ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is the RenaultSport Clio more efficient Fuel wise at higher revs?

Fiesta STripes
Having been shot to pieces elsewhere when I put up a statement that I have found out myself to be true, would you be able to give me a definitive answer that I can cut and paste to further support my answer?

I have found out that the 197 is better on fuel economy when it is being driven hard, but not stupid hard (mainly 3.5k to 5k) than when it is being driven changing up through the gears all the time...

Does anyone else have a technical reason as to why this maybe? Is it in fact true?

Thank you please in advance :argue:

Re: Is the ClioSport more efficient Fuel wise at higher revs?

TBH my findings are that is incorrect.

My girlfriend drives the car and changes up mostly at 3k rpm, and gets 30mpg. I drive the car and once warm give it a bit of beans, changning up between 4k and 5k and get mid 20s mpg.

Also, cruising on motorway at 70mph/3.5k rpm in 6th, get low 30s mpg. Cruise at 50mph following a mate back in a car likely to die any minute and got 50mpg!!!

Evo 8 MR

I get 24mpg lol, I don't change gear until 7k though.

I find they really drink it when you down gear it into 4th at motorway speeds and plant it until you hit 7k.

I do find it's rather good when doing say 50-60 on a smooth drive, around town though it's not the best.

With regards to the op 3.5k to 5k isn't high revs. :S

Fiesta STripes

Yeah, maybe it was the cold that day when I got 35,7 MPG average for the whole tank. I drove Inverness to Peterhead and back, never really got below 30MPH and never stopped, so thats why the MPG was epic I suppose!

Awesome bit of road too:)

RS Clio 182

I think if you let an engine labour then it is less efficient yes.

The RS Clio is obviously set up to rev quite high and may well be more efficient like that.

That said I rarely get my MPG above 20 apart from the odd motorway run so am not the best on fuel economy ;)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

I get 24mpg lol, I don't change gear until 7k though.

I find they really drink it when you down gear it into 4th at motorway speeds and plant it until you hit 7k.

I do find it's rather good when doing say 50-60 on a smooth drive, around town though it's not the best.

With regards to the op 3.5k to 5k isn't high revs. :S

WTF, do you drive everywhere on a Track?! ;)

Dont think i've ever seen that in a MK2!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182

I get 40mpg all day long at 70/80mph on A roads changing below 4k.

Giulietta 940

Mine seems to be stuck between 33.2 and 33.4... The latter being when I change gears a bit earlier.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member

Its not just about revs.
More speed = more friction = more load = worse economy..
=> Higher power output is needed to overcome the friction. Higher power efficiency at high revs (thats why it revs at over 3k for motorways). If you geared it so 70mph = 100rpm, well, the engine wouldnt be able to do it.

Titanium 182

when iv been sitting pandering along at 60 - 70 then reset the mpg meter, iv got it as high as 49mpg, was trying so hard to get 50 but couldnt. must of been a huge downhill bit

Clio 1970000000

Reset the trip before a motorway + A road journey in the 197 and got 32mpg. Another motorway journey and lots of fun miles (about 400 since resetting the trip) and I am now on..

24.9mpg :rasp:

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

The RS Clio is obviously set up to rev quite high and may well be more efficient like that.

That said I rarely get my MPG above 20 apart from the odd motorway run so am not the best on fuel economy ;)

Your car must be fucked then:S.

Evo 8 MR

WTF, do you drive everywhere on a Track?! ;)

Dont think i've ever seen that in a MK2!

I have two jobs, both no more than 5 minutes away and I have a lead foot.

When I go for a drive on the weekend I get around 36mpg with a mix of hoofing it and just cruising but that slowly reduces throughout the week to around 24/26 unfortunately.

Would wrong cam timing affect fuel consumption?

24MPG in a MK2 is impressive! Even my modified 172 would do high 20s - low 30s when giving it abuse.

A ANIMAL

No offence but thats absolute cobblers.

Mine will average 18mpg on a track day. you're telling me drive like that on the road!?

RS Clio 182

Mine will average 18mpg on a track day. you're telling me drive like that on the road!?

I live just outside Llandudno mate, most of my driving is done on the A470/A5 late at night when I've got the road to myself.

If you reset the trip computer and then boot it through the gears from 1st you get sub 10mpg no?

Starting to get a little worried by a couple of the comments here but I'm pretty sure my economy is simply down to the roads I have easy access to.

Nothing at the mo :(

im with you

i did a trackday in llandow the other month.. obviously flat out all the way round.. i reset it before i went on

And i got 17mpg.. so dunno how someone can get 20mpg on the road

A ANIMAL

I live just outside Llandudno mate, most of my driving is done on the A470/A5 late at night when I've got the road to myself.

