ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this MPG on my 182FF about right?

Mondial 172Cup (A/C)
I just got average 47mpg sitting at about 70mph on the motorway just now in the Cup! I get about 40mpg cruising at 80-90!!!

Who needs a diesel?!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I went to Worcester and back today with joe, in his 182... Iirc he averaged 37mpg with a pops and bangs map on... Used just over half a tank...

if it was me driving I'd have got about 30-34 tops if I drove steady under 70 :(

god damn mk3s :(

I done a wee experiment when I got mine, because I heard a few people moan about how bad the tips are on clio's. But mine is only around 1-2mpg out compared to doing it over tanks.

Anyway here is mine:

150BC091-0043-4905-AA3C-E55944E37CBA-293-00000056374FDF59_zps1f7e1d2a.jpg

My car has a v6 filter, decat and a powerflow exhaust. Changing back to a standard air box/filter because I don't like the look of the v6 one, and will see if it makes any difference to the mpg at all....

My driving is generally about 70% on the motorway sitting at 60-70mph rest is just town driving/going for a wee blast every now and again.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Arg at people using done not did, makes me cry :(

My 182 over 36,077 miles did an average of 33.06MPG
Best was 37.66MPG
Worst was 18.00MPG

All readings over a tank full and worked out properly using the "Road trip" app in the iPhone.

BG Clio 182 - Recaro
Mine runs 32mpg in the morning as of no traffic but on the way home itl drop to around 30.5mpg

If giving it a bit it goes lowest around 28mpg

But on the motorway if i sit at 70, 80 and hold the revs i get 40 42mpg at 60mph its up to 50mpg nearly

Clio 182
(Just for Rollo) I done a very controlled/boring 60mph drive on Saturday. Turns out I can get around 45 mpg if I want to. Generally sits in the mid-30s though

I got 35mpg in my 1.2 when ragging it, my 182 gets me 30-31 mpg driving like miss daisy which doesnt happen often. Mpg does irritate me a bit, but then i think there are worse mpg cars out there.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Got back from the Forest of Bowland some 500 miles round trip mostly on the Mway - av. speed 60+, 35.6 mpg on Esso superunleaded/VPower. Ph1 on 188000 miles and running very lumpy.

arrr fook MPG, best iv ever seen was around 37 on a run, saying that at the weekend with a ph1 box i managed to do 220ish miles to half a tank which would of usually used 3/4 + with the cup box and also did higher speeds with the ph1 box, shame the gears seem abit 2 long at times

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
I've found that with the 182 it doesn't matter if you drive it like a Vicar or like you've literally just stolen it, it returns the same MPG.

That is around 28, so in conclusion.. It's encouraging you to drive fast because there is no real reward for being frugal

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Well.

I Ignore the Trip computer MPG numbers. Those are wrong 100% of the time.

If I fill up then do just motorway 70MPH and then fill up again i get 37-38Mpg, Depends on how many hills are on that stretch.

if I fill up then do my Daily commute which is 22Miles each way, 15mins Motorway/Fast A road, rest town I will get 32.5MPG

If I fill up and just do town driving I will see a return of 26-28Mpg.

I work it out at the pump, and IMO if you cant work out the MPG going off the Pump and Miles done then you need to sell up and live in a hole.
But if you want to work it out then.... Fill up. Take the L just filled and divide by 4.57 you will be left with the Gallons.
Then Divide Gallons by the Milage. You will have the MPG.
So for example: 320 Miles, Filled up at 44.35L
44.35 / 4.57 = 9.70
320 / 9.70 = 32.98MPG

MK3 Sport Tourer TCE
Well.

I Ignore the Trip computer MPG numbers. Those are wrong 100% of the time.

If I fill up then do just motorway 70MPH and then fill up again i get 37-38Mpg, Depends on how many hills are on that stretch.

if I fill up then do my Daily commute which is 22Miles each way, 15mins Motorway/Fast A road, rest town I will get 32.5MPG

If I fill up and just do town driving I will see a return of 26-28Mpg.

I work it out at the pump, and IMO if you cant work out the MPG going off the Pump and Miles done then you need to sell up and live in a hole.
But if you want to work it out then.... Fill up. Take the L just filled and divide by 4.57 you will be left with the Gallons.
Then Divide Gallons by the Milage. You will have the MPG.
So for example: 320 Miles, Filled up at 44.35L
44.35 / 4.57 = 9.70
320 / 9.70 = 32.98MPG

I do something similar, however I only fill up in multiples of 10 litres.

10 litres: 2.2 gallons
20 litres: 4.4gallons etc

Normally I only put 10 in at a time and aim to get to the magic 88 mile figure before the light comes on, then I know I've averaged 40mpg (88/2.2)

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I do something similar, however I only fill up in multiples of 10 litres.

10 litres: 2.2 gallons
20 litres: 4.4gallons etc

Normally I only put 10 in at a time and aim to get to the magic 88 mile figure before the light comes on, then I know I've averaged 40mpg (88/2.2)
thats a nice way, But due to the nature of the fuel light could be flawed.

its supposed to come on when there is 1 gallon left (4.57L) But i have seen mine come on when there was only 2L left! and other times when there was 7L left.

Nimbus 197 Full Fat
I am not saying your maths is wrong lol. I do put my foot down sometimes though I don't drive like miss daisy

MK3 Sport Tourer TCE
thats a nice way, But due to the nature of the fuel light could be flawed.

its supposed to come on when there is 1 gallon left (4.57L) But i have seen mine come on when there was only 2L left! and other times when there was 7L left.

Good point, I'd not taken that into account.

How have you been able to tell how much fuel is in your tank when the light comes on though?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
£25 gets me to Crawley and back sat between 65-75 (no cruise control), which is 64 miles each way. Whatever mpg that works out to be..

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Don't really take much notice and your rate of fuel is high I pay 1.09 not running on super
Wow where are you? Wish it was 109 here then it would be 1.14 for tesco 99 :tongueout:
I paid 1.19 for the last lot 😧

Also Gemma i cant reply to that inbox for some reason. But yes they are. There are many factors in play to get the reading the OBC has. And unfortunately that scews the numbers. Especially on the older cars.
The newer ones though are much more accurate.

Good point, I'd not taken that into account.

How have you been able to tell how much fuel is in your tank when the light comes on though?

WHen it comes on i get to a Petrol station ASAP and fill up. Its a 50L tank so i take the fill up L from the tank size to get the whats left number.

Nimbus 197 Full Fat
Woodville Swadlincote
Use Morrisons near me they dont do super but the car runs fine on normal. The only car I put super in is my Cupra 240 TFSI