ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JAMason's Clio 172

Clio 172
You can keep your wheels!! If you need to sell them get down mcdonalds and see if any of the car park crowd fancy a set of epic pimp "OZ" wheels! ;) I might save fitting the spill utter until I come back to yours, I understand you have skills at fitting them! Haha.

Clio 172
Old V New! :)

017FE3A1-D92D-4C92-9B79-0A31459D19E5_zpsrlrw6xqo.jpg

028A4D3C-67D6-4539-A073-A0DF60811922_zpsyor27sbf.jpg

CB6B7CD0-8FD9-4572-8B17-BD3412CD8A74_zpslnygcmlp.jpg

E320BA98-2933-4E85-9CD8-48654FA596F5_zpsslvvive0.jpg

CBDA5BA9-D068-4DF4-92FF-E3C7BEEFA7D6_zpsbtqqndqb.jpg

701F8C70-69E6-42D5-9CEA-53DB02E9E702_zpssyrfitjt.jpg

9ECB00D6-BA3E-4217-8E1E-992C38BD12FB_zpsvg2nqdoq.jpg

1A328F09-6A0B-4D6D-B0AD-92D11BBEDBA2_zpsihxrs0cq.jpg

Simple modifications make all the difference! :)
Jack

Clio 172
Plates clean it up no end! looks good!

Cheers mate! :) iv got a new exhaust hanger to sort the exhaust out and clean the back end up and a splitter to fit at the weekend! :) get the tyres sorted in 2 weeks and then ordering the belts to get fitted in the next 5k miles. Love this car!!

Clio 172
Just ordered some new rubber. Went for Kumho Ecsta HM KH31

KUMHO-ECSTA-HM-KH31-b.jpg

Pretty decent reviews and tick the box's. Was planning on getting the Avon ZV5 as I had a positive experience with those on my Audi TT 225 but these were £8 cheaper a corner and had better reviews, a better wet grip rating and seem to have a better life span from what I had read. The fuel efficiency was a grade lower than the Avon but it's the same as the ones that I have fitted and the're knackered so shouldn't make a difference or might actually improve from those rubber bands!! They also have a lower road noise rating so might make the drive to work and back each day a bit less annoying (My 3.5" exhaust might have other ideas! :p)

Jack

Clio 172
Wish the weather was better! Got a driveway full of toys today!

BB74A9DF-18B6-403A-8E87-6F6D9A4F4292_zpsq10pcwng.jpg

mini under the sheet has some new bits to fit, the 205 needs some prep before it gets viewed tomorrow to sell it and the Clios need a clean! There is a prodrive scooby off camera as well that would benefit from a good wash! :p

I also had my tyres fitted and they are good. So much so my rears now need sorting because the lack of traction they have is terrifying. Rear wheels broke traction the other week at really low speeds in the wet! Will be rotating them tomorrow! :)

Jack

Last edited:
  Clio 172
Spent the last few months saving and talking to a few different people and decided to get the belts and dephaser seen too this coming few weeks. Iv just ordered my Dephaser pully, once that arrives I will be popping the car to Birchdown for Andy and Steve to get it all sorted for me. Their prices are good and iv read nothing but positive reviews from their service.

Once that's all sorted...work will probably slow down as I will be saving for my first house... I do want to get a few things done to the car though so will try and divert some funds from other places!

Jack

Clio 172
Very tidy wee 172 for the miles it has!

Cheers. should be even tidier once the dephaser and belts are done. :) Gave the interior a full wet vac and wash at the weekend and its come up lovely, driver seat is showing its age now though unfortunately. :(

Clio 172
Nice motor just bought a clio ph1 172 myself only live up the road from you as well I might c you about

I do like a good PH1. Was originally in the market for one but they are hard to come across in good condition and in the price range I had. Settled on the PH2 and I do love it. :) I will keep my eyes out for you around Chester then, hardly ever see any Clio Sports around here. There is another PH1 with some (not to my taste!) stickers along the bottom of the doors and some BK wheels on it owned by a local mechanic but thats the only one iv seen.

Jack

Clio 172
Checked the fluid levels and that today and decided it would be a nice idea to give it a full service.(oil was looking rather black!) Ordered all my oil and filters from CP4L for £53 including new plugs and pollen/cabin filter. If the weather is decent next weekend I will have it all done and then it will just need the belts doing and as I have said, I plan to have ordered them this coming couple of weeks and will be finding a time around my work to get it booked in to have them all changed.

