ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how fast is a 1.2 clio

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 06 January 2005

Neither Robb or Fred are saying a 1.2 is quicker than a 172.

They are saying that in there experence theyve kept up with them round tracks. Once on a corner (under braking) having an extra 100bhp make no difference! Robb and Freds car both have upgraded brakes and springs which are far better than the ones on a standard 172.

Like I said before a LOT is down to how ball the driver balls (only an expression ladies) are!

My friend only has a 100bhp Astra but is totally mad and is a bit of a tasty lane driver. He was all over the back of a 330ci the other day - i kid you not.

Nothing to do with the car - Hes just mad!

Thanks for some support, youre right, i didnt say i beat a Focus RS, i said i was pushing it along..i.e he couldnt shake me off, i didnt say overall i was faster than him.

I like the emphasis on my name but it is just Rob ;)

-Rob

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 06 January 2005
Quote: Originally posted by admob on 05 January 2005Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 05 January 2005 i know of a 1.2 16v clio that will upset many cups/172/182s around the track and also round the twisties!!!it all very well having the power, but if the car rolls like a fishing boat in the atlantic, you aint got sh*t TBH!!!slower cars better setup will 9/10times be quicker round the track
[/QUOTE]

cough cough splutter!!!!, excuse me, ive just choked on my dinner!!!!, 2nd day back at work after xmas and thats the best laugh ive had all year!!!

ive just had a 1.2 over xmas as a coutesy car, they have no power whatsoever and handly like a balloon!!,, your superfast 1.2 will have to be heavily modifed to get anywhere near 172/182 etc... which in efffect means its not a 1.2!
[/QUOTE]Wager my boy????(he obviously hasnt seen the video of me leaving the 172 around the track!)std engine with just exhaust

I got to say when I drove Freds car around a track it is def one of the best clios I have driven for handling!...it corners fast and handles like a dream :D

My moneys on Fred !

Volvo S60 D5

Quote: Originally posted by HazzyP on 06 January 2005

And as far as the "why buy a 172 if the 1.4 is just as fast" this is only true up to bout 50-60 then my mates 172 will pull on me. But since I dont go faster than that anyways, for legal and sanity reasons, I dont need a 172 really!

And yes weve tried draggin up to 60 many a time and theres nothing in it really, just depends on grip and shift, past 50-60 his higher bhp really pushes it on, thats the difference! <SCRIPT language=javascript>

The 1.4 16V is 0-60 in 10.5 seconds, and the 2.0 16V is 7.0 seconds. Ive never tried my 1.4 against a 2.0 Clio, but my Volvo T5 (0-60 in 7.0 seconds) feels a LOT quicker than my 2003 1.4 Clio, so Id imagine that the 172 driver isnt trying that hard?

was in my kitcar with dad the other day (around 7 secs to 60 so far) and got a saxo vtr full of chavs going past us off a roundabout and shouting out the window thinking it was quicker....... it just so happens we dropped a couple and screamed past them (they stopped shouting then) but not everyone drives at full pelt all the time.... so unless you know for sure that there were really trying (they said) then i wouldnt be sure they were

give the 172 a set of slicks and id say it would def take the modded 1.2 even with standard suspension :D

Quote: Originally posted by Clio1400 on 06 January 2005

And as far as the "why buy a 172 if the 1.4 is just as fast" this is only true up to bout 50-60 then my mates 172 will pull on me. But since I dont go faster than that anyways, for legal and sanity reasons, I dont need a 172 really!

And yes weve tried draggin up to 60 many a time and theres nothing in it really, just depends on grip and shift, past 50-60 his higher bhp really pushes it on, thats the difference! <SCRIPT language=javascript>

The 1.4 16V is 0-60 in 10.5 seconds, and the 2.0 16V is 7.0 seconds. Ive never tried my 1.4 against a 2.0 Clio, but my Volvo T5 (0-60 in 7.0 seconds) feels a LOT quicker than my 2003 1.4 Clio, so Id imagine that the 172 driver isnt trying that hard?

nah its just that im better at launching and he just spins up in his! LOL Past 50 as I say he gets away!

Oh yeah and I can hang with him, not beat him lol.
<SCRIPT language=javascript>

[Edited by HazzyP on 07 January 2005 at 12:20am]

Remapped derv Golf

Few months back a couple of lads in a 1.4 16v had a go at me - from the looks of their face they knew the Cup was gonna destroy them - which it did. They didnt even keep up till 20 let alone 50.

172, Tiguan

Obviously it depends on the track, but somewhere tight and twisty Rob and Fred have a valid point.

