ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this MPG on my 182FF about right?

So I've just done a 190 mile motorway journey. Was late at night with very very little traffic. Had cruise control on 75mph all the way, never went above 80. Just me in the car.

Stats:

Car trip = 37.8mpg
Average speed = 60.8mph

Filled up before I left (until the first click) did the same on arrival = 23.95 litres
Therefore 36.2mpg

Should I be getting a lot more than that? The car is 100% standard.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Are you expecting more?

If one thing can be said about RS Clio's, it's MPG. It's a two litre petrol engine, a highly strung two litre petrol engine. Be greatful of anything north of 30mpg around town.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
I wouldn't say a LOT more no, depends on the conditions etc but as above the 1*2 is remarkably good on fuel for a highly strung 2.0 engine IMO. What fuel are you using?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
ive never been one to really bother about fuel consumption but my 200 used to get to me!! although id still have it if it wasnt for the issues i had with geometry!!!!

nor me to be honest, but this is getting on my nerves. I've had 300bhp cars which will match this for consumption.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Mines terrible for some reason I mean I only do a 5 mile journey to work so the car barely gets up to temp but 25 is about average over a few days of driving to work and back. Same journey was about 30 in the ph1 172.

Will reset it on my way to Bedford tomorrow hopefully it gets a better figure over a long drive.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
42mpg when filled trip reset - reset and cruise at 60mph choice is yours have fun or count the pennies

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Mines terrible for some reason I mean I only do a 5 mile journey to work so the car barely gets up to temp but 25 is about average over a few days of driving to work and back. Same journey was about 30 in the ph1 172.

Will reset it on my way to Bedford tomorrow hopefully it gets a better figure over a long drive.

Adam,

I'll have some bits with me at bedford so I'll take a look if you like? Not taking everything but I'll have CLIP and my mini-scope

Mick

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Adam,

I'll have some bits with me at bedford so I'll take a look if you like? Not taking everything but I'll have CLIP and my mini-scope

Mick

Sorry Mick I didn't mean the trackday, going over to 519 today lol, I posted that at 1 thinking it was yesterday :eek:.

Sorry for confusing you there. Appreciate the help though :).

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
My 172 hits 36mpg but I know the timing is wrong because I set the inlet slightly advanced... should see an average of 38-40mpg on a run if everything is right with your car.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I reckon you should see be seeing over 40 mpg easy based on that trip , Maybe your timing is out as said above , When were the belts done ?? maybe lambda ?

2002 172
I have been using Road Trip LE and over the past 2 weeks the calculations for my driving come back at 28.08mpg which is mainly 6 mile trip to work and then back again, same distance to the mrs house and back again and a few 1.5 mile trips to and from work when I stay at hers. The fuel gauge seems to go down very quickly from the top of the tank but I don't think that's too bad seeing as I have my heaters on full heat nearly all the time at the minute. Also, the air temperature will have contributed to mpg's in my opinion. I do need a new dephaser pulley so will get booked in with Mick to have that and belts done and see what happens.

I hardly ever see it hit 30mpg in my 182. I do lots of town driving but also do a long trip 30mile trip with hardly any stopping and still don't see over 30. I get around 28/29.

Always have done in this but yet someone else i know with a 182 gets around 33/34 with town driving too. hmmm.

172 Cup
im getting around 28/29 in my 172 Cup, all town driving or short trips. People getting over 40 in a 172 Cup... Really! Maybe i have something wrong, lambda sensor or mybe new plugs and leads? One thing i have noticed is my 5k kick seems a lot less compared to when i first got the car but maybe iv just got used to it...

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I hardly ever see it hit 30mpg in my 182. I do lots of town driving but also do a long trip 30mile trip with hardly any stopping and still don't see over 30. I get around 28/29.

Always have done in this but yet someone else i know with a 182 gets around 33/34 with town driving too. hmmm.

Broken

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
im getting around 28/29 in my 172 Cup, all town driving or short trips. People getting over 40 in a 172 Cup... Really! Maybe i have something wrong, lambda sensor or mybe new plugs and leads? One thing i have noticed is my 5k kick seems a lot less compared to when i first got the car but maybe iv just got used to it...

probably broken

2002 172
To be fair, mine doesn't get more than 29...30 at a huge push sitting at 60 on the a1, sitting at 70 and it goes to 26-28mpg when on a run. It's been a little better since fitting a cat but I'm convinced the decat has shafted the post-cat lambda even though there's no light on.

Twingo Dynamique
This is getting a bit depressing... i have a little 1.2 ... and i get 38 careful driving and when on a long motorway run 70-75 it will slowly go up... or remain the same. But as soon as i get in the town it drops to 35... :/ if i could have a 182 that does the same mpg with nearly double engine size... * dreaming*

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
To be fair, mine doesn't get more than 29...30 at a huge push sitting at 60 on the a1, sitting at 70 and it goes to 26-28mpg when on a run. It's been a little better since fitting a cat but I'm convinced the decat has shafted the post-cat lambda even though there's no light on.

post cat lambda doesn't do anything! Something is very wrong to do 26-28 on a run in a 182. Very wrong indeed.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my 200 never one went above 24mpg but it was just a tool for going flat out everywhere it usually sat about the 21mpg mark and when out a blast was around 12mpg.

i tried not to pay too much attention to it, couldnt really tell you what i ever got out my 172's as i didnt bother but i was just forever in the petrol station in my 200 it broke my heart, £70, £70, £70

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
My old Ph1 iceberg would read 43mpg! Its a challenge to hit 40 in my 182, 15 mile straight run to work

If I drive my ph1 like Miss Daisy I can get about 32mpg to work and back (50mph dual carriage way with no traffic - 7 miles). On a long motorway run I can get it up to about 37-38mpg. I I feel it could do slightly better. The pre-cat lambda is new, so what else on the car can have an effect? I've read that the coolant temperature sensor can effect things, as well as timing. Anything else?

The other year I went to the Nurburgring in Ricardos' old white ph1, and we averaged 53mpg on the way there. From Southend to Nurburg on a tank, with enough left for several laps :cool:

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I'm no Lewis Hamilton but I don't chugg about so i'm quite happy with my mpg