Not washed it for 3 weeks or so now and it's still beading nicely and as we know, stickers make cars go faster so there has been a couple of additions!! :p

01F1A17B-8289-4B99-B3DB-AAC028B54962_zpsa6llefxy.jpg

179B6757-0DC6-4432-A738-34EC01624C4F_zpscmmvcilc.jpg

Jack

Clio 172
Great thread mate, really enjoyed reading that and some excellent pics. (not a massive fan of the HDR'd ones though, bit too much :p )

Keep it up.

Cheers pal, thought it was pretty boring to be fair! Just lots of cleaning and not much else at the moment! The fun stuff is about to begin though... Just had a delivery of all the service bits from CP4L and they are all present and correct (I have had issues with them before sending the wrong parts or forgetting to put some stuff in the delivery!)

I have also just handed over another wedge of cash to Adam at @renault Wolverhampton for a genuine cambelt kit, aux belt kit and the cylinder head seals. This should give me everything I need to fully service the engine in the next couple of weeks. :D Once thats done, its suspension o'clock... I will spec up a few options and see what the budget lets me have! :) Tempted to just go with 172 cup dampers with new top mounts and bump stops but if the money is there for some Konis...then maybe I will spend a little more and upgrade to these! :p

With all that done, it brings my progress list to something like this:

Tyres - Done
Timing belt kit - Purchased
Cylinder head seals - Purchased
Dephaser pulley - Purchased
Auxiliary drive belt kit - Purchased
oil filter - Purchased
5litres elf oil - Purchased
Top mounts and bearing
Rear brake discs with spacers and bearings

Pipercross panel filter
standard airbox -
Done
172 cup dampers
Front wheel bearings
Tracking/Alignment
aux input/iPod connector

Jack

Last edited:
  Clio 172
Parts are all here... car is booked in for the 29th of July with Birchdown Auto Service to have everything fitted and have a full service while all the belts and that are changed. :D

Jack

Clio 172
I left the car at Birchdown this evening. There was a nice looking black 182 parked up outside so dumped mine next to it.

The car I have been given for the courtesy car is amazing! Clio grande, it's been a while since I have driven a car that has no power anywhere through the range! Makes me appreciate the 172 more, that's for sure!

Jack

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 58

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Haha I had that Green beast!

Had my belts done there a few weeks ago looked under the hood today and hey have cleaned my fuel rail and inlet it looks brand spanking new, cars in good hands!

Clio 172
Haha I had that Green beast!

Had my belts done there a few weeks ago looked under the hood today and hey have cleaned my fuel rail and inlet it looks brand spanking new, cars in good hands!

Iv heard they are top lads, that's why I have taken it there. Having it fully serviced as well and they are going to look at my exhaust and see if it can be properly aligned to make it look less crap, and also inspec the car to give me a proper list of jobs that I may want seeing to in the future. I'm excited to go pick it up tomorrow night!

Did is you provide your own parts or have them provide them? I have zero idea how much it's going to cost me tomorrow haha, be nice to have some sort of idea! :p

Jack

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
They provided everything I also had the rocker cover resealed and the car MOTed by them.
I don't like putting up what I pay for things as a matter of principle.

A

Clio 172
They provided everything I also had the rocker cover resealed and the car MOTed by them.
I don't like putting up what I pay for things as a matter of principle.

A

Cheers for the PM. Gives me an idea of what I'm expecting tomorrow then! :p I'm looking forward to getting it back tomorrow, if only to give the green turd back! I'm either expecting a long list of things they think need doing, or a pleasant surprise of small things that aren't major! Haha.

Jack

Clio 172
looking clean pal :)

Cheers! Its a right grot box at the moment though. Needs a really deep interior clean to try and lift some of the smell out. It was sat for a week with a bucket of damp cloths in the boot during the heat... Smells of wet dog now! Will be sorting it out on Friday after work. The front bumper doesn't show the scratches at all either in the photos. Its got a few scuff marks where the previous owner has caught it, it's still pretty tidy overall though and does its job of driving me about! :)

I'm already clock watching! I want to go and get it back asap!