<!-- ZoneLabs Popup Blocking Insertion -->And as far as the "why buy a 172 if the 1.4 is just as fast" this is only true up to bout 50-60 then my mates 172 will pull on me. But since I dont go faster than that anyways, for legal and sanity reasons, I dont need a 172 really!And yes weve tried draggin up to 60 many a time and theres nothing in it really, just depends on grip and shift, past 50-60 his higher bhp really pushes it on, thats the difference!<SCRIPT language=javascript></SCRIPT>

your mate must be the worst driver in the world to not be able to see you off up to 50 mph, you only wheel spin for a fraction of a second with the esp turned on , then the 172 will destroy a 1.2 all day every day all night every night. this isnt about driving skill but you could give michael shuemacher a std 1.2 and i would bet a lot of money i would beat him to 60 in my std 172 every time!

have to agree straigh drag races the 172 will take apart a 1.2 everytime. however on certain roads/tracks a well driven or well set up suspension wise 1.2 could be a nuisance.

VaVa

lol...... on a tight twisty track, peak power makes little difference. Ive seen freds car (when it was still a 1.2 lol) and was blown away by how it went round corners - awesome.

Ive posted on here before, when driving tales was still around, about how I was stuck behind a zetec fiesta (not the S) with a girl at the wheel through some fast B roads. Once up to speed (i.e. over the legal limit) you need a lot of road to overtake someone or a MASSIVE power advantage. I kept with her without too much difficulty, but would have struggled to pass her without out braking her and cutting her up with is hardly something to do on public roads...... She knew the roads well, I didnt. Makes all the difference.

With that, Im off to Renault to order meself a 1.2 16v extreme...

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 07 January 2005

have to agree straigh drag races the 172 will take apart a 1.2 everytime. however on certain roads/tracks a well driven or well set up suspension wise 1.2 could be a nuisance.
two exact car but one has better tyres. the one with the good tyres will whoop the other. Proven the new lardy 1.6fsi vw golf has beaten a 300+hp monaro around the a track in the wet by 4 seconds. how ???? the monaros have high performance tyres simular to racing slicks so couldnt put even 1/4 of the power down. the golf with its wet weather tyres made simple work of the whole task (it was on a piston heads report on the main page a few months ago).

a 172 or 182, can never be kept up with by a 1.2 unless the 172/182 driver is driving safely or a cant drive at least half as fast as the car is capable off. The suspension (not just springs the whole chasis setup) the tyres, the throttle response, the greater torque, the more power, better stability programs the list continues..

1.2s have a place. but it isnt racing.
oh and im talking stock for stock, not coilovers or nos addons to a 1.2 unless you allow for a 182 to have a 50shot of nos and KW variant coilovers.

[Edited by cliotuRS on 07 January 2005 at 1:27pm]

Clio 182

<!-- ZoneLabs Popup Blocking Insertion -->And as far as the "why buy a 172 if the 1.4 is just as fast" this is only true up to bout 50-60 then my mates 172 will pull on me. But since I dont go faster than that anyways, for legal and sanity reasons, I dont need a 172 really!And yes weve tried draggin up to 60 many a time and theres nothing in it really, just depends on grip and shift, past 50-60 his higher bhp really pushes it on, thats the difference!<SCRIPT language=javascript></SCRIPT>

Thats rubbish, ive battered a new shape 1.4 16v with 5 people in the car ffs!

Quote: Originally posted by 182 sport on 07 January 2005

No way can any 1.2 1.4 stay with a 2.0 clio
just ask y0z2a, fred left him behind, and we all know that y0z is a decent driver (quickish laps of the ring are proof enough)

P

peterh2

Yes but if we are comparing cars its only fair to discuss standard vs standard otherwise there is no point at all in comparing 2 cars.

A silver one

With 4 of us in the car, a bootful of luggage and a full fuel tank I had just under 110 on the M6.

Quote: Originally posted by peterh2 on 07 January 2005

Yes but if we are comparing cars its only fair to discuss standard vs standard otherwise there is no point at all in comparing 2 cars.
not neccessarily

a 1.2 16v original cost IRO £7k, add coilovers @ £800, 17s @ £700 = £8500

cup original cost £11k(ish)

saving of £2500 for just as much fun

set up properly the 1.2 16v will beat the 172/182/cup all variants round most twisty circuits, which IMO is where the real fun can be had, i dont really care for outright speed, as in this country you cannot use it, id rather own a car that handles like its on rails (the cup is good, but far from great)

P

peterh2

Yes but you will never actually be able to overtake in a 1.2 as that requires a bit of power!

Remapped derv Golf

Not all the time.

Havent you ever been on the motorway and wondered how people get certain cars to go so fast?

Like seeing a mk1 fiesta 1.1 in the fast lane doing 100

When I had mi Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo before mi 182 a Saxo VTR tried racing me on a country road (leagal limit) and it was hard keeping up with it 2.0 Turbo 220bhb vs 1.6... It all depends on road and conditions. On straights it had no chance what so ever...