If you reset the trip computer and then boot it through the gears from 1st you get sub 10mpg no?

Starting to get a little worried by a couple of the comments here but I'm pretty sure my economy is simply down to the roads I have easy access to.

NO!

i live in the country side, i drive every where as quick is as safe to do so and i get 35-40mpg without trying! Like said on a track day i seldom get out of 3rd, and have only seen sub 20 twice!

For two minutes, tops.

From the sounds of things, you are resetting your trip computer every day. I think most people in this thread are generally talking about average MPG over the course of at least a full tank.

PS 200

I'd be checking my fuel tank for leaks if I were you :eek:

The 200 is widely accepted as being the poorest MPG Clio - and I've never been anywhere near 20 mpg.

BG FF182

Been playing about abit with driving styles to see what MPG I get on my trip computer and have found that 2200 to 2600 rpm seems to be most efficient place to keep the revs, unless your sat at the traffic lights :rasp:

I know on the mix of A roads, and country roads changing gear before 3000rpm I can average 45mpg on a tank full. Yes it was boring to do, but proved I can save money if I felt the need to.

On long journeys at 60mph I can get over 50mpg

With a fair mix of country blasts, traffic and motorway crusies I tend to return around 35-40 mpg, depending mainly on how much traffic is about.

As for town driving I reckon I get about 12mpg :(

Although I have been sad and worked out that in the 15 months I have owned my 182 I have averaged 36.4mpg.

Astra SRI/ Hornet

Lol at t5 getting 18 mpg on track. You still sticking to the 70 limit. I've had my 182 upto 50mpg and 9mpg and never been on track, so it's not the car. Average I'd say between 25- 28 mpg but I don't use the car for work or anything just fun.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6

It sounds like someones got a knackered temp sensor or lamba.

Overfueling at low revs, therefore giving the illusion its better on the high revs, given its using the same amount of fule, lol

Peugeot 308

Think the highest I've had out of the Ph1 was 53mpg averaging at 50odd for 40miles.

BG V6, LY 182

The other day i had a long journey to do, so i thought i would see what mpg i could get.

It consisted of 320 miles, 300 of which were motorway.
Sticking the cruise control on at 70mph and not exceeding, i only managed to get an average of 39.2mpg.

Before this journey i was only doing 'town' driving, and over the course of 180 miles i got an average of 31.6 mpg.

Now i'm not sure weather or not to be disapointed at the motorway mpg, after reading other peoples comments?

3 Series touring

just so people get it...we are talking MPG over a tank (ish/long run)
not instantaneous MPG

A ANIMAL

The other day i had a long journey to do, so i thought i would see what mpg i could get.

It consisted of 320 miles, 300 of which were motorway.
Sticking the cruise control on at 70mph and not exceeding, i only managed to get an average of 39.2mpg.

Before this journey i was only doing 'town' driving, and over the course of 180 miles i got an average of 31.6 mpg.

Now i'm not sure weather or not to be disapointed at the motorway mpg, after reading other peoples comments?

Cruise control isn't the most efficient way of doing it

Nothing at the mo :(

I find this too, I find my car uses more Petrol when using cruise control, but on a 150 mile journey i cant be bothered to use the pedal lol

I drive mine granddad style...
I was getting 39mpg generally in the 172, although I did go for odd blasts.
In the 200, im getting around 31mpg atm.

This is all through changing gears around the 2000-3500 rpm.

Stripped yozza'd cup

There's something wrong with your car. You could drive it flat out and see that sort of mpg.

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
If I drive at 30 constant I seem to get less mpg that driving at 40, learning to drive from old people, you get set in the old way lol drive in 5th all the time and use less fuel because of leas revs but when in 5th although the car isn't struggling your in the wrong gear for the speed sometimes and I think it's that that uses more fuel, I'm probably wrong ;) :rasp:

Jamie

Rusty Cup

You say this but i cant for love nor money beat the mpg my cruise control returns on motorway runs. 60mph gets me close to 48-49mpg, i cant get that when i turn off the cruise control :S

VaVa
No, they're definitely not. They're much more efficient fuel wise 'off cam' using light throttle inputs.

What I can tell you is that my 172 is better on fuel at 80mph than my Leon is lol

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
I found 140mph is not very economical. who would have thought!

55mph and 2.5k revs seems to be a good sweet spot. As most of my journey to work is duel carriageways (though very hilly) that gets me 43mpg average for a whole tank. Obviously the car is doing more than that on the flats but i only measure brim to brim. Going over 60mph fuel consumption is certainly worse by 2 or 2 mpg and 70-80mph I can get mid thirties so there is no way the car is more economical. The only way is you have more momentum for hills so they are less labouring on the engine, but wind resistance cannot be beaten.