ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how bad are standard exhausts...

renault clio cup 172
ok driving and started to hear the exhaust blowing. looked under and it was totally cracked and corroded really badly so i booked it in this week to get fixed. what happens it falls off before i get it there. so a mate welded it back together for now. that night it fell off again but a different part of it. time for a new exhaust but i dont have the money the now. sounds pretty good tho haaa

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
you sure a previous owner didnt get quickfit to fit them a backbox ;)

would explain alot

M2 Competition
Nope clio142, a kwikfit backbox would last longer than the standard renault item. They last around 30k miles, and then nothing can save them. Most will drop off at the backbox. Mine went at centre section on 29k.

renault clio cup 172
well mines is away jus after the cat lol....

might get a full straight through instead. but ive done about 200miles with it off and now i have noticed alot of difference in fuel. cost me a fortune now. must be somethin to do with that eh??

Burg 172-Charge Ti Duster
NO EXHAUST FTW!

All about the pressure in the pipes. No pipe - Less pressure - More Fuel. FACT! :D

Scirocco GT 210
The exhaust on my old one fell off at 40k miles. Pretty much exactly when I was expecting the damn piece of tin to fall off.:dapprove:

Mines almost dropping off - quite like the look of the milltek though i dont want the sound that comes with it - been ringing around a few garages for quotes on a standard box (cat back) and no one can quote me, they say they have to call the suppliers to get one ordered? - what kinda price can i expect? Its an 05 182

320d
Mines almost dropping off - quite like the look of the milltek though i dont want the sound that comes with it - been ringing around a few garages for quotes on a standard box (cat back) and no one can quote me, they say they have to call the suppliers to get one ordered? - what kinda price can i expect? Its an 05 182

The noise is the best think about the milltek. If you want a SS replacement with extra sound just go to a custom exhaust fabricator.

Monaco Blue Mk2
Mine fell off last week. I was told it was a new exhaust when I bout the car 3 and a half years ago. I've done 18,000 miles in that time. Quality exhausts!

renault clio cup 172
ok since the exhaust has fell off the car is like a rocket ship......HEAVY HEAVY on fuel but i raced a astra nurburgring and there was no winner plus raced a 200bhp 172 and mines is standard and i won too :S confused

PH1 iceburg
Baffles went on my original one at about 23k got an after market replacement from an exhaust place for £180 that has just gon at 34k. I had a k tec stealth fitted 2 weeks ago so hopefully thats going to last longer.

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
mine snapped last week so i got a 30 quid replacement from ledsons and fitted it in about 5 min lol

jamie

Amarok
Mine snapped off at 64000 on my 172, was really damaged and corroded so mite have been the original. replaced with kwick fit exhaust. really really bad exhust, loud, boomy and knocks. has any1 had the same plroblems with theres?

Clio 182 RB
Had a new cat fitted 3 months ago! nothink but problems with it since....rattling brackets coming loose...condensation dripping from the cat!...........all under warrentry though!

B

bach 172

mine fell off at 45k but was a fool and paid £130 for another standard bak box.should of got a stainless 1

DMS

A thirsty 172
Mine's done as near as makes no difference 58k now, and the standard exhaust has finally rusted through in 3 different places on the back box - the first of which was where the mounting bracket is welded on, so the whole thing was hanging down.
I have only owned it from 41k though, so it might have had a new one courtesy of the previous owner.
I'm a bit torn at the minute on which aftermarket exhaust system to replace it with. I like the look of the K-Tec recessed exhausts, but I live too far away for them to fit it. I could get it shipped to my house, but then who do I get to do the bumper cut out? I'm not doing it myself for fear of screwing it up.

09 GIXXER 750!!!

Is the MILLTEK that loud?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Mine's on 55k now - the original item from '04. Having said that, it's definitely sounding past its best now - lol.

I do think the type of driving you do has some impact on the longevity of an exhaust. I do about 3 miles both at the start and finish of each workday, matched with about 10 miles of motorway blat in the middle. I think this warm up -> get hot -> cooling down process has helped stretched the life of the standard item out.

And for all the bad press, the 182 item is a top quality item compared to my Punto unit! That was Bacofoil at its best.

I must admit, I've been toying with the idea of a replacement for a while. Are Haywood & Scott exhausts still a worthy contender?

D.

S1 16v 106 Rallye
Mine snapped in half. When I took it off I noticed it had been bandaged 2 times before. Total piece of s**t. Bought a stainless this time.

ITB'd 182...
64k on original exhaust.

Sounds a bit raspy now though ;) Think maybe i have blown a few baffles out...

STI JDM
Very common problem. Mine lasted 34k before it broke off. Had a stainless steel one put on for a while which sounded a little meaner and.... don't hold me to this but it also 'felt' a little more responsive at lower revs.
Would of kept it on there but due to selling, wanted to get it back to standard which Rentech done for a very good price. Top blokes down there :)

Mine's done 47k on the original system. Except for the cat which imploded after 12 months and was replaced under warranty. My back boxes look fine, but they rattle like a cunit internally when cold. I imagine the entire system will be shot before very long, but TBH 47k miles and 4 years isn't too bad IMO.

Vw caddy tdi
Friend of mine has put tiny spot weld on rear clamp that could be ground off to remove exhaust at any time. He swears his standard has given him no problems because its the clamp coming loose that increaeses movement and inturn snaps the exhaust eventually!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Mines on 4 years on march and currently on 22k. Looks alright to me at the moment.

172 Cup
Mine fell of on the dual carriageway lol exhaust bracket got ripped off the person behind looked very suprised! Got myself hayward system after that. Car only done 30K too.