ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I’m eighteen, with a bullet!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yep, i know what im like go and buy myself some 2.0 turbo jap thing and id wrap it round a lamp post the day i got it.

possibly a golf GTi to start with, but nothing faster

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP
Martin_89 said:
to be honest even if i won the lottery i wouldnt buy anything like an F430 or SLR, somthing like a 1.6 for a year thats still resonably nippy then after a year get a 2.0 then work your way up.

If i won euromillions so i won £40 million.... i would have a veyron on my drive if i could get it... if u have money use it just be careful.. an trust you be cause its worth so dam much :) i would have a 612 Ferria aswell :) for my normaly car :> oh an a Wildcat Bowler for off roading :)

laughing at ur 1.6 :)

Think of the style you could get :)

Golf GTI 1.8T
Martin_89 said:
yep, i know what im like go and buy myself some 2.0 turbo jap thing and id wrap it round a lamp post the day i got it.

possibly a golf GTi to start with, but nothing faster

are you a pants driver then? any body can handle any car, it only goes as fast as you make it, be silly with it and it will bite you in the ass!

Sinclair C5
Amy R said:
I sense some real anger from some of you on this topic!! Yes, the lad's 18 years old, but it doesn't automatically make him a liability! The worrying types on the road for me, are those young kids that drive round on them bloody mopeds at 16 years old!! There's masses of them around my area - less protected, less visable, and far more suseptable to any sort of danger.

You enjoy the car love, just be sensible...remember how much money you've invested in this little beauty and don't throw it away (or wrap it around a tree!!) ;)

it does make him a liability, thats why his insurance is 3k

I presume your comment about anger was not directed at me as I have vented no anger, just a point of view.

Last edited:
  Sinclair C5
racing182 said:
Agreed, i drive better than lots of my mates who are in there early and late 20's, its all about the driver age has nothing to do with it. Some people on here piss me off

thats what we've all thought at some stage or another......

how can you say age has nothing to do with it, if that was the case why ain't 18 year old lads paying the same as 40 year olds for insurance?

Sinclair C5
ben_p said:
i had mine since i was 18. never had a bump touch wood,i drive that car hard, age can not used to discriminate drivers, there are people who jsut cant drive, and people who can, if the goverment put a restriction to 1200cc, as if anyone under 21 will drive only under a 1200cc. that would just promt me to drive with out insurnace

no way im i more of a risk than a 30year old in a 172! why would a 30 year old buy a 172 ? because they like the looks and biuld quality......no there good fun hot hatchs, with people drive hard.

1200cc was a suggestion. Granted you have had trouble free motoring but can't you see that if that was the case in the majority of your age group insurance premiums would be circa 3k, i think not.

Sinclair C5
Scott-16v! said:
:boring: Fetch my pipe and slippers.
were not all irresponsbile young tw*ts who hang around in maccy d's with our crew doing burnouts and buying chips from ebay for £2.99 to add an extra 50bhp.
I personally find it disgraceful that people like yourself can be so small minded as to want to put a limit on what engine size a person can have until they are a certain age. I hope you realise there's just as much if not more older irresponsible tw*ts on the road that are over the age of 30.
Who are you to judge how capable somebody is of handling a car, once again somebody who is much older can still be a sh*t driver, somebody could do 20k a year and still not know how to react on the road to certain conditions and situations.
A further point is that somebody who is willing to pay that much insurance money and the purchase cost of the car is going to be a lot more careful how they drive and treat the car than somebody of the same age with a sh*tty old fiesta xr2i that they bought for £250.
I'm sick of people being sterotypical, trying to discriminate against people and labelling everybody as the same.

its the way of the world mate, get used to it.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Re: I’m eighteen, with a bullet!

warine_warrior said:
1200cc was a suggestion. Granted you have had trouble free motoring but can't you see that if that was the case in the majority of your age group insurance premiums would be circa 3k, i think not.
yer and i know jsut as any w*****s in your age group, jumping on r1's, stis etc,, been driving rovers all there life they get one of these or a rep car n driver like w*****s

Racing Blue 182
warine_warrior said:
thats what we've all thought at some stage or another......

how can you say age has nothing to do with it, if that was the case why ain't 18 year old lads paying the same as 40 year olds for insurance?

Because insurance companies need to make a profit and know that 18 yr olds will pay to have a nice car insured

Street Triple R
Mondial172 said:
Plenty of 30+ w*nkers with company BMW's that drive like c**ts!

My cousin had an Evo 2 at 19 and never put a foot wrong. Although he is a racing driver.

not at the moment though :(

Der Panzer
Saying you'll take it easy in a Cup is far easier said than done. Mine hasn't bitten me yet but I'm expecting it to. For goodness skae be careful mate, we don't want to see you on the news.

Enjoy.

P.S. £3000? :eek: Mentalist.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
i think the phrase "its all down to experience" comes to mind here.

:p

and 3grand on insurance ?! wow. my mate paid 3.5 grand on his vts when he was 18 but he had 10 points, a disqualifaction and a write off to his name lol.

needless to say he now has more than 12 points and has been banned for 2 years thank god.

Sinclair C5
racing182 said:
Because insurance companies need to make a profit and know that 18 yr olds will pay to have a nice car insured

what a load of tripe, its because 18 year olds are more of a risk, Please tell me that comment was a wind up ??

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
LOL i had a Sapp Cossie at 18....1200quid fully comp..!

