ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Holy mother of god - what were Reno thinking?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
My car is currently in the Reno garage for the usual weeping washer problem.

In exchange, I have a 1.2 Mk3 Clio for the day.

Now, I'm not going to compare the performance of the 1.2 against the 182 as that would be totally unfair, but rarely have I felt such little faith in the car that I'm driving, as I do with this.

The car is truly, woefully and unashamedly underpowered. To a point where I almost think it's dangerous. On the M66, I had a couple of vans easily coast by me and had the constant impression that the engine really was working it's nutts off - simply to move forward. Looks in the rear view mirror are more critical than ever.

I had to laugh out loud when in top gear, I floored it at 65mph and watched the needle crawl clockwise and almost end up in Aberdeen, before it hit 70mph. 5th gear would be pointless other than increasing your mpgs and I think if the car was mine, it would never see 5th.

Then there's the steering. It goes like this. Nothing..........everything............nothing........everything. Where's the grey area? Subtle changes in direction result in a mass fight with the wheel to correct and over-correct the inputs that you've put into it. The Mk2 Clio feels like an infinite variable of degrees of turn-in and control. In comparison, the Mk3 just feels like an on/off switch.

Then I feel that I'm sat almost cab-height alongside the articulated trucks (who at the same time are over-taking me) and anything more than a slight dab of the brakes sends the car into panic mode. Clearly weighing in a three times the weight of the Mk2 Clio, a hard(ish) press on the middle pedal loads up the front waaaaay too much, which in turn causes the already scarey steering to go into a Guess-My-Direction-That-I'm-Heading competition........ with seemingly random results.

I really, really wanted to like the Mk3. Without question, I don't like the looks at all, but I was more than willing to overlook them from what it felt like to drive. But from that point of view, I hate it.

The build quality is much, much improved over the Mk2, but even as a shopping trolley, the 1.2 makes no sense at all to me. I would strongly suggest a dCi instead - simply to get the car to move. Preferably forward and at some point during the same day that you awoke.

The most shocking conclusion comes with the comparison of a Corsa CDTi that I drove the other week. It wasn't flash, had a really cheap interior but would be 50 places up on the list of cars I'd buy over the Mk3 1.2 Clio. It did what it needed to do - get you from A to B in relative comfort, not cost a lot and occassionally show a bit of its fun side.

'Fun' is a word that most definitely wasn't on the designer's mind with this. :rolleyes:

Shame on you Renault.

D.

LY V6 with Recaros
That sounds bad! My boyfriends 1.2 seems slow after being in mine, and I'd imagine the new one is a fair bit heavier than that!

133/225/CLS AMG
I'd have have thought that the current range of 'super minis' will have the same problem with their 1.2 ranges.
I mean look at the new Corsa, it appears as bulky as the new Clio and also comes in a 1.2. Gotta be super slow!!!!

I think if you park next to each other a MK1 1.2, MK2 ph1/ph2 1.2, and a MK3, its clear the cars are getting bigger but the engines aren't!

Meg on pistonheads £6995
Mk2: 7/10 for character, Mk3: -19.7/10

200kg does the damage

bigger, comfier, quieter - yes

dynamics, performance and economy - SH*T

1.2 MK2 PH2
But in renaults point of view, the clio isnt a boy racer car any more, they want people to buy the mk3 clio! so the mk2ph3 is for the ppl who need a small car for cheap these ppl dont really care about performance! but to add a extra 200kg on a car of the size is madness!

Meg on pistonheads £6995
god knows?

they've even made a major fu*k up on the emissions classes

dCi 80 like mine - 110mg carbon group AA (£50 tax, less now!), 68mpg combined, congestion charge exempt 2008

dCi 86 (latest shape) - 120 mg carbon group B, 62mpg combine

^ ^ a SERIOUSLY backwards step

Performance has taken a seriously backwards step too

NEW dCi 106 - 0-60 in 11.5, 117, group 5 insurance

MY REMAPPED 80 (identical 106bhp, but 200kg lighter) GPS'd @ 9.4, 122, group 3 insurance

Octavia VRS
I thought exactly the same when I tested a mk3 Clio at a Renault open day last year. Jumped in a Modus after (based on the underpinnings of the mk2 Clio iirc) and it felt amazing compared to the newer Clio.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It's the first hire car I've had, where I'm really not bothered about the drive home.

Whatever I've had previously, it's been good to drive something different and I've tended to enjoy it. With this, I just wish I could teleport myself to the garage afterwards.

I even walked to the butty shop at dinner as an excuse not to drive the damn thing. ;)

D.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Darren, I had a hire car last week ... a box standard 2005 focus 1.6.

In short .... I hated it, everything about it. It pitched and rolled on corners, slow as sh*t, guzzled fuel etc.. etc..

Even at the M6 toll when on the starting grid, i floored it in every gear to see what it could do and it was so slow i was tuning the radio in waiting for it to redline.

I know where your coming from, I just wanted to get back so i didnt have to drive it anymore !!!

many
being a 1.2 if it had more than 10 miles on the clock id say it had done the head gasket as thats about the life expectancy of one.

M2 Competition
I had one, good cars, sooo easy to drive around town.

Would swap my cup for one as a runaround in a flash

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Darren, I had a hire car last week ... a box standard 2005 focus 1.6.

In short .... I hated it, everything about it. It pitched and rolled on corners, slow as sh*t, guzzled fuel etc.. etc..

Even at the M6 toll when on the starting grid, i floored it in every gear to see what it could do and it was so slow i was tuning the radio in waiting for it to redline.

I know where your coming from, I just wanted to get back so i didnt have to drive it anymore !!!

Hey Mo - good to see you're still on here posting! I would have taken your Focus any day of the week over this! ;)

Maz - try £17 instead of the tenner! :eek:

D.