ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ian's 2004 M3

E46 M3
I thought the forum was lacking E46 M3 threads :wink:

I spent a long time looking for a high miles lateish car with good history. The thinking was the money saved on buying the car can go towards any subframe/vanos/smg issues. Most problems don't seem to be mileage related anyway.

I was set on the spec of silver grey with black leather, smg and mk4 sat-nav. I wasn't sure on the smg but i'd never had an auto before and fancied giving it a go.

I picked this up for a price starting with a 6 :cool: Full BMW service history apart from one at Thorney Motorsport, 4 good Continental M3's, loads left on brakes etc.

2015-01-18 15.11.25.jpg

2015-01-18 15.12.18.jpg

2015-01-18 15.10.55.jpg

The paint is the only issue and can be best described as tatty with poor stonechip repairs and rust in the usual places. Currently going through the warranty claim process for the rust.

I've done 3k in it so far with zero issues. Want sort the paint and some little things like new badges. Planning to keep it 100% OEM apart from the exhaust which was just too quiet.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Looks awesome Ian, a bit better than the Clio!
I want another, miss my old one.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I want one badly, just no hatch to put my bike in but I suppose a roof rack would make it a bit scene...lol

E46 M3
Love that! Nice piece of kit! But seriously, M3 plates on M3's are absolute faggotry.

I'm meh on the plate, it came with it and I didn't pay any extra for it.

I've played with a few bits software wise. Got the CSL smg software which is nice. I've changed the DME to adjust the throttle map, rev limits, rev limit lights and removed the dyno restrictions and speed limiter.

I've been playing around with NCS expert too and coded a few things like folding mirrors on the fob and indicator flash on lock/unlock.

Also added M-Track mode which is a half on TC setting, lets you have some fun without putting it in a hedge.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I'm tempted to sort the csl SMG software stuff out at some point too. Cost anything, or is it a case of laptop + software = fun?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Car is lovely mate. Really nice.

I'm tempted to sort the csl SMG software stuff out at some point too. Cost anything, or is it a case of laptop + software = fun?

You can do it yourself if you know how to. There's guys on Cutters who can do it for you remotely if you have the money, relevant software and cable. I had BMW code my SMG for £40 so it's now running the same software as the CSL, then a mate installed the CSL rev-matching DME which blips on downshifts etc.

:)

Lotus Elise
Car is lovely mate. Really nice.

You can do it yourself if you know how to. There's guys on Cutters who can do it for you remotely if you have the money, relevant software and cable. I had BMW code my SMG for £40 so it's now running the same software as the CSL, then a mate installed the CSL rev-matching DME which blips on downshifts etc.

:smile:
[OFF TOPIC]

How quick is the gearbox to react after the CSL software flash? I've been driving a DSG TTS and whilst the box is fast to change the gears the delay between the pull of the paddle and the change in the box is frustrating.

Also can you blip the throttle yourself if you blip the peddle as you pull the paddle? Porsche PDK does this and it's awesome.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
[OFF TOPIC]

How quick is the gearbox to react after the CSL software flash? I've been driving a DSG TTS and whilst the box is fast to change the gears the delay between the pull of the paddle and the change in the box is frustrating.

Also can you blip the throttle yourself if you blip the peddle as you pull the paddle? Porsche PDK does this and it's awesome.

It's pretty instant now, especially if you put it into S5 mode. It's much better. Reacts quicker than a manual.

E46 M3
I'd say it starts the change as soon as the paddle is released. The shift speed depends on the gearbox setting and how much throttle you have on.

I paid someone on cutters to do my csl softwsre as its a bit more involved than normal coding.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I have an exhaust for you. Its just the OEM back box which has been altered inside.... £100.

E46 M3
So to bring this to an end the M3 is dead :(

Spun a rod bearing at 128k. Will be having a baby next week so no time to sort it. I did whip the sump off to have a look but the crank was too far gone and would need a regrind.

Sold on eBay for spares or repairs, only lost about 2K on the purchase price which is cheaper than fixing it.

I've now got a Saab 9-3 2.8 turbo as a family car which will soon be mapped :)