ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

i think i have a ’herbie’ clio!!

Clio 172 Cup, Audi A

yep as the title suggests....lol

first instance...

when the 182 first came out I took my cup to my local renalut dealer(about 30 miles away) and went to go and have a look at the 182. Had a look round it, picked up the brochures etc then went back to my cup thinking that the 182 was a very nice car but unfortunately i was unable to afford the upgrade at the moment...

I then went to start my car and it refused to start...strange i Thought...so I went back in to the dealership and spoke to the salesman that originally sold me my cup and explained the situation...he promptly came out and saw my car and said "wow you have made the cup look even more amazing" (im not lieing...its what he said ok :D lol )

he sat in the car ( no more than 2 mins after i had) and it started first time for him...i didnt really think anything of it at the time. He suggested that I went down to the mechanics (they had moved location 2 days before) which was about a 2 minute drive away.

I went to see the mechanics and parked next to a brand new shiney 182 in yellow. I commented to my friend how nice the colour looked, then went inside and told the mechanics about the earlier problem,to which they said it was too late in the day (5pm) to do anything about it now..I then went to start the car again and you guessed it....nothing!!

instance no 2!!

on sunday I went up to blackpool (about 180+ miles from where i Live) to go and have a nice day out and to see the illuminations...

i drove through the illuminations (very nice i have to say :oops:) and then I noticed I needed some petrol..I then pulled into the shell garage to fill up (optimax of course ;)) making sure I had switched off lights etc.

once paid for petrol, I went to start it again and guess what....nothing!!! Aaaaaahhhhhh!! lol i then started to think Boll*cks and why is this happening (not the most comforting thought being so far away from home) I later found out that because of going about 5mph through the illuminations and constantly stop starting that i had lost the charge from the battery (not a clue myself, unfortunately im not mechanically minded so agreed with them :oops:) I was told over the phone to try again in 10 mins and if it still didnt work to ring the AA...

I tried it 10 mins later, and guess what......yep nothing...still... :cry:

i then (i know you are going to think im crazy....) started talking to my car saying how much i loved it :oops:and how i promised to never drive her hard again..

30 seconds after the previous attempt...turn the key and hey presto :D, she started!!

To say ive never been so relieved was an understatement...

I really think I might have a herbie clio :oops: (the people in white coats will eb along for me in a few minutes before you ask...;))

Tom

Nissan Jewk

My old Pug 106 was the real herbie... smething screwed up with the idle and it used to rev on its own... the feeling of the accelerator pedal hitting the floor on its own just as your feathering it is worrying!

Clio

yup thats a defo herbie .

its cuz youre trying to get rid of her . lol

tell her u will never sell her and how much fun shes given you give her a wax and a kiss

THEN SHE SHOULD WORK FINE . lol

williams and trophy

lol...class

bet the salesman thort u were a rite dick too...lol

he wants a 182 but cant even figure out how to start the 172 lol

BMW 320d Sport

LOL I thought you were going to say youd front-ended a pedestrian and they were still trapped under your bonnet! Or that your Clio had separated into two parts and you saw the back end overtake you :p

How disappointing to find it was an intermittent electrical problem ;)

Clio 172 Cup, Audi A

Quote: Originally posted by Nick Read on 29 September 2004

LOL I thought you were going to say youd front-ended a pedestrian and they were still trapped under your bonnet! Or that your Clio had separated into two parts and you saw the back end overtake you :p

How disappointing to find it was an intermittent electrical problem ;)

please dont tempt fate nick!!! lol :eek:

Clio 172 Cup, Audi A

just went to start it again and it seemed a bit hesitant to start.......

any ideas?

Thanks..:oops:

(and no i havent looked at changing the car at all today :oops:)

Octavia VRS

Quote: Originally posted by toms_cup on 29 September 2004

just went to start it again and it seemed a bit hesitant to start.......

any ideas?

Thanks..

(and no i havent looked at changing the car at all today )
my car did something similar a couple years back - some connection to the immobiliser had rusted and sometimes the car wouldnt lock/unlock as well as not start sometimes. One time I was leaving uni and the car just wouldnt start a good few times (Im talking at least 10 attempts, at least!). So I call the RAC man who tells me he has a similar Clio but he will try and start the car himself before he attempts anything under the bonnet. First bloody time and the f*****g car started!!! He said at the time it was just a loose connection but olly looked under the bonet 5 mins max as it was raining heavy!

A week later tho and the car wouldnt start again so RAC was phoned and this guy told me exactly what the problem was and gave me a tow to the Renault garage. Water on the road that had came up the engine bay had made this connector to the immobiliser all rusty so it wasnt sparking.

Its been all right since, touch wood!