ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is you clutch creaky?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Im still of the opinion this is cable/pedal related and that all greasing does is lighted/smooth out the load ever so slightly.

im sure the engine being warm wont affect the innards and lubrication of the clutch release bearing

J
ok but how come after I lube the fork pivot point and the fork/release bearing area (although that is a tricky spot to get to) the creak is gone for couple of days, even if hot outside?
I'm sure that changing the cable sorted the problem for some people but that's not always the cure

2003 Clio 172
ok but how come after I lube the fork pivot point and the fork/release bearing area (although that is a tricky spot to get to) the creak is gone for couple of days, even if hot outside?
I'm sure that changing the cable sorted the problem for some people but that's not always the cure

As i said, the load is decreased (usually temporarily) on the cable, that part that i think is doing the creaking.

I dont think that heat soak would make the metal/nylon ball inside the bell housing nor the release bearing or face creak.

Surely the only thing that could be affected by heat is the cable, it runs close to the mani doesnt it?

J

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
As i said, the load is decreased (usually temporarily) on the cable, that part that i think is doing the creaking.

I dont think that heat soak would make the metal/nylon ball inside the bell housing nor the release bearing or face creak.

Surely the only thing that could be affected by heat is the cable, it runs close to the mani doesnt it?

J
not sure how close to the mani my cable runs, as my car is LHD. What you are saying makes sense, but when mine creaks it sounds really close to the fork.
I just remembered that most renault services (or all of them I'm not sure) have a listening device, basically a metal pin connected to some headphones.
Where exactly do you think the noise may come from? Gonna do the tracking these days at a renault dealer and will probably ask them to listen the clutch (sounds funny eh?)

2003 Clio 172
not sure how close to the mani my cable runs, as my car is LHD. What you are saying makes sense, but when mine creaks it sounds really close to the fork.
I just remembered that most renault services (or all of them I'm not sure) have a listening device, basically a metal pin connected to some headphones.
Where exactly do you think the noise may come from? Gonna do the tracking these days at a renault dealer and will probably ask them to listen the clutch (sounds funny eh?)

lol......

I had heard, possibly on this forum, that the later revisions of the cable were said to address the creaky issue?

Theres not too many things that will creak like that to be honest and it certainly doesnt feel like a metal/metal creak.

Possibly the fork/nylon ball but again, doesnt feel like that.

Feels to me more pedal/cable based........but sure, who am I to say.

I may just replace the cable to see anyway, if its not an utter ballbag of a job that is.

J

172 cup- suzu rf600r
Mate, can you post a pic or details of the exact lube you used in case its speshal

?

J

Sorry took a while, this is what I used -

get-attachmnnentaspx.jpg

I used quite a bit of it in short bursts, both sides of the fork and the cable at that end for good measure, this stuff is super sticky so wasnt too worried about it running down on to the friction plates

"Navy" N17 TWO
Tried putting some spray grease on my spring above the pedal today, made the dam thing worse!! :(

S4 Avant
The nylon bush that the clutch fork pivots against is where it creaks. Remove the clutch fork gator and spray some grease around the back of it. Ideally that nylon bush needs replacing whenever you get the chance to take the box off.

wd40 is no good as it just burns off. Even lithium grease evaporates with the heat. I've tried sprayable copper slip the last couple of times but that just wears thin and starts squeaking again

FF Clio 182
My clutch is on about 2k and still going strong ;)

Doesn't the clutch seem to get heavier the more miles it has done? Could think of a better way to word that.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'd rather walk than try to fix every little squeak or rattle on mine.

Mine's on about 105k, original clutch/gearbox afaik and occasionally creaks when hot.

Renault Clio 1.4 16V
yeah the other day I noticed that the clutch cable was making a creak, I hope it's not a real issue. clutch is fine, I have 72000 miles on the clock. I'm changing my oil this weekend.