ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITB'd Road & Track Ph1 Titanium 172

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Re: Ph1 172

I guess so. I'm worried about finding the pistons rings and bearing shells needing doing too when its all in bits.

Yeah mine isn't mint enough for me to worry about binning it

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Head off and bottom end looks mint! TBH I'm not even 100% it was even the head gasket leaking. Oh well its off now so get the head freshened up, bolt it all up and crack on with the rest.

Shame I'm going to miss the track day, only way I can make it is if I don't go ahead with the gearbox build with the Quaife but its all paid for.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Head is now with ALDevelopment in Leeds. Fred is sorting me out with some Supertech valves and I've done a deal on some AT Power ITBs.

The ITBs will be in storage for a while though whilst my wife uses the car. I'm in no major rush to get them on this year, I'll do it over the winter/spring.

I spoke with KTec about the Gen90 and they should have adapter looms ready for it at the end of August so I can swap between the standard ECU and the Gen90 with no issues.

Looking forward to getting the car back together, missing it at the moment!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Its a KTec recessed exhaust, nice and quiet with two silencers. Got a 182 exhaust trim to fit in the bumper when I get the car back.

I think the nicest looking exhaust on the Ph1 is the Pure Motorsport one. Fraser has one fitted I believe.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Some of the headwork in progress :)

Image0562_zps3bfd42c3.jpg

Image0566_zps257ace08.jpg

Image0567_zpsf3841bca.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Ohhhhh, some money being put into this mate.

Great work so far and im glade your keeping it. :)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I've got an EC1 ECU but I think I'm going to sell it and get a Gen90 in September time as KTec are doing an adapter loom so its plug 'n' play in a ph1. Don't fancy splicing it into the loom, just haven't got the time or patience any more.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van

Bring on the trumpets :) Given them a clean and now they are going into storage for a while

IMAG0853.jpg

IMAG0852.jpg

Glad you got them sorted.. If I see anything else il give you a bell haha.. May need some advise from you on a few things you have had done :) when you coming down or do you want me to drop of them tools we keep having lose of communication Tom.

Clio 172 Cup

:cheers: Looking good Tom :p Quick question, did you not fancy going down the turbo route?

Mec 350 slk manual

I've got an EC1 ECU but I think I'm going to sell it and get a Gen90 in September time as KTec are doing an adapter loom so its plug 'n' play in a ph1. Don't fancy splicing it into the loom, just haven't got the time or patience any more.
I have the same itbs , I thought the gen90 was a straight fit but all you had to do was change a few pins around and plug it into the same loom ?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Sent the ITBs off to AT Power as a couple of the throttle plates had play in the fittings. Should get those back soon.

There has been a delay with the gearbox but the old diff and 4.06 crownwheel are with Quaife at the moment.

Waiting on the Supertech valves to get the head finished.

Just want it back together :race:

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Phoned Quaife wondering what was taking so long. "I'm sorry we won't be able to look at it until the week beginning the 8th of July"...

Half tempted to f*** them off and get a refund. I haven't had the car for 4 weeks already, missed the f***ing summer

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Yes its been nice up here, had a couple of rainy days but that's it. No car though. Why are people so, SO f***ing slow.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Head should be here tomorrow :) so in preparation for the engine going back together I painted the rocker cover, breather and matched inlets. Also cleaned the sump.

IMAG0885.jpg

IMAG0886.jpg

IMAG0888.jpg

Got some gearbox oil for when I get the box back.

IMAG0887.jpg

I got my ITBs back from AT Power. They've had a full service, balance and new throttle plates and layshaft assembly :D Cleaned and oiled the ITG filter for the ITBs but I'm worried that it's a bit deep for a Ph1, I guess I'll have to try it first.
IMAG0875.jpg

IMAG0874.jpg

Went down to the garage on Saturday. Rear discs, pads and bearings are done, along with the braided lines and ATE Super Blue fluid.
IMAG0872.jpg

Car is looking like this at the moment :(
IMAG0873.jpg

And my battery turned up, nothing of it! Going to go to Maplin sometime to get a solar trickle charger to keep in the car. I ordered a cage and wiring to put it under the passenger seat so before I get the ITBs fitted I might relocate the air filter.
IMAG0889.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Not the best pictures, could have done with better lighting.

