ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

high miles no belt change

Status
Not open for further replies.
  clio 182 sport
just wondered is anyone running about in there sport with a good amount of miles on without having the belts done yet. now i know its one of them things it could go or it could last you just dont know. im on 66666 miles now no belt change please tell curious cheers.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Change.

Now.

Simply not worth it at all. You might get another 60 miles out of it. You might get another 6,000 miles out of it. It simply isn't worth the risk as these can go without any prior warning - and as far as I'm aware, you'll need a minor miracle not to do any permanent engine damage as a consequence.

D.

Yes there are lots of people who haven't changed belts and are still going. There are also plenty of people living in warzones who haven't died yet.

However much money and inconvinience having the cambelt done is, it's certainly a lot less hassle and expense than an engine transplant/rebuild which will see you without a car for days/weeks.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Mine snapped last week was due it's second change in November which would of been 5 years so your taking a massive risk

Alien Green 200
Get it done now. Mine had no history but (by guesswork and word of mouth) calculated they had been done 4 years previously, took it to get them done and one of the idlers had cracked right across, the belt was over tensioned and the timing was slightly out. If id left it any amount of time longer it would have become very expensive very quickly.

Golf 7R
To get it done will probably be quite expensive, especially if you're skint, but not as much as you'd have to fork out if the Belt snaps.

For peace of mind just change it.

172 Cup
My cup is on 78k without a belt change till yesterday, having only just bought it, it was first on the list. Its now got a spanking new belt,pulleys, and aux belt on. Piece of mind for a few hundred? Well worth it.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
£500 isn't alot of money. Seems to be alot of people on here who buy them and then can't afford to maintain them.

53 Clio's & counting
just wondered is anyone running about in there sport with a good amount of miles on without having the belts done yet. now i know its one of them things it could go or it could last you just dont know. im on 66666 miles now no belt change please tell curious cheers.

SRS?

Yes, the miles are clost to the change, and it will be due or overdue on time

Change It

bg 182
i got mine changed just as it hit 60k fred at btm showed my my cam belt and it was F**ked could have gone at any time, my advice just do it i know it costs alot (£655) but its peace of mind. Just do it.

Astra (H) VXR
Mine was done at 53k and again at 84k it's just about to hit 90k now... I wouldn't risk not having it done especially with the devils millage on it lol

Clio 182 FF
I bought my 182 on Sunday with 54k no belt change :/ Not driving it till Tuesday and that's to the Renault garage to get both belts and a service done. Its killing me, just want to drive it instead of my paxo :( not worth it though.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
My Exclusive has 117k on it, i bought it for £800.

The belts were done at 79k. No idea when that was time wise. Will i get them done again? Unless its free, highly unlikley!

F56 MINI Cooper S
People think if you go a day over 5years, or a mile over 72k the belt will snap. Do it when youre ready imo. they quote them figures to cover there ass, they give 3 years warranty but doesnt mean that once its 3 years old it will constantly go wrong.

225 Cup & Williams
People think if you go a day over 5years, or a mile over 72k the belt will snap. Do it when youre ready imo. they quote them figures to cover there ass, they give 3 years warranty but doesnt mean that once its 3 years old it will constantly go wrong.

Do it when your ready? Are you being serious?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep

You really are an idiot. Stop giving advice on anything. Please... :dead:

I bought my 182 on Sunday with 54k no belt change :/ Not driving it till Tuesday and that's to the Renault garage to get both belts and a service done. Its killing me, just want to drive it instead of my paxo :( not worth it though.

That'll be an expensive service !!!!!!! :eek:

Pure Motorsport in Padstow / Carlton Garages in Exmouth / Rentec in Pompy... Fred/Danny oop Norf.... any of these would be cheaper/better for your wallet and probably the engine given the number of f**k ups by Renault we see on here.

SAAB 93 Aero TTiD SS
£650 quid to service £2500 car? No thanks. I'll keep driving mine, if it snaps....it snaps, I'll buy another car and drive that until goes bang. Its only a Clio!

225 Cup & Williams
£650 quid to service £2500 car? No thanks. I'll keep driving mine, if it snaps....it snaps, I'll buy another car and drive that until goes bang. Its only a Clio!

Surely buying another car is more expensive than getting the belts changed I would have thought.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Second hand engine is cheaper than a belt change.

Jus' sayin'.

;)

Thats why I haven't bothered. I'll drive it until it or the tensioner gives up. Then I'll buy as secondhand engine and fit new dephaser, belt kit, water pump and clutch all at the same time.

At least then it *should* be bomb proof for the forseeable future.

bg 182
for all those people who think changing the belts is too much like hard work then go for it, its your car and your money drive it till it snaps. if you are like the majority of people on this site who actually want to have a nice car maintain and look after it then follow the advice of the experts on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.