to rush is sensible to get the quality finish you're after.
Good luck with the next stages and looking forward to the updates.

It certainly does feel like a lot mate and I'm only halfway through. I guess because it's after work and weekends, it's not constant so it takes longer than a day's work as such.

To be honest, the farmers father was expected. He lived on the farm and was a regular visitor. Really nice guy and always dropped us cake! He was 91 so good innings. As said, I'm using the farmers barn for storage so I can't complain. I don't mind, as long as my car is finalised by end of September at the latest as well both need cars when we move. Can be a pain sharing one.

Sounds good, fingers crossed, will pop over when you have finished it and have a nosey ?

Always welcome G.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't get much done on the RB last week as i was busy doing other things.

The bonnet has been rubbed down and is ready for paint. No pics of this. The bumper is now in the same stage.

42210964520_0e1843045a_z.jpg

42210963780_c4a9864683_z.jpg

The RB's current residence and state.

30151565408_3c852cf4b0_z.jpg

I did get the side skirts prepped and tonight i stayed on and got them primered.

43301240504_ff78223353_z.jpg

43971427962_85158fc305_z.jpg

30151564188_791f945466_z.jpg

43971397882_631437e26f_z.jpg

42210993390_018ed88029_z.jpg

30151538168_a507db1417_z.jpg

I've ordered new push clips for the inner arches and new torx screws for the inner arches to connect to the bumpers.

More soon.

Megane275R / 172 mk2
Love this car / thread. One of the best, great attention to detail, thanks for taking the time to document watch step so diligently!

There's something very cool about that photo inside with all the parts waiting to be put back on.
Car looks very purposeful there!

I was thinking the same thing!

You'll have to get all these photos (or the best ones at least!) printed off and put in an album Mark to add to the car's history folder, will be a fantastic document to look back on!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Love this car / thread. One of the best, great attention to detail, thanks for taking the time to document watch step so diligently!

Thanks for the kind words. I think the upload content is now out of habit but it's always nice to look back and read it, plus it may help others with help or inspiration.

There's something very cool about that photo inside with all the parts waiting to be put back on.
Car looks very purposeful there!
I was thinking the same thing!

You'll have to get all these photos (or the best ones at least!) printed off and put in an album Mark to add to the car's history folder, will be a fantastic document to look back on!

I agree chaps. I always thought the barn would be quite a artistic place when doing some shots and it's proved to be so. Got a kind of barn find look to it.

Got more done on the RB. The wings, door mouldings and spoiler was all in decent condition, so I DA'd them through the grades as there was no need for full primer. I used a small amount of primer on sections on where I broke through. All panels are good though so needed little work.

44191513162_a4e7a0533b_z.jpg

44191615812_0de50d9b17_z.jpg

44240387041_e443554521_z.jpg

42432694420_7b8656f5f0_z.jpg

More filler work and the car was prepped for primer.

43526316244_ca6f4b5c4d_z.jpg

44194828292_20884c7d43_z.jpg

30376554988_633452b4a1_z.jpg

Stayed late one night and masked it all up.

30373335418_2de203d4d7_z.jpg

43334887295_7c5a5192f1_z.jpg

43334954685_8d6d9a6f32_z.jpg

30373456888_b7f862a63f_z.jpg

And got in early the next morning with Will and it was etched and primered.

44191846132_4cf47f79f6_z.jpg

44192007132_a14a326277_z.jpg

42432999070_29b39d7105_z.jpg

43335159075_56956802c1_z.jpg

It's all primered now so we gave it a quick satin black guide coat and then I put it away in the barn for it to sit for a week or so.

43523507404_1e7febd782_z.jpg

44240865241_8fd0882a8f_z.jpg

The RB in it's current habitat next to the alternative daily! Good way to keep fit I guess when you haven't got a car and the missus needs hers. It's a 15mile ride each way to work so certainly gets the miles in.

44192068162_2e77e2d362_z.jpg

My replacement window seal and door light sensors came from @Mbeau. Thanks bud.