IMAG0893.jpg

IMAG0894.jpg

IMAG0901.jpg

IMAG0902.jpg

IMAG0890.jpg

And with the ITBs :D

IMAG0896.jpg

IMAG0897.jpg

IMAG0899.jpg

Got the bits to put the battery under the passenger seat.
IMAG0903.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Thanks Andrew, the work is spot on as always. I took the head down to the garage yesterday with some more gaskets and the head bolts should arrive today so the engine can go together.

I've been pestering Quaife too so hoopefully the diff will be done this week, not next week. Once I know that's done it shouldn't take long to get it all back together and I'll get the car booked in at RS Tuning for a remap.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Happy days, diff has been done at last and sent out today! So should be fitted to the box early next week and I'll have the box back late on next week.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Engine is back together, forgot to get a picture of it whilst I was at the garage. I'll get one soon.

I got this with the help of Mark (NorthloopCup)
IMAG0920-1.jpg

And these from Cooksport
IMAG0918.jpg

Gearbox is built up, not sure if its been shipped yet though. Going to check on that this morning.

Car is booked in with Paul @ RS Tuning for August 2nd to do the remap.

The ITBs are up for sale at the moment. If they sell, they sell. If not I'll probably fit them next year but I'm looking at getting a tidy Mk2 XR2 with a friend to make into a proper dedicated track car so the money from the ITBs would be handy.

Also my wife if doing her driving test on August 1st and if she passes she may have my mums old car. Unfortunately my mum lost her fight with cancer 2 months ago and we were going to sell her car on. Its a 2010 Fiesta Fusion 1.6 auto on 9k miles, we've been offered £4k for it....so if my wife passes she's going to see if she wants to keep it instead.

Given that, I may make the Clio the track car instead of the XR2. Not sure yet.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Sounds great mate, im looking forward to it's RR day.
When im ready ill be doing cams, ARP rod bolts and getting the head done same as you.

Id like you TB but my c/cards hurting a bit at the moment..lol

Sorry to here about your mum. :(

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Sounds great mate, im looking forward to it's RR day.
When im ready ill be doing cams, ARP rod bolts and getting the head done same as you.

Id like you TB but my c/cards hurting a bit at the moment..lol

Sorry to here about your mum. :(

Me too :) 180-185 bhp would be nice, hoping the torque is pretty good rather than the power figure.

tbh I'm hoping no-one buys them!!

Its ok, She had bowel cancer for 2.5 years and the amount of ops and heartache she went through was incredible. She had a bowel screen done that said she was all clear and then a couple of months later she was diagnosed with bowel cancer. Brilliant screening they've got...

Then after her 1st op to remove it they gave her a scan to make sure it had gone. They only went and scanned her chest and not her bowel. NHS at its best...So she thought she had the all clear and then it came back in the bowel.

So they tried chemo, that nearly killed her so she couldn't have that. Radiotherapy didn't help.

She fought till the end though, never complained and always put on a brave face and played with the grandchildren. That's probably the hardest bit, when they keep asking for her or we go and see my dad and go looking for her.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Just paid for the gearbox rebuild.....it's cost £600

Gearbox parts and rebuild were £375 (that's new bearings, synchros and some other parts)
Cup 4.07 crownwheel and pinion £100
Delivery, collection and sending parts to Quaife £ 25
Vat £100

So with the diff as well it's cost £1500....

Clio 172 Cup

you roll like p diddy lol! personally id do the clio as a track car rather than the xr2!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

My mate is going to buy the XR2 on his own as a daily so I'll stick with the Clio.

ITBs should be going tomorrow :( hope I don't regret selling them.

Engine is ready to drop in more or less. New crank seal, billet flywheel, clutch and box to bolt on then it can go in with the 182 manifold :)
IMAG0930.gif

Here's the gearbox, doesn't look like £1500 worth....better feel like it when I'm driving it.
IMAG0929.gif

Clio 172 Cup

Tom's XR was running a frs turbo engine.

Yea I know, we went similar spec when his was n/a 2.0 zetec. Managed near enough 200hp out of mine. While I still have most of the xr2 if I wanted a track car I'd do it to the clio, just handles so much better. But I guess it does come down to personal preference as to weapon of choice. As I did see someone in an auto ford Scorpio at Combe this month :/