Jack

I left the car at Birchdown this evening. There was a nice looking black 182 parked up outside so dumped mine next to it.

The car I have been given for the courtesy car is amazing! Clio grande, it's been a while since I have driven a car that has no power anywhere through the range! Makes me appreciate the 172 more, that's for sure!

Jack
Don't go dissing the Clio grande, its gets me from a to b haha

Clio 172
Can't say mines that bad tbh, gets up the gears pretty fast, saying that I've had the engine apart and cleaned it all but

If its all you have known then I can see it feeling fairly nippy and rev happy but put it this way, its not a 1*2! ;) The difference is biblical!

Jack

Clio 172
Got the car back. Feels amazing, sounds loads healthier and I have a nice little to do list between now and next MOT. Properly chuffed and the guys at Birchdown are brilliant and really accommodating. :) surprisingly cheap as well for the amount of work involved as well! And best of all, they have sorted my exhaust out! Chuffed with the service and will be back in the future!

CA48FF05-7605-4DF1-9096-D8EA6E012220_zpsjlpwuiln.jpg

Going to give the car another good wash at the weekend and get it all spanking now!

comments welcome!

Clio 172
Not much has changed in the last 6 months since I last posted on here. Managed to cover 4500 trouble free miles in it and as a result, I've not changed a single thing!! Only issue I had was my front fogs stopped working and my rears were temperamental! With my MOT this month I spent today fixing them. Turns out I had the usual stalk issues of a snapped cable for the fronts and a loose one for the rears. A quick solder and its all fixed now!

DSC_0129_zpsf41fb5c2.jpg

DSC_0130_zps1343bb4c.jpg

But like I said, I have just been enjoying it the rest of the time!

IMG_8411522745112_zpsfeb0b3bd.jpg

IMG_8433999388436_zps6904c123.jpg

IMG_8442515997444_zps81df6ee4.jpg

Oh, and I got some lovely new Renaultsport mats!

DSC_0098_zpsac7aaf9e.jpg

DSC_0097_zps62b7c596.jpg

Jack

Clio 172
Another small detail changed on the Clio this weekend. Swapped my sidelights for some Cree bulbs. Love the look and the match is good to the xenon white.

4bf5ab2ce48f6300d94ad1086f03bdda_zps8584f900.jpg

be41b1d4aae7b5e64b3a7a894cb7547c_zps66005072.jpg

I'm also toying with the idea of and have been talking a friend with a vinyl cutter about putting on a set of cup racing stripes off the mk3 Clio cup racer onto mine... A poor photoshop but you get the idea. It's cheap enough to give it a go I think, something like below!

906501cfabb0037daf62405343ffb5ea_zps20c1c242.jpg

Jack

Clio 172
A few people have said that about running no side lights, I like it with the Cree. Each to their own though.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Not a fan of the stripe at all. Looks too try hard, I know it's just a photo shop but I'm trying to picture it looking good on the car but I can't :(

This was my inspiration for my car btw! Read through this thread when I first got my car :)

Clio 172
Not a fan of the stripe at all. Looks too try hard, I know it's just a photo shop but I'm trying to picture it looking good on the car but I can't 😧

This was my inspiration for my car btw! Read through this thread when I first got my car :smile:

I get you, I wouldn't normally go for these sorts of things but as it's only going to cost me about £10-13 in vinyl and a couple of hours of mine and my mates time on the laptop and cutter, I might as well give it a go. This was my inspiration. It works well on Racing Blue, guess we will find out if it works on iceberg. If not, I can pull it off easy enough.

Got a couple of other plans as well, mostly refreshing bits to make it drive better but may get the wheels done in graphite as well this year. They need a refurb and I can't decided between silver or graphite!

DSC_5770.jpg

Clio 172
It looks s**t on rb too

Just because it's cheap and 'different' surely you can see it isn't going to catch on lol

Waste of time Imo

Aren't you a ray of sunshine... It might end up looking totally s**t, it might end up looking ok. For the sake of £10-15 I will try it and get some photos and gather opinions then.

At the end of the day, it's my car and I want to have a bit if fun with it!

I was thinking of doing something similar to mine. Was thinking of doing graphite grey gordini stripes like on the RB Clio's (theirs is white though)