Its down to the driver and the tyres. My tyres are shot to pieces so if a 1.2 (with more than 0.8mm tread) tried it on while on a twisty road im sure it would have no problem keeping up as i cant go round the bends at more than 45 mph/

Quote: Originally posted by admob on 07 January 2005

<!-- ZoneLabs Popup Blocking Insertion -->And as far as the "why buy a 172 if the 1.4 is just as fast" this is only true up to bout 50-60 then my mates 172 will pull on me. But since I dont go faster than that anyways, for legal and sanity reasons, I dont need a 172 really!

And yes weve tried draggin up to 60 many a time and theres nothing in it really, just depends on grip and shift, past 50-60 his higher bhp really pushes it on, thats the difference!<SCRIPT language=javascript></SCRIPT>

your mate must be the worst driver in the world to not be able to see you off up to 50 mph, you only wheel spin for a fraction of a second with the esp turned on , then the 172 will destroy a 1.2 all day every day all night every night. this isnt about driving skill but you could give michael shuemacher a std 1.2 and i would bet a lot of money i would beat him to 60 in my std 172 every time!

First off ive got a 1.4 16v not a 1.2, second off I said I could stay with him, hang with him ,not beat him.

Clio MK3 1.6 Dynamique

I have a 1.2 clio 16v, and its awesome :) Ive never realy had a FAST car, as i havnt been driving that long, but the clio is my 2nd, and its a nice speedy/stylish car! :)

My first was a Vuaxhall Corsa 1.2 .. Which wasnt bad, but i prefer the Clio anyday

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

me 2 my clio is sound eats sxis n 1.4 sxs there nippy for a 1.15 lol n well kited out...............but a 172/182 is in a different world, lol

my first car was the 1.2 16v Sport (the original), they were rare when i had mine back in late 99. I loved it but i never thought it was fast, but it did look the nuts when pulling in the petrol station.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

mien is the original 2 are the dynamics? (cant spell) sports or not what are the differences??

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

My first clio was the dynamique 1.2 16v- which was 13sec 0-60& i did manage 120mph out of it once but it was down hill& it took about 3weeks 2 get there. I traded that in, in june for a 172!! Its scary as sh*t to make that sort of change. But so much more fun!!!;)

Used to have a Clio

i managed to do 110mph on my new clio on the M1 right after i went past 500 miles on the clock....just to see if it would do over a 100...and it did...but i slowed down as i didnt wanna get caught...:D

just got back in from a driving lesson with dad, i got 16 and he got 15 seconds

and as a seperate little test coming away from a roundabout, it does about 52 im 2nd :D

Quote: Originally posted by docter fox on 09 January 2005

just got back in from a driving lesson with dad, i got 16 and he got 15 seconds

and as a seperate little test coming away from a roundabout, it does about 52 im 2nd :D
im assuming that these times would be for a 1,2 8v, as the 0-60 for the 1.2 16v is around 11.0-11.5 seconds (well mine was)

Octavia VRS

Quote: Originally posted by Red16 on 10 January 2005

http://www.passionford.com/forum/images/smiles/wtf.gif this thread is a load of sh*te!!

is my 1.2 16v faster than my mates 1.2 8vhttp://www.passionford.com/forum/images/smiles/gayfight.gif FFS get real http://www.passionford.com/forum/images/smiles/wall.gif

1.2 Clio/Punto/Nova - slow

2ltr Clio/CTR/VTS etc - pretty quick

Cossie/M3/EVO/Ferrari/Motorbike etc - FAST

getting back to the topic "how fast is a 1.2 clio?" - NOT VERY FAST AT ALL!!!
since when is a vts a 2.0?!!!!

different people talk about different stuff and have different opinions!- if you dont like, dont read END OF!!

Quote: Originally posted by POW_Clio on 10 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Red16 on 10 January 2005

http://www.passionford.com/forum/images/smiles/wtf.gif this thread is a load of sh*te!!

is my 1.2 16v faster than my mates 1.2 8vhttp://www.passionford.com/forum/images/smiles/gayfight.gif FFS get real http://www.passionford.com/forum/images/smiles/wall.gif

1.2 Clio/Punto/Nova - slow

2ltr Clio/CTR/VTS etc - pretty quick

Cossie/M3/EVO/Ferrari/Motorbike etc - FAST

getting back to the topic "how fast is a 1.2 clio?" - NOT VERY FAST AT ALL!!!
since when is a vts a 2.0?!!!!

different people talk about different stuff and have different opinions!- if you dont like, dont read END OF!!
didnt mean it like that, meant a saxo vts is similar performance to williams, very very very similar! just ask Craggy

and for you information a Xsara VTS is a 2 litre :D