ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How Much Neg Camber Is Achievable With Std Shocks?

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
As above, with or without camber bolts, with standard shocks on lowering springs?

And also what is recommended for trackday use?

Thanks.:D

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I used camber bolts with mine and achieved about -2.5 degrees, but i've heard a rumour you can use them top and bottom for even more camber?
Fred@BTM have you ever done it?

Clio 182 FF
Is this just done by replacing the top one of the bolts at the bottom of the strut, then getting the tracking done?

Is this just done by replacing the top one of the bolts at the bottom of the strut, then getting the tracking done?

yes usually the top bolt is replaced for a camber bolt.tracking is different to camber setup and a regular tyre shop wont be very helpful with camber setup.in my experience they are not that good at setting tracking either. setting camber with a bolt shouldnt alter your tracking whereas adjusting camber with top mounts greatly affects the tracking

Clio 182 FF
How would I accurately change camber then? Would it be using trail and error and a spirit level angle measurer?

Cup In bits
Tracking will be affected with camber bolts you can be sure of that, any camber caster change moves the steering arm in, out, left or right to the rack so you'll definitely need the tracking done after.

I keep posting this pic and the same spiel but I have had nearly 5 deg on one side with the bolt In the top hole pushing the wheel inwards at every adjustment.

This is just over 4 with standard top mounts, shocks, wishbones and Eibach sportlines.

http://s142.photobucket.com/user/mgsweede/media/null_zpsb1ddea4d.jpg.html

mk1 Octavia VRS
Mine is at about -2 degrees and could be adjusted more.

Not sure about DIY measuring but I managed to set both sides evenly myself just by lining the bolts and washers up the same. Adjusting camber will affect the tracking but not as much as lowering it. When I took mine to Mark Fish to be set up they measured the camber when the car was on the floor then put the front end up on axle stands and measured the camber with the suspension fully extended. They then used the difference between the measurements to set the camber so it would be about 2 degrees on the floor.

Tracking will be affected with camber bolts you can be sure of that, any camber caster change moves the steering arm in, out, left or right to the rack so you'll definitely need the tracking done after.

I keep posting this pic and the same spiel but I have had nearly 5 deg on one side with the bolt In the top hole pushing the wheel inwards at every adjustment.

This is just over 4 with standard top mounts, shocks, wishbones and Eibach sportlines.

http://s142.photobucket.com/user/mgsweede/media/null_zpsb1ddea4d.jpg.html

with a bolt tho would it not be a minute change if any as your not moving the strut like you would with an adjustabe top mount??

Edit: im wrong sorry. iv just googled some images of clio front suspension and i didnt realise the steering rack is connected to hub. i thought it was connected to strut. sorry i dont have a clio so i was thinking of how a civic works on the front with camber bolts as iv worked on them. on my focus i have adjustable top mounts and have no option of them on front but have the bolts on the rear.

il just jog on now

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
The wheel mounting face (hub)moves the same if you do it on the top mount or on the strut bolts. The wheel has to move the same to reach a given degrees of camber so the hub also has to do the same.

fyi camber is not read from the strut its the wheel face. Reading from the strut is the KPI (king pin inclination)

edit: yeah that's true of most Hondas and some other cars with the rack bulkhead mounted.

The wheel mounting face (hub)moves the same if you do it on the top mount or on the strut bolts. The wheel has to move the same to reach a given degrees of camber so the hub also has to do the same.

fyi camber is not read from the strut its the wheel face. Reading from the strut is the KPI (king pin inclination)

edit: yeah that's true of most Hondas and some other cars with the rack bulkhead mounted.

on a civic the rack is connected up on the strut so altering camber on the hub bolts does not move the strut in or out like top camber mounts so tracking is mostly unchanged. i can see on the clio the rack connects to the hub which creates a different effect on the tracking. i did know about where camber is set and wasnt implying its read at the strut. its just if you move a stut in towards the engine to add neg camber the rack cant move accordingly so you get a huge toe change.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
When its on the strut it normally effects it more not less, although it depends on exact location.

On a Nova for example the difference in toe when you change the camber is HUGE!

When its on the strut it normally effects it more not less, although it depends on exact location.

On a Nova for example the difference in toe when you change the camber is HUGE!

i agree the difference is huge when you adjust camber on a top mount with rack on strut but with the camber bolts its not the same effect. with bolts the hub tilts back but the strut stays in relatively the same position. im prob not explaining myself correct chip as im a dunce really lol.

on my brothers type r we fitted adjustable top mounts and camber bolts.for anyone interested we modded cheap bmw mounts instead of expensive honda ones. when we moved the top mount in for camber the toe in was so much that the rack did not have enough adjustment to bring the toe back out.it was shocking toe in. the rack had to be a modified one to make it work.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i agree the difference is huge when you adjust camber on a top mount with rack on strut but with the camber bolts its not the same effect. with bolts the hub tilts back but the strut stays in relatively the same position. im prob not explaining myself correct chip as im a dunce really lol.

on my brothers type r we fitted adjustable top mounts and camber bolts.for anyone interested we modded cheap bmw mounts instead of expensive honda ones. when we moved the top mount in for camber the toe in was so much that the rack did not have enough adjustment to bring the toe back out.it was shocking toe in. the rack had to be a modified one to make it work.

No I was refering to use camber bolts, when you do so you are effectively putting a bend in the middle of the strut, so anything on the strut moves in or out accordingly.

I had a camber adjustment slip on my corsa mid bend at camp corner at combe and it was a dramatic enough effect that you can see it suddenly steer the car in the video and then it promptly spat me off the track at huge speed.
Thats strut located steering arm.

No I was refering to use camber bolts, when you do so you are effectively putting a bend in the middle of the strut, so anything on the strut moves in or out accordingly.

I had a camber adjustment slip on my corsa mid bend at camp corner at combe and it was a dramatic enough effect that you can see it suddenly steer the car in the video and then it promptly spat me off the track at huge speed.
Thats strut located steering arm.

ah ok i see what your saying it does make sense. il bear that in mind in future.