42433128590_f4038f3f48_z.jpg

43335249225_05846e8350_z.jpg

That's all for now. Myself and Emily are at CSF tomorrow and since CSS/CSF has started in 2011, I've never missed one yet but this year will be the 1st time I've been clio-less. Regardless it'll be great to catch up with all who's attending and as always it'll be a great weekend.

Will update more soon.

Last edited:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Went to CSF with this..... and the Nissan!

29372393927_8f86cf86ea_z.jpg

Had a great day and was great to catch up with old faces and meet new ones. As always, kudos to the CS admin for putting on a great event. Made me miss my RB though.

All my pics from the day are in here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58003155@N07/albums/72157700328315294

Got back and in between work and home life, i got a bit more done on the car.

One night, me and Will got the rear quarters prepped.

42742123520_48b1dc081c_z.jpg

30680638848_dc833d479a_z.jpg

43832987314_22f07e5f17_z.jpg

Then another night we got the doors prepped.

30680627058_24f4200148_z.jpg

43832980104_5378d103dd_z.jpg

All parked up in the farmers barn/workshop as my "normal" barn is being used for other storage at the moment.

42742252530_d9b12f1b7f_z.jpg

Prepped my wiper blank and primered it, then painted it in 2k satin black, left it for a few days, then flatted it and polished it. It looks gloss in the pics, but its more satin in person.

29617604707_d563f79479_z.jpg

42742146460_a7ec5d0bc0_z.jpg

42742142940_6525c898a5_z.jpg

42742140180_2ef101af59_z.jpg

@Louis linked me to a guy selling the left handed grill stickers. Renault dont sell them anymore so i bought one. Looks decent.

43833001504_9bf0f7f9b8_z.jpg

My old one:

43641493745_0d988fc00f_z.jpg

Just need to get this one now. Unsure if these are still available.

43832997634_f217a8f6bf_z.jpg

Also Renault no longer sell the front bumper stickers so i purchased a set from ebay in satin black.

43832995274_b9abbce103_z.jpg

Thats it for now. Need to get the boot and shuts done and then it'll be ready for paint. Unfortunately work has turned manic for a job to get ready, so i think the RB has been pushed back another week.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Didn't realise you bought one of those grill stickers Mark, look to be a very good copy. Shame about the other one. I could try mock you something up in PS one evening if you'd like.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Looks great, can't wait to see it finished, out of interest how much are the stickers? Was thinking of doing some replacement ones for the ones in the Ph1 on the sun visors as one has seen better days

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Major dedication on this Mark! Wasn't exactly shabby as it was.

On the wiper blank, you're better off with one of the new Kill All Wipers flush kits, very neat. Guy who runs it is close to me, going to go and see him and get one for mine once I have the car back.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member

On the wiper blank, you're better off with one of the new Kill All Wipers flush kits, very neat. Guy who runs it is close to me, going to go and see him and get one for mine once I have the car back.
They any good? I thought they looked a bit odd tbh. Quite like the blank to break up the rear end

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't realise you bought one of those grill stickers Mark, look to be a very good copy. Shame about the other one. I could try mock you something up in PS one evening if you'd like.

Yeah you linked me to them so o thought you saw me buy them!

Didn't know you could do that? I would still need to get it printed into a sticker?

Looks great, can't wait to see it finished, out of interest how much are the stickers? Was thinking of doing some replacement ones for the ones in the Ph1 on the sun visors as one has seen better days

Hey Gareth!

I paid £13. I could be wrong but I'm sure the ph1 one's are different.

Coming together nicely ??

Getting there Jon but seems to be taking it's time.

As above, cannot wait to see this finished!!

Me too Steve. Looking forward to driving it again now. Starting to miss it.

Paint it black, you know it makes sense ??

Been there, done that!

2018-09-10_04-48-22.jpg

2018-09-10_04-49-34.jpg

And before you mention it, yes I had turinis on it too ?

2018-09-10_05-41-56.jpg

Can't wait to see it finished Mark.

Me too Tom!

Cheers mate. Yeah I've seen those kits and I must admit they look quite nice. Not badly priced either.

They any good? I thought they looked a bit odd tbh. Quite like the blank to break up the rear end

I'll buy one and you buy my blank?

Post picz

Ditto.