ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how many cup fatalities this winter?

Fair enough, you & bump are more important than somone's cat. I'd have done the exactly the same. Hope you can get the bumper sorted without too much aggro (you should be ok)

172 cup
Fair enough, you & bump are more important than somone's cat. I'd have done the exactly the same. Hope you can get the bumper sorted without too much aggro (you should be ok)

Cheers mate! I'll get some pics up when she's looking good as new again! :) you never know i might even give her a wash as a treat!! lol. :eek:

Yeah, i'm going to use the same company that sorted out my dent in the side... :) they did a proper decent job last time so touch wood they'll be able to sort this for me to :D

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Cup
All this Cups are dangerous in the winter is just a pile of bull. Ultimately its down to the driver and treating your car and the elements with respect. I have never had any ABS or brake assistance full stop and i have driven through worse weather than this in my BMW 318i...as long as you don't drive like a hero you will be fine!!

ignoring the ABS red-herring, i find the Cup's brakes exceptionally sharp/immediate in this weather - drove mine on the fresh snow the other day and was having to be ridiculously light on the pedal to avoid either of the front calipers grabbing. don't think i've driven anything else with such an immediate pedal (are the ABS equipped cars just as sharp?)

not a patch on other parts of the country, but today's been the worst for it round here, as we've now got frozen rain ontop of the snow and there's black ice about, too (very dangerous, as the road looks clear and you've probably the least grip of all on black ice) - just can't be 'too' careful really

Titanium 182
I'd rather not have ABS in the snow, pisses me off. You're trying to gently feather the brake and GUJGUJGUJGUGJUJ pedal's all over the shop.

smoking; just noticed that my car's slid about 4ft down the slight incline on my drive:rolleyes:. the works Transit was sliding away from me whilst i was getting out of it on occasion earlier as well

not had rain ontop of snow here for 10-15yrs that i can remember - huge variation in the levels of grip available on any one surface in conditions like this

182 FF
The other day I locked my cup 3 feet away from the kerb, nowt I could do and it bent the subframe doing 10mph, the car just went away from me so I dont think its down to the driver. I regularly do trackdays in it and I think I'm reasonably competent at driving. I've had evos, pulsars and a 500hp plymouth roadrunner drag car with a welded diff and never known a car like the clio for snap understeer. I still love the clio tho but want a 4x4 for the winter!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Well i live in the soft south which hasn't had as much snow and ice as the rest of the country, but my Cup is still alive and well.

My trick is to drive.....another car. With snow tyres on.

All cars are at risk in this weather. The ones driven by numpties, even more so....

Evo 8 MR
Am I right in saying ABS doesn't work on ice anyways, therefore is a cup really at risk than any other car?

172 cup
never had any probs with my cup for the two winters i've owned it, as said. Respect the conditions and you'll avoid the ditches

VaVa
All the Cup owners getting defensive! Bless!

The fact is the Cup IS going to be a bit worse to drive. It has the same width tyres as the other variants, yet less weight 'pushing down' onto the road. Stands to reason they will be a bit worse in slippy sonditions imho. You just need to take this into account though.

Right on one thing though, it is down to the driver ultimately. It just seems that most Cup drivers are a bit s**t, hence the high number of total loss claims rasing the insurance costs.

LOL at the cup being more dangerous.

My car has no electronics in it what so ever. Hence why I slow down and take more care in these conditions.

Just because your car has all the driving aids in the world doesn't mean you wont slide in the ice/snow, or even someone sliding into you.

As said above, don't drive like a hero no matter what car you've got

Clio Cup,Leon 1.8T,Eunos
I managed to drive my cup 550 miles, in down to -13C, in snow, in ice yesterday

what's the big deal?

[/hero]

182 Trophy
What is it with people who think its dangerous because it has no abs etc, theres no wonder people can't drive if they rely on all driver aids just to gfet them to work and back, my cups been fine. Had 106rallyes in the past which have even less inside.

S3, Polo
All the Cup owners getting defensive! Bless!

The fact is the Cup IS going to be a bit worse to drive. It has the same width tyres as the other variants, yet less weight 'pushing down' onto the road.

Thanks for your informed and educated contribution. You must work for the Government?

I think the Cup owners getting 'defensive' are actually realists. A Cup is no worse to drive than ANY other car in this weather. FACT.

In these conditions, another 900kg isn't going to make a discernible difference to a car's ability to stay on the road - regardless of having "the same width tyres as the other variants" - if it's being driven by a tool. :rolleyes: By that token, a fully laden truck would never crash on ice. *sigh*

I think of one word when we have weather like this: Darwin.

Last edited:
  172 cup
Cup or no cup.... if you slide on ice you have no chance (apart from trying to keep the car in a reasonable straight line and hoping) until you find a patch of road again and get some grip!

Thanks for your informed and educated contribution. You must work for the Government?

I think the Cup owners getting 'defensive' are actually realists. A Cup is no worse to drive than ANY other car in this weather. FACT.

In these conditions, another 900kg isn't going to make a discernible difference to a car's ability to stay on the road - regardless of having "the same width tyres as the other variants" - if it's being driven by a tool. :rolleyes: By that token, a fully laden truck would never crash on ice. *sigh*

I think of one word when we have weather like this: Darwin.

Cheers for putting that matey, that saved me the hassle of typing it out! :)

But yeah pretty much what Ben has put really settles this pointless thread.