Had some great times in it and never crashed it......Cup quick yes but its big hp rwd cars that are the real challenge for the youngsters....especially in the wet....!

I think the thing to remember here is that statistically younger drivers have more chance of an accident. Clearly not every 18-21yr old with a powerful car is going to write it off. But if you gave 100 18year olds, and 100 50year olds a cup each, which group do you think would have written off more after a year? Thats why insurance is higher for younger drivers..

Im a young driver myself. Personally I consider myself to be better than a lot of older drivers I know, but there are some shocking teenage drivers out there.. and also some shocking middle aged 3series drivers etc. Just the older drivers will have a bit more experience...

ta mitch. common sense really isnt it. sure everyone has some moments they can think back to when they were learning to drive/just passed and thought, 'sh*t that was close, wouldnt do that again'... its just a learning process..

Golf GTI 1.8T
Yeah I got a years experience when on my ped at 16 so you see a lot of situations so when they happen when your learning to drive they dont surprise you....My instructor commented on how much easier it was to teach me and my mate who had both been on peds and done a full bike test compared to the rest of our mates, we both passed first time within 4 months and it took the rest a lot longer.

It is frustrating. To get in a car with elderly people who have really poor car control skills and you're clinging onto the door as they're driving, and then you realise they're paying about £200 a year in insurance lol. But at the end of the day, its the fact they dont take unnecessary risks I think that makes their insurance cheaper. Whereas I would guess a lot of accidents at 18-21 occur from people pushing their cars too hard etc. Its annoying when you know yourself that you can drive, and that if you had a fast car you would take it steady and only push it where appropriate, yet still insurance is a silly price. I cant see it changing any time soon though..

3 MPS
congrats on the purchase mate , i miss my cup for the pure fun factor and its colour , one thing tho , how u get a 5.5 to 60 ?

Sinclair C5
Hector said:
ta mitch. common sense really isnt it. sure everyone has some moments they can think back to when they were learning to drive/just passed and thought, 'sh*t that was close, wouldnt do that again'... its just a learning process..

here here, Hector for prime minister!!!

this was supposed to be quoted from your prevoius quote, sorry :-(

:eek: oh if I ran this country.. lol, there would be some changes... :approve:

I can just think of some corners for example that I'd taken at speed and skidded a bit, which could have turned out much worse.. and it really makes you think.

I quite fancy a cup as my next car.. but theres the sensible side of me that says.. go full fat.. i really cant decide hehe

Sinclair C5
Karlos69 said:
Engine restrictions by age would just be another prime example of Nanny State medling. Why can't people be free to decide what's right for themselves, rather than have unfair restrictions and limits placed upon them?

Why do they do it with motorbikes then? because its saves lifes of course, if they did the same with cars the deaths in under 21 year old male drivers would come down too i'd imagine.

Its not about being PC.

to be honest, I know its more likely that someone is going to crash in a fast car... but its peoples mentallity that needs to change on this really. I dont think engine restrictions are the way forward, its still possible to have a pretty nasty accident in a 1.0 sure you will agree!! Maybe some kind of additional test which would also bring down insurance and some images of crashes would soon stop people going for top speeds in their cars wouldnt it.

EDIT: The other thing is how would they go about limiting the engines, for example, lets say, all under 21s have to drive a 1.4 or less... are starlet turbos allowed? and if you then go on power, are the police going to go about investigating the power output of every car to check its not modified? Its not so much that I disagree with the idea certain age groups shouldnt be allowed too much power, its just how to implement it effectively.

Last edited:
  Mégane RS
they couldnt do it, only way i see them doing it is not to insure people of that age with a certain car

Golf GTI 1.8T
Hector said:
EDIT: The other thing is how would they go about limiting the engines, for example, lets say, all under 21s have to drive a 1.4 or less... are starlet turbos allowed? and if you then go on power, are the police going to go about investigating the power output of every car to check its not modified? Its not so much that I disagree with the idea certain age groups shouldnt be allowed too much power, its just how to implement it effectively.

Again I come back to.... WHY DO WE HAVE TO DO IT ON MOTORBIKES THEN!?!

same thing, legally you are ment to ride a restricted bike (to 33bhp) for 2 years if you pass your test under 21. But there is no one out their to check that, you get a restriction certificate to say it is and thats what you send off to the insurance companys, but that doesn't mean youve kept the restrictors in there ;)

so the people that keep the restrictors in are people like me that worry too much about if they have a crash the insurance company will have the bike inspected and find no restictors = invalid insurance = no pay out for my £2k bike plus whatever damage I've done elsewhere.

so it could work on cars, theres loads of people out their driving with mods that invalidate their insurance, so would you risk doing it just after youve passed your test when in 2 years you could have an unrestriced license to drive any size car say?

the reason you have it on bikes and not on cars is because if you do have an accident on a bike, no matter how small, you are more likely to end up with some kind of injury. In a car you are much better protected, so unless you drive like a t**t you arent going to get yourself killed.

Golf GTI 1.8T
granted yes thats true, but why is it restricted only for under 21's??

you can have an accident on a bike at any age, and yes it's probably gonna be a serious injury. And I've got loads more experience of riding bikes than some bloke having a mid life crisis, decides he wants a bike, goes does his full bike test and jumps on a 1000cc bike :S it's totally wrong!!

your right, but the goverment seem to think that past 21 you'll be more sensible. Personally i think ALL driving, bikes and cars, should be restricted by experience, not age.